Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
04-21-2020, 02:17 AM   #1
Forum Member

5 Axis SR

I have a K-70 and see no reason to change to a KP but since I've just bought a DA*300mm lens I wondering if the better shake reduction of the KP would make the switch worthwhile as there is no way I can keep the lens steady for hand held shots .

04-21-2020, 04:56 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Barrington Quote
I have a K-70 and see no reason to change to a KP but since I've just bought a DA*300mm lens I wondering if the better shake reduction of the KP would make the switch worthwhile as there is no way I can keep the lens steady for hand held shots .
It would be very hard to answer that question for someone else, but I don't see a lot of difference in holding the lens with the KP as there was with the K-50 or K-30. I would try different techniques on holding the camera before buying a new one, because I see a lot of people holding cameras in different ways. I shoot with the left hand under the barrel or holding the tripod foot, and both elbows tight against the torso. I shoot left eyed, I don't think that makes any difference, it's just more natural for me.
04-21-2020, 05:17 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought the KP for the 5-axis stabilization, and unlike the previous post, I do find a very significant difference between the SR in the KP and what I experienced with the K-5 series of cameras. However, the difference is mostly with wide to normal lenses, especially at longer distances (i.e., landscape photography). For a lens like the DA* 300, the differences are much smaller. My suspicion is that the 3-axis stabilization is optimized for moderate distances, and therefore works better for portraits shooting, still life, critters and much inferior for landscape.
04-21-2020, 06:49 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

First up you should work on your technique. I find I can handhold my A 400/5.6 quite comfortably on my K-50 (which according to the review index is the same weight as the DA*300 with hood and tripod foot). With good technique, and SR, I can get a sharp photo at 1/10s kneeling down handheld... I always refer people to this excellent guide to improve steadiness handheld: Shooting Long Exposures Hand-Held - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

If you really cannot use the lens handheld, I would then recommend trying a monopod, however I find I prefer to shoot the A 400 handheld than with a monopod.

04-21-2020, 08:12 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

I find no noticeable difference between my K-70 and my KP with regards to shake reduction, however the KP's autofocus is more capable at tracking a moving subject, so this might be causing you some blurred shots. That's the reason I bought my KP and I'm pleased I did
04-23-2020, 04:10 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Dont switch camera because of that...

-
Besides, you will hardly see any benefit, on such a long lens. Pentax have not IS well prepared for shaky hands at 300 mm . You always must follow the rule of the speed according to your focal length, because at 300 mm, IS is weak .

-
Maybe I'm wrong, but K-70 is a new camera, so it's KP - and IS in both of them is good ( enough, not excellent ),

If you don't exaggerate things, hoping the IS will fix the thing at 300 mm, shaky hands, and shutter speed slower than 1/80 - both cameras will have almost same capabilities in correcting the blur
04-23-2020, 04:28 AM - 4 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The biggest benefit of the “5 axis” SR, and you need to use that term very carefully as it really means degrees of freedom, is it offers protection of movement around the axis of the lens.

There is a natural tendency to rotate the camera as you press the shutter release.

But this can be countered with technique, specifically keeping the elbow in contact with your body.

I managed, from time to time, 1/40th of a second shutter speed, using a lens +TC that worked out to 510mm on a cropped sensor. The golden rule suggests I should be shooting at 1/750 That’s about 4 1/2 stops,

I doubt I would be better with a 5 axis system. There is no substitute for technique.

04-23-2020, 05:15 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
The biggest benefit of the “5 axis” SR, and you need to use that term very carefully as it really means degrees of freedom, is it offers protection of movement around the axis of the lens.

There is a natural tendency to rotate the camera as you press the shutter release.

But this can be countered with technique, specifically keeping the elbow in contact with your body.

I managed, from time to time, 1/40th of a second shutter speed, using a lens +TC that worked out to 510mm on a cropped sensor. The golden rule suggests I should be shooting at 1/750 That’s about 4 1/2 stops,

I doubt I would be better with a 5 axis system. There is no substitute for technique.
steady hand and good techinque are always good stabilisation
04-30-2020, 04:48 AM   #9

Barrington,
I have a KP and a new (12 weeks? old) DA* 300mm, and for hand held I need at least shutter speed of 1000th when shooting birds.
By the way, yesterday I left the tripod mount on and it felt easier to grip while out shooting.

Slightly off topic, but I have noticed slight movement/play in the focus barrel, not sure if I'm worrying uneccessarly though.

Have you any sideways play on the 300 lens barrel?
04-30-2020, 01:20 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Loadoftripe Quote
Have you any sideways play on the 300 lens barrel?
Never noticed it but yes mine is the same .
Not used anything near 1000th , I usually have it set to 1/320 up to 1/640 max .
Did you see the Robin I shot here : Robin - PentaxForums.com
05-01-2020, 08:59 AM   #11

Nice to hear your lens is the same re. slight movement on the focus barrel, I didn't really expect it on a quality Pentax Lens, but hey ho.

Yes saw your picture of the Robin, brilliant, nice picture.

I maybe able to reduce my shutter speed as I have purchased a Trecking/monopod pole that accepts a screw mount for the camera lens,
much lighter than a tripod, carbon fibre I believe.