Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-13-2020, 06:25 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Delayed, noisy wake up

Does anyone else experience this:
My KP powers off (sleeps) automatically after 1 minute. Sometimes, when I press the shutter halfway to wake it up, it will make a noise for a second or several seconds before waking up. The noise is something like my laptop does when it's struggling with a heavy task - crunching sort of sound. I think it does it only after a lengthy sleep, like a few minutes or more.

Is this is a common occurrence with other KP users, this noise and delay in waking up? I never had this experience with my K5lls.

Thanks, Michael

Last edited by mahanpots; 02-13-2020 at 10:31 AM.
02-13-2020, 07:04 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On wake-up from sleep mode, all of my cameras, including the KP make a “shudder” sound which is the shake reduction doing a sensor cleaning action. This only lasts for a fraction of a second though. If yours is lasting for several seconds, you may have something that needs to be looked into.
02-13-2020, 07:19 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
On wake-up from sleep mode, all of my cameras, including the KP make a “shudder” sound which is the shake reduction doing a sensor cleaning action. This only lasts for a fraction of a second though. If yours is lasting for several seconds, you may have something that needs to be looked into.
Thanks for responding. Most of the time, there's just a tiny little sound for a fraction of a second and the camera turns back on, but sometimes it makes a more noisy sound for a second or two, and every once in a while the noisy delay will last several seconds. I'm trying to make it happen right now, and I can't seem to make it happen. I've just mostly ignored it, and I'm thinking of extending my auto power off to 10 minutes, which may take care of it.
02-13-2020, 07:25 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mahanpots Quote
Thanks for responding. Most of the time, there's just a tiny little sound for a fraction of a second and the camera turns back on, but sometimes it makes a more noisy sound for a second or two, and every once in a while the noisy delay will last several seconds. I'm trying to make it happen right now, and I can't seem to make it happen. I've just mostly ignored it, and I'm thinking of extending my auto power off to 10 minutes, which may take care of it.
You could try to turn off the Dust Removal at start up, (Tools menu #5) to see if that changes the occurrence of the longer sound.

02-13-2020, 08:03 AM   #5

The KP has a mechanical aperture motor instead of a solenoid which can sometimes be a bit noisy. Not sure why that would be causing an extended delay though.
02-13-2020, 08:39 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
You could try to turn off the Dust Removal at start up, (Tools menu #5) to see if that changes the occurrence of the longer sound.
I will try this, thanks. But first I need to pay more attention to the noisy delay. I was hoping to hear from someone who has experienced this. Maybe I should have posted on the general DSLR page rather than the specific KP page.

---------- Post added 02-13-20 at 08:41 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by selfnoise Quote
The KP has a mechanical aperture motor instead of a solenoid which can sometimes be a bit noisy. Not sure why that would be causing an extended delay though.
So, I've got two functions that could be looked into once I pay some more attention to the noisy delay. It's not something that happens all the time.
02-13-2020, 08:22 PM   #7
Pentaxian

The camera "goes to sleep" as a power-saving measure to prolong a battery charge. Often, when photographing an event, for example, there is a pause in the activity, so the photographer leaves the camera on so it will still be handy when next needed, which will be soon. So now the camera has put itself in standby to save battery juice.

When using the shutter button to "wake it up", there are number of functions that have to be reactivated. I am not technically informed enough to know if the Dust Removal function is one of those reactivated via the shutter release button. I've been under the assumption activation for this function occurs via the on/off switch. If this is true, the camera turned on via the on/off switch should take a wee bit longer to come fully on compared to coming out of standby via the shutter button.

Those I am sure are responsive to the shutter button are power reactivation, metering, SR, and AF which of course also is included in re-establishing info contact with the lens.

Ok- so first I turned on my KP, then let it sit. I just happen to have my Pentax DA 18-135mm DC WR lens mounted at this time. I took off the lens cap. The camera did very shortly turn itself off and was in standby. After 5 minutes or so, I hit the shutter button. I heard a little zzzt noise and the camera came on just afterward, less than one second I would say. By "came on" I mean the rear LCD screen lit up- I hope that is what you are talking about.

Next, I turned the camera off with the on/off switch and let it sit for a few minutes. Then I turned it on, let it sit, and it again turned itself off and was in standby once again. This time, I let it sit without touching it for some time, well over an hour. Then I picked it up and pressed the shutter button. This time I heard the little zzzzt noise maybe a bit longer, and thereafter it took longer, maybe 2 seconds or so for the rear screen to come on. Everything works fine with this camera. I don't see anything wrong with mine. I've had the KP for over 2 years. I should mount the same lens on my K-5 IIs to see if I notice anything different. The KP has a different AF design, a different SR design, and some different lens coupling factors, as well as a different metering system.

The camera has to re-engage the lens and has to re-activate a number of systems. It just seems like this is what is going on.

