Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2020, 08:59 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Turn on KP display?

Weird question maybe, but can anybody tell me how to turn the Display of the KP ON? Turning it OFF is easy enough: press Info twice and use arrows to go the 3rd icon. So how do I set it now to Display ON? I've tried everything, scroll wheel, arrows, but nothing seems to have any effect.

Any help/info would be greatly appreciated.

05-14-2020, 09:00 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Press Info twice and use arrows to go to the first icon... that's how it is with the K-50, not sure about the KP.
05-14-2020, 09:16 AM - 1 Like   #3

Photos: Gallery
I can confirm that's how it works.
05-14-2020, 10:20 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It'll also go back on if you turn the camera off, then on again.

05-14-2020, 10:46 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Press Info twice and use arrows to go to the first icon... that's how it is with the K-50, not sure about the KP.
Thanks, Bert, it's the 3rd icon on the KP. But it still says Display Off.

---------- Post added 05-14-20 at 19:46 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by selfnoise Quote
I can confirm that's how it works.
Thanks!

---------- Post added 05-14-20 at 19:49 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
It'll also go back on if you turn the camera off, then on again.
Okay, just so I understand: the 3rd icon ALWAYS says Display Off, but it will actually come on/go off (depending on the time you've set in the Menu?) when turning the camera on/off?

Can you somehow set it so that it shows Display On and have the display then on all the time?
05-14-2020, 10:58 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lidy Quote
Can you somehow set it so that it shows Display On and have the display then on all the time?
Thanks, Bert, it's the 3rd icon on the KP. But it still says Display Off.
First icon is the main status screen, second is electronic level, third is display off.
If you want the display on, you need to select the first...
05-14-2020, 11:12 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
First icon is the main status screen, second is electronic level, third is display off.
If you want the display on, you need to select the first...
Ahh, now I understand the OP's dilemma. OP looked at the screen display selection as an on/off switch as opposed to a "what to display" selection.

05-14-2020, 11:41 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Okay, guys, and yes @rogerstg, that's exactly what I thought! Forgive my going-on about this, but what's the use then of this Display OFF showing?

Anyway, funny really - I thought my recently acquired KP was broken! Thank you so much!
05-14-2020, 03:26 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

Forgive my going-on about this, but what's the use then of this Display OFF showing?

For me, keeping the rear display off until I actually want to use it makes perfect sense. Firstly, it helps save on battery, and the KP needs all the help it can get, secondly, having a brightly lit screen right below my eye-level can be really distracting, especially if one or more of the settings is flickering as I pan with the subject ... or when working from within a relatively dimly-lit hide or similar.

Just my tuppence worth ... YMMV
05-14-2020, 03:38 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
For me, keeping the rear display off until I actually want to use it makes perfect sense. Firstly, it helps save on battery, and the KP needs all the help it can get, secondly, having a brightly lit screen right below my eye-level can be really distracting, especially if one or more of the settings is flickering as I pan with the subject ... or when working from within a relatively dimly-lit hide or similar.
Just my tuppence worth ... YMMV
Okay, I understand that (I think), You're saying that the time you can set in the Menu to switch off the display, is too long for you? You want to be able to switch it off immediately, and that's when you use this. Am I right?
05-14-2020, 04:14 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

Okay, I understand that (I think), You're saying that the time you can set in the Menu to switch off the display, is too long for you? You want to be able to switch it off immediately, and that's when you use this. Am I right?
It doesn't appear to me kypfer is complaining about anything, just finding this feature to be valuable.

---------- Post added 05-14-20 at 04:17 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
Ahh, now I understand the OP's dilemma. OP looked at the screen display selection as an on/off switch as opposed to a "what to display" selection.
Exactly. That is what this screen is for- to select the type of display screen to be used. Selecting "off" means just that- a blank display screen. Selecting the first option will deliver the standard display screen. However, I just checked, and if turning the camera off then on, even though having previously selected screen "off" it will indeed come back on anyway just by turning the camera back on.

A similar thing if one uses the info screen to access the quick adjustments screen. If one then turns the camera off, that will exit this screen and the standard screen will be back. But if one selects the type of info displayed, including none, when pertaining to the preview screen, that choice will remain even when turing off the camera.

Last edited by mikesbike; 05-14-2020 at 04:27 PM.
05-15-2020, 06:03 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
It doesn't appear to me kypfer is complaining about anything, just finding this feature to be valuable.[COLOR="Silver"]
Not for a moment did I want to imply that Kypfer was complaining. I apologize if I gave that impression. I'm merely trying to get my head around how this option works and what its use is. It seems that I just had the wrong idea of what it actually does.

Thanks to the elaborate and patient info and explanations given here, I'm getting there. And you never know: eventually I just may start liking and using it myself!

So, no implications meant, blame it on my inadequate knowledge and usage of English, which is not my mother tongue.

Thank you all, I really appreciate the helpful info and the time you spent to enlighten me.
05-15-2020, 06:25 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Guys, use the third wheel to turn on/off the rear display. So comfortable also in many other situations ...
05-15-2020, 08:25 AM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

eventually I just may start liking and using it myself!
QuoteOriginally posted by cport Quote
Guys, use the third wheel to turn on/off the rear display. So comfortable also in many other situations ...
Third wheel suggestion is helpful. Similarly, I use the third wheel for outdoor view settings. It goes from very dim to bright. At night I switch to night vision, which is also dimmed and brightened with the third wheel outdoor view settings. Night vision is cancelled if the camera is turned off though, so it's better to let the camera sleep instead.
05-15-2020, 08:59 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Reading how people use various buttons/wheels/settings is really helpful! The number of options the KP offers is pretty daunting! So thank you all!