Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-23-2020, 04:52 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-70 --> kp

After totally destroying my K-70 (and PLM) in a bad fall I have decided to upgrade to a KP since they're on sale right now just under $1K (Cdn) only 250 more than a new K-70. I have examined KP new user threads below and some of these address this specific upgrade. But I guess I'm asking what to look out for when the new body comes that is different enough to have to deal with right away.

I use a 55-300mm PLM, 16-85mm, 100mm WR, and 40mm Ltd. about 95% of the time. The camera will accompany me in the cockpit of my sailboat (as did my old K-50 and then K-70 bodies), and on hiking trails around Newfoundland mainly. Including winter hiking. Typical subjects are outdoor plant and animal life and landscapes.

06-23-2020, 05:29 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The KP is more solidly built, and slightly bigger. The LCD screen tilts up and down, but it doesn't flip like the K-70. It looks nicer (in my opinion).

The biggest difference is the third wheel.

You'll love it
06-23-2020, 05:49 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You might want the larger extra grip with that lens, battery life better also

06-23-2020, 06:07 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeMcE Quote
You might want the larger extra grip with that lens, battery life better also
The grips come in the box, right?

06-23-2020, 07:00 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
The grips come in the box, right?

In the US three grips are included. The grip I mentioned is a bottom mount, not front.

06-23-2020, 07:50 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeMcE Quote
In the US three grips are included. The grip I mentioned is a bottom mount, not front.
The grip you are referring to is the battery grip. D-BG-7.
06-23-2020, 08:13 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

KP has a quieter shutter.

K-70 is a helluva camera, though. I like mine a bunch.

06-23-2020, 10:38 AM   #8
Pentaxian

The KP has some extra features over the K-70 ... the 1/24000sec electronic shutter can be impressive under appropriate circumstances, similarly the extra few stops of sensitivity, the extra a/f points can help with a moving subject and there are a couple of aspects of the astrophotography features which are improved. If you don't need the extra features, however, the K-70 can look a much better bargain. If HDMI is an issue, the KP uses a third-party 'SlimPort' adaptor, whereas the K-70 has a dedicated HDMI port. In a like-for-like comparison I don't believe there's any image quality difference! My experience indicates that the KP has slightly higher power requirements than the K-70, so a spare battery may be a consideration, also, from a "Power Save" condition, the KP takes fractionally but noticeably longer to "wake up" than the K-70.

Last edited by kypfer; 06-23-2020 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Afterthought
06-23-2020, 03:46 PM - 1 Like   #9
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
ut I guess I'm asking what to look out for when the new body comes that is different enough to have to deal with right away.
1. The ergonomics will take some getting used to. (I still don't like them, compared to the K-3, K-30 or K-S2.) Try the different hand grips. I prefer the large (didn't come with my model; it was kindly supplied by a member here), but find even that too small. The shutter button is less comfortably placed than on the K-3.
2. Work out what you prefer to do with the third wheel. It is very customisable. I assigned ISO to the C1 setting and expected to use it constantly. But in practice I use TAv so often that setting the ISO is not the most frequent change I make (aside from aperture and shutter speed). I actually find the changes I make most are AE metering (AE on the mode dial) and AF active area (set to C2 on the dial). CH/CL allows you to toggle through the settings in the drive mode (for example, if the drive mode is set to continuous shooting, turning the third wheel toggles between H, M and L).
3. You can assign all sorts of functions to the other buttons. Frankly I can never remember which function I have assigned to which button!
4. I tried back button AF on the camera but I have switched back to shutter button AF. That is partly because I don't like the placement of the "AF AE-L" button but mainly because I mostly use focus point select and need my right thumb available to move the focus point.
5. You have to remember that Live View is selected with the On/off switch.
6. The tilting screen is quicker to deploy than the flip screen (which I have on the K-S2), but it is frustrating when the camera is in vertical orientation.
7. Shake Reduction is good for an extra stop or so over my other cameras.
8. Not sure what to think about electronic shutter. I only use it for Pixel Shift. YMMV. The mechanical shutter is much quieter than on the entry models (K-30, K-S2 etc) but maybe not as quiet as on the K-3 (?).
9. Burst mode is mostly adequate but lags behind the K-3.

For all its quirks and limitations, I use the KP constantly now. The IQ is excellent. It is worth an extra stop or two over the K-3.
06-25-2020, 08:13 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Better set of controls, as you will probably soon discover. Very user-friendly once you are orientated. Metering is more advanced. AF is excellent, even with screw-driven lenses. Superior build and availability of an optional battery grip.