Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2020, 10:46 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
USB Fail

I have tried numerous USB cables, but I cannot connect my KP to my laptop running Windows 10.

Problem solved! I found a cable that works; an AmazonBasics!!!

Thanks to all for your help and suggestions.

David

Last edited by doc58bc; 05-01-2020 at 10:50 AM.
04-24-2020, 11:00 AM   #2

There's a setting in the KP menu for USB connection type. Try changing that.
04-24-2020, 12:47 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by doc58bc Quote
I have tried numerous USB cables, but I cannot connect my KP to my laptop running Windows 10.
With the camera USB setting on MSC and a formatted SD card in the camera and computer booted, turn the camera off and connect the cables. When the camera is turned on, it should be recognized as a removable USB drive. Before turning the camera back off, be sure and remove/eject the drive from your computer. Be sure your battery charge is up or use the optional AC power adapter to make sure the camera does not lose power while connected to the computer.

Steve
04-24-2020, 03:07 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks Steve, but the computer still does not recognize the camera!
David

04-24-2020, 03:58 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Have you checked in "Device Manager" to see if the computer knows "something" is connected but simply doesn't recognise it, or even Explorer or "My Computer" to see if the computer, for whatever reason, is recognising the camera but simply not giving you a notification? The "Autoplay" feature can be a little finicky sometimes. Also just possible the computer doesn't recognise the card in the camera, try a different card, perhaps? Don't suppose you've got access to another computer to help eliminate options?

Good luck!
04-24-2020, 04:34 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I avoid these problems by simply using a usb card reader.
04-24-2020, 05:04 PM   #7
Inactive Account

me too using the SD card reader.

Maybe check if the USB slot is damaged? Try different cables on different devices. if it works on different devices but not on your camera, then it is not the cable problem.
Also, I sometimes have problems with USB3 slot after installing updates for windows 10. But USB 2 slots always work. So if you sure it is not the camera, not the cable then it could be USB driver on your computer is messed up or something. Reinstall the USD driver might help.

04-24-2020, 06:00 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Thanks Steve, but the computer still does not recognize the camera!
David
Does the camera recognize the card? There must be a properly formatted card in the default slot.

Steve
04-24-2020, 07:30 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Make sure you are using the right cable and not trying jam one in from an older Pentax camera, it's a micro B cable now.
04-25-2020, 09:34 PM - 1 Like   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Make sure you are using the right cable and not trying jam one in from an older Pentax camera, it's a micro B cable now.
This is an excellent point, one that I did not fully appreciate until this evening. Prior to the K-3, Pentax cameras used proprietary fittings that required Pentax-brand USB cables. Cables that came with a camera made before about 2006 will not work with the newer cameras. The KP uses a generic USB cable with a micro B connector that should look like the one at the bottom of the center column in the diagram below (labeled "Micro B") and should have 5 contact pins:

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-26-2020 at 01:03 PM.
04-25-2020, 09:40 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Also, some cables are for charging only. Those won't work for data.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: