Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 17 Likes Search this Thread
05-05-2020, 11:02 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 EX DG APO Macro HSM II work on a KP?

Hi everybody,

I'm thinking of buying a KP (maybe). On my currrent camera, the K-3, and the previous one, the K-5, one of my favourite and most-used lenses is the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 EX DG APO Macro HSM II. I have a feeling that this lens won't work on the KP, although I can't find a definitive answer to it. Does anybody know?

And how about other Sigma (HSM) lenses: I also have the Sigma 10-20/4-5.6 EX DC J, which is another favourite, and the Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4 DC Macro HSM.

If anyone could shine some light on this, I'd really appreciate it!

05-05-2020, 03:09 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I use several Sigma lenses with my KP, a 10-20mm EX, an 18-50mm, a 70-200mm f/2.8 EX and a 150-500mm APO DG OS HSM, the first three being screw-focus, the fourth having just an integral motor and no screw-drive, so I'm quite confident your 70-200mm will be no problem, nor any of the others, for that matter. Just bear in mind, though you probably already know from your older bodies, not to engage stabilisation in-lens and in-body at the same time, the suggestion being that they might "fight" each other, also that independent tests suggest that the in-lens stabilisation may be slightly superior to the in-body system for a telephoto lens ... my brief tests indicate there's not much in it

Enjoy
05-05-2020, 03:17 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you! To be honest, that would be a relief! I'd hate it if I weren't able to use them anymore - I just really like them and if they didn't work, it would make me think again about buying the KP! Of course, in 'normal' times I'd go to a shop that sells Pentax cameras and just try it, but unfortunately that's just a bit difficult at the moment. Thanks again!
05-05-2020, 10:10 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

The lens should normally work.

05-05-2020, 10:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
worth a read.... Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG APO Macro HSM II Firmware Update Help for my K-1??? - PentaxForums.com
05-06-2020, 11:16 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes, I was aware that the lens needed adjusting for the K-1, but does that go for the KP as well? That's what I'm hoping to discover, because I haven't been able to find anything relating to the KP. Maybe it goes for all the more recent Pentax cameras, but maybe it's just the K-1?

Thank you very much for the link anyway. I looked up the available info here (NL). As it happens, the Sigma Benelux office is located in the town where I live, so that would be convenient. What's not so convenient, is that there is no mention of mount conversion service for the 70-200 at all, not even if you're willing to pay.

I'm still hoping someone who has both this lens and a KP, will read this and post a reply to reassure me that there's no problem whatsoever.
05-06-2020, 06:54 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

I have the last model of the sigma in pentax mount... so I'm no use for you there. I did have the mount changed a few years ago to suit the K1.... and only recently the apperture blades were sticking... due to some binding in the mount (I took it apart to see if I could fix it... but no)... so it went back and was replaced... about $130 this time.... so I know they still have mounts with the chamfer to suit the K1. I think would probably be reasonably safe to assume the K1 issues with your model lens (firmware... not mount) would apply to the KP.... but good luck anyhow!

05-07-2020, 10:53 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
FWIW, both the Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM and Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM work fine with my KP. They were developed well before the KP and in the similar, overlapping time frame as your lens.
05-07-2020, 03:43 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't have the Sigma 70-200mm lens in question, but I do have 2 Sigma EX DC HSM lenses, the 17-50mm f/2.8, which works on the KP just fine, and the 10-20mm f/3.5, which in fact is on one of my KP bodies right at this moment and has been perfectly fine also.

I am trying to theorize why the problems with the K-1. Obviously, the mounting opening and configurations would be different as a FF model vs. APS-C. The K-1 and KP are related in design of controls, but in every other way I know of, they are different animals. If one could find out what the nature was regarding the firmware update, it might shed some light on why it was necessary with the K-1 and not with other Pentax camera bodies. Maybe Ricoh/Pentax would know.
05-08-2020, 04:08 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
I have the last model of the sigma in pentax mount... so I'm no use for you there. I did have the mount changed a few years ago to suit the K1.... and only recently the apperture blades were sticking... due to some binding in the mount (I took it apart to see if I could fix it... but no)... so it went back and was replaced... about $130 this time.... so I know they still have mounts with the chamfer to suit the K1. I think would probably be reasonably safe to assume the K1 issues with your model lens (firmware... not mount) would apply to the KP.... but good luck anyhow!
Thanks, Noel, if I buy the KP, one of the first lenses I'll try will be the Sigma. I'll post the outcome in this topic.

---------- Post added 05-08-20 at 13:09 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
FWIW, both the Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM and Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM work fine with my KP. They were developed well before the KP and in the similar, overlapping time frame as your lens.
Thanks, Roger! Keeping my fingers crossed (and I forgot to mention in my opening post that I have a Sigma 150-500 as well ).

---------- Post added 05-08-20 at 13:21 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I don't have the Sigma 70-200mm lens in question, but I do have 2 Sigma EX DC HSM lenses, the 17-50mm f/2.8, which works on the KP just fine, and the 10-20mm f/3.5, which in fact is on one of my KP bodies right at this moment and has been perfectly fine also.

I am trying to theorize why the problems with the K-1. Obviously, the mounting opening and configurations would be different as a FF model vs. APS-C. The K-1 and KP are related in design of controls, but in every other way I know of, they are different animals. If one could find out what the nature was regarding the firmware update, it might shed some light on why it was necessary with the K-1 and not with other Pentax camera bodies. Maybe Ricoh/Pentax would know.
Thanks, Mike, that sounds hopeful.

I'm a-technical, so I've been assuming all along that it probably had something to do with the newer Pentax bodies. On the other hand, it might be due to the difference in FF vs APS-C only, in which case there shouldn't be a problem with the Sigma and the KP. And yes, I'd love to know why the alteration on the K-1 was needed. It's quite frustrating that there doesn't seem to be an extensive list of lenses that will work, but that's probably taking it too far considering the vast number of lenses around. I found that there's hardly anything listed on the Sigma site either and as they're not supporting Pentax bodies anymore, that will likely not change any time soon.

Last edited by lidy; 05-08-2020 at 01:37 PM.
05-08-2020, 09:06 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, I've found the answer to my own question: it works like a charm, just as fast and secure as always. How I know? I'm the luckiest woman in the world! I was still contemplating whether to buy the KP or not and in the meantime my better half just decided he was going to buy it for me. So there it was this afternoon! I am over the moon! It's a very nippy, lightweight camera; it seems a lot lighter to me than the K3. Of course one of the first things I had to try was the Sigma 70-200 and, as said, no problem whatsoever! Now I've got to look into the settings and try and find my way around them - seems a bit daunting!
05-08-2020, 10:38 AM - 4 Likes   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
One of the first pictures taken with the KP and Sigma 70-200

Here's one of the first pictures I took with the KP and of course the Sigma 70-200. Some weird settings, I know, can't find anything yet , taken at - for me - very high ISO (6400) which it seems to handle very well! I already love this little camera, so I think I'm going to keep it!

---------- Post added 05-08-20 at 19:40 ----------

I'd like to thank everybody that thought along with me! Thank you very much!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX KP  Photo 
05-08-2020, 10:47 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lidy Quote
in the meantime my better half just decided he was going to buy it for me.
Congratulations on your new camera! That is a wonderful picture of your dog.

Perhaps we should make your better half an honorary member of Pentax Forums!

- Craig
05-08-2020, 10:50 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hahaha, thank you! Apparently my better half already IS a member here, albeit I think not an honorary one, but he can't remember under which name.
05-08-2020, 01:54 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congrats on the new KP! And a very adorable dog, love the photo.