Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-27-2020, 06:12 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Focus confirmation in manual focus mode

Hello,
Can you set the KP to give focus confirmation by the focus point lighting up when focus is achieved, using an AF lens like the the 20-40 Ltd in manual focus mode?
If so, please tell me how to set that up.
Thanks,
John

06-27-2020, 06:39 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by johnny9fingers Quote
Hello,
Can you set the KP to give focus confirmation by the focus point lighting up when focus is achieved, using an AF lens like the the 20-40 Ltd in manual focus mode?
Thanks,
John

Yes turn off A/f on lens, leave AF alone on body. I set to release when focused, and turning lens manually allows confirmation and release

06-27-2020, 07:37 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Are you set up with back button focus? If you are, then all you have to do is switch off A/F on the camera body then rotate the focus ring to achieve focus while holding down the A/F button and listen for the beep and look for focus point and the green light in the viewfinder. No need to do anything else. Just make sure you are using BBF by setting it up properly.
06-27-2020, 08:26 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't use a back-focus button, preferring the half-press of the shutter button. But my KP with that same DA 20-40mm LTD works ok for getting the focus point light in the VF to come on together with a beep when using MF. I did not need to make any change in settings. I usually have my camera set for AF center-point only spot focus, but I tried it also with the camera set with all AF points active, and it works well either way using MF.

It is a little tricky, though. This lens has a very good MF feel and well-designed for such use. But it is a very precision instrument as to exact focus being achieved. I have not checked to see if the focusing range is short-throw, which would make it even more touchy. It is also always necessary to make sure the half press of the shutter button has just been done to activate the camera's lighted info at the bottom of the VF screen, or you will get no feedback if those lights are off. They go back off rather quickly if not sensing activity or showing focus achieved.

06-27-2020, 09:43 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello,
Thanks,
John
Not wanting to directly contradict some of the advice above, but focus confirmation works in MF mode just fine, with no hoops to jump through unless one is set up for back-button focus. What doesn't work is trying to use other than the center point for focus confirm. Edit: Well! That goes to show what never using other than center point does to one's brain. The correction is that the active focus point will be indicated if your rack focus, even when using focus confirm. To use focus confirm, set the camera to MF and half-press the shutter.

For further clarification, the lighting the focus point only indicates that it is active. The green hexagon indicates best focus.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-27-2020 at 09:53 PM.
06-28-2020, 07:51 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Not wanting to directly contradict some of the advice above, but focus confirmation works in MF mode just fine, with no hoops to jump through unless one is set up for back-button focus. What doesn't work is trying to use other than the center point for focus confirm. Edit: Well! That goes to show what never using other than center point does to one's brain. The correction is that the active focus point will be indicated if your rack focus, even when using focus confirm. To use focus confirm, set the camera to MF and half-press the shutter.

For further clarification, the lighting the focus point only indicates that it is active. The green hexagon indicates best focus.

Steve
Thanks everyone. My KP is set to back button focus, and I didn't know you had to hold the AE/F button down for it to work. I'm guessing this function is commonly known, but it would have been nice if Pentax/Ricoh would have included a small blurb in the manual for manual focus options & operations. I've had the KP for over a year and am still learning all it is capable of dong. A truly great little camera.
Thanks again for your help, this is what make the Pentax Forums such a great place, the great people here.....
John
06-28-2020, 10:21 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks everyone. My KP is set to back button focus, and I didn't know you had to hold the AE/F button down for it to work. I'm guessing this function is commonly known, but it would have been nice if Pentax/Ricoh would have included a small blurb in the manual for manual focus options & operations. I've had the KP for over a year and am still learning all it is capable of dong. A truly great little camera.
Thanks again for your help, this is what make the Pentax Forums such a great place, the great people here.....
John
Some things like this are hard to find documentation on but posting here will probably get you what you need to know. Using back button focus sure makes actions like this easier.

06-28-2020, 01:31 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

it would have been nice if Pentax/Ricoh would have included a small blurb in the manual for manual focus options & operations.
The subject was covered in the manual for K10D and that is where I learned of the feature. I don't know when it ceased to be part of the documentation.

Steve
06-28-2020, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Using back button focus sure makes actions like this easier.
That's the part I don't get. Focus confirm works* as long as the camera is not snoozing/asleep, is on by default, and requires no special configuration. I am not configured for backbutton focus and have been using focus confirm for about thirteen years.

Steve

* ...even when not holding the shutter at half press.
06-28-2020, 03:08 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That's the part I don't get. Focus confirm works* as long as the camera is not snoozing/asleep, is on by default, and requires no special configuration. I am not configured for backbutton focus and have been using focus confirm for about thirteen years.

Steve

* ...even when not holding the shutter at half press.
When the backbutton focus is disabled I don't get the focus confirmation light. So I'll have to play around and figure that out. But it does work with backbutton focus enabled, so I'm happy about that.
I need to get out and shoot around with this camera more often than I have been....

John