I don't blame you for wondering. If you've purchased this camera fairly recently, it should still be under warranty, so if anything is wrong, best to find out early.

Last edited by mikesbike; 02-13-2020 at 08:37 PM.
02-14-2020, 06:59 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
The camera "goes to sleep" as a power-saving measure to prolong a battery charge. Often, when photographing an event, for example, there is a pause in the activity, so the photographer leaves the camera on so it will still be handy when next needed, which will be soon. So now the camera has put itself in standby to save battery juice.

When using the shutter button to "wake it up", there are number of functions that have to be reactivated. I am not technically informed enough to know if the Dust Removal function is one of those reactivated via the shutter release button. I've been under the assumption activation for this function occurs via the on/off switch. If this is true, the camera turned on via the on/off switch should take a wee bit longer to come fully on compared to coming out of standby via the shutter button.

Those I am sure are responsive to the shutter button are power reactivation, metering, SR, and AF which of course also is included in re-establishing info contact with the lens.

Ok- so first I turned on my KP, then let it sit. I just happen to have my Pentax DA 18-135mm DC WR lens mounted at this time. I took off the lens cap. The camera did very shortly turn itself off and was in standby. After 5 minutes or so, I hit the shutter button. I heard a little zzzt noise and the camera came on just afterward, less than one second I would say. By "came on" I mean the rear LCD screen lit up- I hope that is what you are talking about.

Next, I turned the camera off with the on/off switch and let it sit for a few minutes. Then I turned it on, let it sit, and it again turned itself off and was in standby once again. This time, I let it sit without touching it for some time, well over an hour. Then I picked it up and pressed the shutter button. This time I heard the little zzzzt noise maybe a bit longer, and thereafter it took longer, maybe 2 seconds or so for the rear screen to come on. Everything works fine with this camera. I don't see anything wrong with mine. I've had the KP for over 2 years. I should mount the same lens on my K-5 IIs to see if I notice anything different. The KP has a different AF design, a different SR design, and some different lens coupling factors, as well as a different metering system.

The camera has to re-engage the lens and has to re-activate a number of systems. It just seems like this is what is going on.

I don't blame you for wondering. If you've purchased this camera fairly recently, it should still be under warranty, so if anything is wrong, best to find out early.
I bought my KP in October 2019, so I still have time to study this behavior before warranty runs out. Since I posted one day ago, the camera has not behaved as I've described. It's awakened quickly and pretty quietly. I appreciate you studying your camera's behavior. If it continues to misbehave, maybe I should call someone at Pentax or Precision Camera and discuss it.

02-14-2020, 07:48 AM   #9
Pentaxian

My KP does the "intermittent buzzy rattle" thing from switch-on intermittently ... to be honest, I've ignored it! It was only when it "buzzed" this morning when I switched it on in the hide that I remembered this thread.

I've stopped using the "Power-save" function simply because I found the "wake-up" time to be noticeably too long, on occasion, though I do keep the rear screen de-activated, so power consumption is minimal. I mention this simply to define that my experience only applies to a "switch-on from cold" scenario ... if you're experiencing it when "waking up" from power-save as well this might help to define the circumstances.
02-14-2020, 12:31 PM   #10
Pentaxian

The little “zzzt” noise is definitely dust removal on startup.
02-14-2020, 12:38 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
My KP does the "intermittent buzzy rattle" thing from switch-on intermittently ... to be honest, I've ignored it! It was only when it "buzzed" this morning when I switched it on in the hide that I remembered this thread.

I've stopped using the "Power-save" function simply because I found the "wake-up" time to be noticeably too long, on occasion, though I do keep the rear screen de-activated, so power consumption is minimal. I mention this simply to define that my experience only applies to a "switch-on from cold" scenario ... if you're experiencing it when "waking up" from power-save as well this might help to define the circumstances.
I wonder if your "intermittent buzzie rattle" is the same as my noisey delay. My noise might happen on startup sometimes, I'm not sure. I'm still waiting to hear it again.
02-14-2020, 05:05 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
I've stopped using the "Power-save" function simply because I found the "wake-up" time to be noticeably too long, on occasion
This is my experience, too. On occasion, my KP wakes up from "Power save" with a long noisy delay or "buzzy rattle," several seconds - long enough to lose the opportunity to photograph a quickly moving subject like a bird jumping from limb to limb. The length of the delay varies, when it does happen. Sometimes it's short, sometimes, long. This is nothing like the little "zzzt" which occurs on startup.
03-18-2020, 06:00 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
One month later:

UPDATE:
After a month, I've experienced this delay in both waking up and turning on. But I only experience it very seldom. I'm wondering if it's an extended session of dust removal, like every 100th time, the dust removal function does an extended session of several seconds. I'm not worrying about it, anyways. It doesn't happen often.