Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
06-09-2020, 12:55 PM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Albums
The Journey continues

I have finally bought a KP.

For a while I have been cursing my K50 because it has developed the aperture issue. This was until I remembered buying the K50. Back in 2015 I was looking to get the sweet 18-135 for my K-R. I then spotted the lens bundled with the K50. The deal looked too good to be true. I basically got the lens I wanted and a K50 for just £150 more!

Sadly it seems that from the early days of digital cameras became somewhat less reliable. I had power issues with the ist-dl (Repaired) a focus problem with the K-r (Replaced under warranty) and now the K50. This, and the posts on here have caused me to be unwilling and too scared to invest too deeply in a decent mid range digital. With film cameras I was lucky to never have any issues, indeed my ME super and SFX both still work.

Fortunately the fabulous deals kicking about on the KP has meant that I have not taken a huge risk and I truly hope it can assist in doing some of my glass justice.

06-09-2020, 01:04 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome. Sorry you have had some issues with camera bodies. The k-50 has been a problem but that isn't universal. My daughter-in-law has a K-50 that I repaired the aperture solenoid on. On the other hand I have owned the k-x, k-5, k-5IIs, k-3, k-3II and K-1 with no issues with any of them. I guess I have been lucky. But I have had to have a number of lenses repaired over the years, so I guess it is hit or miss.
06-09-2020, 01:26 PM   #3

Original Poster
I will look into repairing / replacing the solenoid, it shouldn't be too difficult. To be fair the replacement K-R is still working fine, my son now has it, though he's looking to follow the mirrorless trend.
06-09-2020, 01:49 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is an instruction thread on here somewhere with VERY detailed instructions and photos. I think the poster is "photogem" but not sure.

06-09-2020, 02:58 PM   #5
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forums, from Australia. I am sorry to hear you have had such negative experiences with digital cameras. Mine (K10D and K3) has been just the opposite. No issues at all. With film bodies, on the other hand, I had the light meter issue with my MX (fixed that myself) and the break down of the foam seals a few years later (these were replaced); then I had the broken gear on my MZ5n (replaced with the metal one just before the distributor stopped supporting them). My only issue with digital have been caused by me filling the buffer faster than it could write sometimes. As digital cameras become more complex though, there are going to be issues. Digital and disposable seem to go together in a lot of things these days. I don't think that is a good thing. For some of us (like me) the more we pay for a camera, the longer we need it to last. In the film days many things were more easily fixable. And in the days before cameras we could just engrave a picture on a rock wall and have it last for thousands of years. We still could do that, I suppose.
06-09-2020, 03:01 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
And in the days before cameras we could just engrave a picture on a rock wall and have it last for thousands of years. We still could do that, I suppose.
We could set up a camera obscure and use Dremel tools.
06-09-2020, 08:29 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Barmybobuk Quote
I have finally bought a KP.
Congratulations, the KP is one heck of a step up. I have a K-50 also, I did have to send mine in for a warranty repair of the Battery Hook (the little retainer that holds the battery in) and they changed the aperture block also even though it had no problems. I love the K-50, but the KP runs circles around it. It will take a little to get used to because the grip is different, but that doesn't take too long. Have fun and hope you have much better luck!

06-10-2020, 05:05 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You will love the KP, I had the K10D, K20D and a K3 before I bought my KP and it's just a fabulous camera in my view.
06-10-2020, 11:56 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Well the camera has arrived and I have to say I am impressed. It's a heavy beast very well put together and ultra quiet. But it's clear it's going to take a while to get my settings sorted and learn yes I know READ THE MANUAL
06-11-2020, 06:41 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Well the camera has arrived and I have to say I am impressed. It's a heavy beast very well put together and ultra quiet. But it's clear it's going to take a while to get my settings sorted and learn yes I know READ THE MANUAL
Asking people on the forum is often better. The times I can't find something in the manual, well, somebody has found it and often it's more complex than I would have anticipated.
06-11-2020, 05:48 PM   #11

