Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-19-2020, 06:44 AM   #1

KP metering...

I have ordered a new Pentax KP. I have a Pentax K-70. The K-70 consistently overexposes when using the 77-segment metering modes. I currently use the center-weighted mode to overcome the overexposure problem. I tried underexposing by 1/3 stop but didn't like the results. Jpeg only...no raw.
Can anyone advise whether the KP suffers from a similar overexposure malade when using the 77-segment metering modes?
Research/reading didn't seem to answer my query...

05-19-2020, 07:55 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Do not be afraid of this. With K-5II and KP I usually took -0,5EV ...
05-19-2020, 08:12 AM   #3
Pentaxian

My K-70 gives me no problems ... neither does my KP. Are you sure you haven't got some exposure compensation dialed in with the camera set to remember the exposure compensation setting? Presumably the problem occurs with a variety of lenses and it's not just a sticky/sluggish aperture?
05-19-2020, 08:55 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Geophotoguy Quote
I tried underexposing by 1/3 stop but didn't like the results. Jpeg only...no raw.
If you can tell the difference of 1/3 stop and the overexposure is less than that, I suggest shooting in DNG or PEF and adjusting the curves in post.

QuoteOriginally posted by Geophotoguy Quote
Can anyone advise whether the KP suffers from a similar overexposure malade when using the 77-segment metering modes?
The KP does not have a 77-segment meter mode. It has a completely different metering system (shared with the K-3/K3-II and K-1) that uses an 87Kpx RGB sensor that allows for complex scene analysis. Whether that "overexposes" is hard to say. I have been satisfied with its performance on my K-3 and freely override (sometimes with hand-held meter) if needed. Again, shooting DNG or PEF might give the degree of control you desire.

Steve

05-19-2020, 04:47 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't have the K-70. But my experience is, my K-5 IIs tends to underexpose slightly, about 1/3 stop, while my KP is right on. This of course is for ordinary scenes not likely to fool the meter. I don't necessarily keep my exposure comp active for the K-5 IIs, as it is close enough for most scenes, if conditions are bright or if using flash. The metering system of the KP is different from that of the K-70. I also have a K-S2, which seems to meter very well. I am speaking all JPEG images right out of the camera.

My KP is my all-time favorite for right out of the camera results. As with all, I set up "Fine Sharpening" in the Custom Image menus for "Bright", "Natural" and "Landscape" categories.

With prior models, my K-r metered very well, with a slight tendency towards overexposure. My K20D tends to underexpose by about 2/3 stop (maybe more), while my K200D tends to underexpose by about 1/2 stop (maybe more).

One other consideration- viewing with a backlit screen (the usual way these days) tends to over-brighten the image, especially the rear screen of the camera. And yes, the problem could be with the lens.

It would be helpful if you could post some examples, complete with exif.

Last edited by mikesbike; 05-21-2020 at 10:10 PM.
05-19-2020, 05:27 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I always considered my KP to ETTR. I dial in -.5ev or drop it in post.