Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-31-2020, 04:31 AM   #16

Photos: Albums
If you can get your hands on the O-GPS-1 you can make use of the AstroTracer function. And that my friend is an awesome function if you can get to some dark skies.

03-31-2020, 11:41 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Other than the very fine DA* 60-250mm f/4, what other lenses do you normally use?
Pentax-F 100mm f2.8 Macro
Pentax-M 50mm f1.7
Sigma 17-70mm DC Macro

QuoteOriginally posted by DeKay Quote
If you can get your hands on the O-GPS-1 you can make use of the AstroTracer function. And that my friend is an awesome function if you can get to some dark skies.
Newfoundland has some designated dark sky areas, but as I said above my trip is indefinitely postponed. I am not going to be spending money on any new gear for quite a while anyway. Thanks for the suggestion though, I would love to try it someday.
03-31-2020, 05:56 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A fine lens setup! You should get very fine imaging with these. The M 50mm f/1.7 is very fine optically, though with the M you have limited functionality, such as metering, shooting modes, etc. I have the "F" version, got it brand new on my first-ever AF camera, a new Pentax AF 35mm film body, the SF-1n I believe, back around 1990, which I still like very much. I already had the M 50mm f/1.4 and M 40mm f/2.8 which I had been using with my ME Super.
04-01-2020, 12:15 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here's a shot I took with the M50/1.7 yesterday. It came with a ME Super I bought new back in the day.

Dogwood blossom taken with Pentax-M 50mm f1.7... - Apet-Sure's Album: Nature-KP - PentaxForums.com

Since I cut my photographic teeth with an all-manual camera (Vivitar 250/SL), I don't regard this lens as very limiting. I have often recommended it. And with the KP's live view capability manual focusing is even easier.

04-02-2020, 06:50 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, that closeup came out quite well! It is a fine portrait lens also when used on APS-C DSLR cameras.

My first SLR camera also was a Vivitar. I bought it new back when there was no auto anything available. I cannot recall the model. After 6 years with it and a screw-mount 50mm lens and a 135mm telephoto, the camera became dysfunctional so I bought a Pentax ME Super, along with the M 50mm f/1.4 and was totally amazed with the new aperture-priority auto-exposure technology. I loved watching it set my shutter speed for me.

BTW, my paternal grandmother and her family were from near the Asheville area. My grandfather was an engineer from Germany and met her there after taking a job nearby, which was the reason he made the trip over in 1905.

Last edited by mikesbike; 04-04-2020 at 01:21 PM.
04-03-2020, 03:27 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I also moved from my Vivitar to an ME Super, which is how I got the Pentax-M 50mm f1.7. Asheville is on the other side of the state from me, quite some distance away. It's beautiful over that way.
04-06-2020, 02:56 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My grandfather was a German engineer, came over to take a job overseeing mining machinery in NC back in 1905, during which he met my grandmother. My oldest uncle and aunt were born down there. They wound up moving up to Akron Ohio, when he accepted an offer from Harvey Firestone to be his chief engineer for his production machinery, around 1912. My dad was one of 6 kids growing up in Akron, where my mom also was raised. But my grandmother always kept in contact with relatives in NC. She moved back down there after my grandfather died.

After the kids grew up, in 1936, my grandfather received a great offer from US Rubber (Uniroyal Tires) up in Detroit to be their chief engineer. He had two properties, a fine home in Akron and farm property out in the country. My grandmother remained in charge, while he came up to Detroit along with one of his daughters, my Aunt Ann to be with him, and took an apartment about 2 blocks from the factory, which was located next to the bridge to Detroit's fine island park, Belle Isle. The following year, my dad and mom wanted to get married, but my dad had no job. My grandfather told him, never mind looking in Akron, come up here after the wedding- I can get you a job in the factory here. He said, Akron is nice, but Detroit is a paradise! They did so and got an apartment a couple more blocks in, and that is where I and my sister grew up. Belle Isle had so much back then- a great bathhouse and beach, canoes to rent for the island's lagoon system, horseback riding stables to rent a horse, ice skating, golfing, Scott Fountain-one of the world's best, a woods with deer, an athletic field for baseball, track and field, a bus station for the city bus service, a ferry boat across, a light house made of marble, and the Detroit Symphony Orchestra played there in the band shell on weekends during the summer. I am a lifetime audience member, even though they finally had to give up playing over there. Those were golden years, well into my adulthood. So much has been lost, so much now gone.

We finally had to move out of Detroit, though I continued with my career working downtown.

Last edited by mikesbike; 04-06-2020 at 03:37 PM.