Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2020, 09:45 AM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
3 Legged Thing Ellie Short on KP

This is the best solution I've come up with so far for the KP without a grip, there's probably others out there I haven't discovered yet. It's not perfect but it seemed to work well enough yesterday when I played around with it.

I've been wanting an L-bracket for the KP and recently came across references here to this bracket. I've been using a small, older RRS tripod plate I bought for a different camera, but it has a lip at the back that slightly interfered with the tilt screen. I've tried several other plates without a lip but have too much trouble with the camera rotating on the plate when I shift the camera to vertical.

It does allow access to the doors on the left side of the camera.

There are two separate places for the bottom screw. Both will allow the battery door to be opened without removing the bracket.

I really liked the fact this bracket has a place to attach a camera strap, and is something I really wanted. However, with the bracket mounted as above, the strap connection rubbed on the battery door - there's not quite enough clearance. So I changed how it was mounted. The strap connector no longer interferes with the battery door.

The disadvantage of this configuration is that the center of the lens is not over the center of the tripod. While I don't think it will bother me for most of what I use a tripod for, it could be an issue for others who need to have the camera rotate around a fixed point. Most of the time I only need something that's going to be steady.

The back of the plate is cut back so that there's enough room for me to operate the flip screen, and there's no lip to interfere with the screen closing.

In this configuration the left upright does not touch the side of the camera, but is very close to it. I'm somewhat concerned about rotation but it seems to be designed well enough for this to not be a problem. But I'll need to spend some more time with it to really judge. I'm going to leave it this way for now, as I really want to use the strap connection.

06-05-2020, 11:03 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That looks like an excellent solution. Congratulations!

Steve
06-05-2020, 03:33 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for posting, looks good. What ball head & Quick Release Plate do you use?
I have been using a Manfrotto 498RC2 Ball Head,* with RC2 Rapid Connect Plate*connection since my Canon days. I am hoping to be able to continue to use 498RC2 Ball head,
06-05-2020, 04:03 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Both ball head and quick release plate are Acratech, purchased several years ago. The L-bracket is Arca-Swiss compatible and seems to work with my RRS macro rails (though I haven't really tried using it for macro yet) and a small RRS ball head I have for a tabletop tripod.

The L-bracket comes with stop screws on the bottom. The Acratech QR plate is big enough that they interfered - simply removing them makes the bracket work correctly.