Original Poster
Well I've had a play today but I am all over the place. I've been working in the P setting mostly but have failed to capture anything yet that I'm really happy with. It's clearly my fault, either I've turned something on that should be off, or the opposite

Tomorrow I am going to re-set everything, go into Auto mode and start again!
06-11-2020, 08:28 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Since you are used to using the ME Super, you'll have no problem adapting to handling the KP's lack of a bulky right hand grip. If you like shooting JPEG images right from the camera for convenience, the KP's processor does an exceptional job. But you cannot make adjustments with your mode dial set on "Auto". So first, keep that dial to "P" (Program) for fully automatic exposure by the camera, which will allow full control by the user at any time. Then be sure to set "Fine Sharpening" in the Custom Image menus, especially in the most often-used "Bright" category. Your DA 18-135mm should perform very well with the KP, as it does on mine.

I advise always- avoid the "Auto" mode. It disallows most of the KP's excellent control features, and will automatically set what it "thinks" is appropriate among the Custom Image options for color palette, sharpening, etc. This mode is mainly for temporary use by someone who is a complete novice, so they don't accidentally activate a control and get a bad result. In your case, it will block most of the options normally at your fingertips, indeed including not allowing access to the exclusive Pentax Hyper System. In "P" mode this is available. You can at any time override the camera's choice of aperture or shutter speed and choose your preference, simply by using the thumb or finger dial to make your choice- simple as that! This means you can effectively on the fly instantly switch to Av to Tv operation without having to first switch the mode dial. A touch of the green button will instantly restore full "P" mode. This is the Pentax "Hyper Program" feature. Very handy and efficient.

With the mode dial set to Manual, you can use the green button to instantly set meter-centered exposure without having to twirl the thumb and finger dials to get there. Then, if you prefer a different aperture or shutter speed, first hit the AE-L button to preserve exposure value, and as you select either, the other will follow along! This is the Pentax "Hyper Manual" feature. These are very fast, efficient control systems. The KP has this button as well as others as dual-purpose, that is programable, so the AE-L had to be set to that function, as maybe it is by default. Your K-50 has the same "Hyper" features, no doubt.

Keeping the right-side top dial set on the dot, this disables the far right dial, so you will not accidentally engage anything there you don't want.

Congrats in getting the KP. I've found it to be exceptional! What other lenses might you have?

Last edited by mikesbike; 06-11-2020 at 09:05 PM.
06-11-2020, 10:42 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well I've had a play today but I am all over the place. I've been working in the P setting mostly but have failed to capture anything yet that I'm really happy with. It's clearly my fault, either I've turned something on that should be off, or the opposite

Tomorrow I am going to re-set everything, go into Auto mode and start again!
Can you give us some idea about what aspects of the pictures you've taken so far that you are unhappy with,is it exposure,focus or some other detail?
06-12-2020, 07:46 AM   #14

Original Poster
Hi Tim,

The issues were mainly JPEG related.

The focus was very shallow so pictures had very limited sharpness. I was having real trouble dialling this out. I have now realised that was me restricting the ISO too much. The last two days have been quite dull and so restricting between 100 - 800 was expecting too much with the lenses I was using.

Second issue has been with reds. Taking pictures of red flowers outdoors and loosing almost all detail. This appears to be due to the custom image settings. Using the FLAT mode appears to have fixed this too.

Re-setting and starting again has helped a lot. Only alteration I have made thus far is the remember menu setting

Bob
06-12-2020, 01:08 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Second issue has been with reds. Taking pictures of red flowers outdoors and loosing almost all detail. This appears to be due to the custom image settings. Using the FLAT mode appears to have fixed this too.

Re-setting and starting again has helped a lot. Only alteration I have made thus far is the remember menu setting
If you're going to use flat mode, you might as well shoot RAW. It gives the most latitude for correction since it starts with the most "honest" depiction. I'm not a huge fan of Digital Camera Utility, but one of the benefits is that it will show raw images applying the settings of your camera. Since it's not already JPEG, it's easy to undo or change. It basically mirrors the KP settings so you can experiment with what camera settings would give you the desired results.