Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
03-06-2020, 03:08 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
New KP Owner

Hello to some old acquaintances and new ones

Old time forum member here and well old timer as well :-) . I have had various Pentax bodies (and truth be told various human shaped bodies as well). I bought a used K3 from a member here a while ago, enjoyed it (upgrade from K5 IIs) but I was still looking for something new. I just got frustrated waiting for the new 'flagship' Pentax APS-C sensor. And then realized I am not a professional nor do I play one on TV and every Pentax camera I have owned the limitations were human not the gear. So after many many months of spending that money on other stuff (in the want category not the need) it was time to add to cart , add to cart. New Pentax KP and new Pentax DA 16-85. (My damn DA* 16-50 finally bit the dust - seized up completely)

Of course I started here with research before the add the cart and as always the posts were informative and helpful. This damn camera has so many configurable options I may actually have to read the manual.

Just a quick note to say back in the game and looking forward to spring and getting out there (suppose to be 9cm of snow tonight ahhhhhhhhhhhh).

03-06-2020, 03:27 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Enjoy your new acquisitions and please share the results of your labours here

Post Your Best KP Shots - PentaxForums.com

and here

DA 16-85 WR,show us what it can do. - PentaxForums.com
03-06-2020, 03:32 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome. You will be astonished by the IQ on the KP and the way it handles iso up to 12800, brilliant! The ergonomics are different but they play very nicely with small, limited lenses. I set the top exposure button to exposure lock. In av I have back button focus, back dial is aperture, front is exposure compensation, top is Iso. That way you have everything to hand. You made a tremendous choice. The electronic shutter is lovely. There is a good video on YouTube by Mattias burling. Enjoy
03-06-2020, 03:33 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats!

03-06-2020, 04:14 PM   #5
Pentaxian

What's wrong with your 16-50? Can you at least focus manually?
03-06-2020, 04:34 PM - 1 Like   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Good to see your smiling face again and enjoy the new camera.

Steve
03-06-2020, 04:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
What's wrong with your 16-50? Can you at least focus manually?
What isn't wrong ....

Initially for a few years it was outstanding my most used lens by far ....loved everything about it.
Then the SDM motor would just hunt and hunt and eventually died
So I coveted it to Screw mount - it was again my favorite lens albeit considerably nosier but the mountains are not afraid of a little noise
This lasted for several more years
Then it Froze - something mechanical is wrong the lens would not extend and I could not turn it manually to increase focal length. Finally was I was committed to let it go, I did manage to hand crank it with considerable force (thought I would for sure snap something inside but nope). Sometimes it would loosen up for one or two more twists but then take quite a bit of force and 'lock' once back to 16mm. It still works and I can keep it as a 16mm and treat it like a prime , but I did make use of that focal range .......

I could have gotten a quote on fixing it , but I figured that is a $100 diagnosis and then was it worth it to get fixed (another $300 - $400 ? ) Instead I just pooled the repair money and bought the new DA 16-85 - slower yes but for my purposes should be just fine.

That's the story.

---------- Post added 03-06-2020 at 05:46 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Good to see your smiling face again and enjoy the new camera.
Steve
Thanks Steve good to 'see' you as well

---------- Post added 03-06-2020 at 05:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Enjoy your new acquisitions and please share the results of your labours here

Post Your Best KP Shots - PentaxForums.com

and here

DA 16-85 WR,show us what it can do. - PentaxForums.com
Thanks I hope to contribute soon

Last edited by daacon; 03-06-2020 at 04:52 PM.
03-06-2020, 06:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Welcome. You will be astonished by the IQ on the KP and the way it handles iso up to 12800, brilliant! The ergonomics are different but they play very nicely with small, limited lenses. I set the top exposure button to exposure lock. In av I have back button focus, back dial is aperture, front is exposure compensation, top is Iso. That way you have everything to hand. You made a tremendous choice. The electronic shutter is lovely. There is a good video on YouTube by Mattias burling. Enjoy
Thanks that one of the many features I am looking forward to better high ISO limits.
03-06-2020, 07:18 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
What isn't wrong ....

Initially for a few years it was outstanding my most used lens by far ....loved everything about it.
Then the SDM motor would just hunt and hunt and eventually died
So I coveted it to Screw mount - it was again my favorite lens albeit considerably nosier but the mountains are not afraid of a little noise
This lasted for several more years
Then it Froze - something mechanical is wrong the lens would not extend and I could not turn it manually to increase focal length. Finally was I was committed to let it go, I did manage to hand crank it with considerable force (thought I would for sure snap something inside but nope). Sometimes it would loosen up for one or two more twists but then take quite a bit of force and 'lock' once back to 16mm. It still works and I can keep it as a 16mm and treat it like a prime , but I did make use of that focal range .......

I could have gotten a quote on fixing it , but I figured that is a $100 diagnosis and then was it worth it to get fixed (another $300 - $400 ? ) Instead I just pooled the repair money and bought the new DA 16-85 - slower yes but for my purposes should be just fine.

That's the story.[
Ah... sorry to hear about that. Those lenses are supposed to be the better-built lenses, the "pro" stuff. But I guess they can fail just as much as anything else.

I hope the DA 16-85 fills its place nicely Good luck with it, the KP and 16-85 should be a great combination.
03-06-2020, 07:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
Ah... sorry to hear about that. Those lenses are supposed to be the better-built lenses, the "pro" stuff. But I guess they can fail just as much as anything else.

I hope the DA 16-85 fills its place nicely Good luck with it, the KP and 16-85 should be a great combination.
Thanks Yes it was disappointing - but I had a good run with it (11 year run ) so I paid about $110/yr for countless pictures very worth it to me. Although it should have lasted longer - SDM was a bad idea overall at least v1 but I am a glass half full kinda guy no regrets.
03-06-2020, 07:45 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Friggin daacon, what the heck buddy? Is Bob Harris back there behind you?

Does this mean there's going to be some buffalo or elk images soon?
03-06-2020, 07:58 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Friggin daacon, what the heck buddy? Is Bob Harris back there behind you?

Does this mean there's going to be some buffalo or elk images soon?
Hey everybody knows your name ! Norm !!!! Soon methinks ..... I keep in touch with Bob via FB .... he wife recently passed going though a hard time I think but we chat / message once in a while :-) Good to hear from ya.
03-07-2020, 07:55 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by daacon Quote
Hey everybody knows your name ! Norm !!!! Soon methinks ..... I keep in touch with Bob via FB .... he wife recently passed going though a hard time I think but we chat / message once in a while :-) Good to hear from ya.
Sad to hear that, but I remember she was pretty sick last time he was here on the forum.
03-07-2020, 08:09 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome back. Looking forward to more images from your direction.
03-07-2020, 09:58 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Welcome back. Looking forward to more images from your direction.
Thanks !