Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 46 Likes Search this Thread
08-04-2020, 01:00 PM - 10 Likes   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've used Pixel Shift with the KP (and the K-1) as much as I can -- which admittedly is not all that often. But I have found PS more useful for telephoto landscape photograph with the excellent DA 55-300 PLM. At longer distances, those little leaves and branches that can move and spoil the shot are too small to be resolved in any case. However, once in a while, usually in the autumn, you can a morning so still that PS can work at wider angles, as with shot taken with the DA 16-85:

08-05-2020, 05:57 AM   #17

Original Poster
Hey Greg, awesome shot and thanks for contributing to the young thread here.

QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
But I have found PS more useful for telephoto landscape photograph with the excellent DA 55-300 PLM.
Yes, so far that has been my experience as well. Your shots over in the 55-300 thread helped convince me to buy a used copy of that lens from another forum member, and I'm very happy I did!
08-05-2020, 06:32 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eric3929 Quote
Hey all,
I was looking through the K-1 forum and noticed a separate thread dedicated to pixel shift shots. I thought this was a fun idea - I guess we'll see if the KP group has an interest in it as well.
If you're feeling so inclined, let us know what your pixel shift workflow looks like.

Here's a quick shot to get us started. A dusty sunset over the Blue Ridge Mountains. I generally import my shots into DCU to do the motion correction work and often reduce the DCU default sharpening before exporting TIFF for lightroom processing.
Lovely photograph. I must admit I have not the pixel shift function on my KP, mainly because I am lazy and don't like using a tripod 😉
08-05-2020, 06:12 PM - 4 Likes   #19
Pentaxian

Hey Greg, awesome shot and thanks for contributing to the young thread here.
Your welcome. Thanks for starting the thread.

Here's a PS shot with the DA 35 Ltd:

08-13-2020, 06:19 AM - 1 Like   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by northcoastgreg Quote
Here's a PS shot with the DA 35 Ltd:
Always thought that 35mm ltd turned out some great detail.

Was hesitant to use PS with some background fog, but since it worked in post #16 figured I'd give it a try.
08-13-2020, 04:18 PM - 6 Likes   #21
Pentaxian

DA 21 can work in PS as well:

11-03-2020, 07:29 AM - 4 Likes   #22

Original Poster
It's been a little while, but here's two more pixel shift images taken with the KP and the HD DA 15mm limited. Both are in the mountains along the border between NC and TN. Both are processed first in RawTherapee for motion correction before going to LR for some basic PP.

This first one is actually a PS panorama. My first time trying that.

08-14-2021, 07:55 AM   #23

Glad to find this forum. I’ve had a KP for a while but I have not tried pixel shift. What software do I need and what is the workflow? I have a Mac and Adobe Lightroom. Thanks!
08-14-2021, 01:37 PM   #24
Pentaxian

No special software required. The Kp will do it all in camera 😊
08-21-2021, 09:45 AM - 1 Like   #25

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pugamu Quote
Glad to find this forum. I’ve had a KP for a while but I have not tried pixel shift. What software do I need and what is the workflow? I have a Mac and Adobe Lightroom. Thanks!
Hey Pugamu, it's true that no special software is required. The KP can process in camera, but this means you lose the ability to edit the raw file in post processing. Sometimes this is ok, sometimes it is not. It will depend on what you like to do for your normal workflow.

Lightroom can import pixelshift files, but it does NOT handle motion correction in them. Any movement (wind, water, etc.) and you'll have some odd artifacts (the KP does some motion correction in camera but it is often not perfect). They often show up as green/purple static. The software that comes with the KP (I think it's DCU) can handle pixel shift images and motion correction. You can run it on Mac. I found this software quite slow. I've recently been using RawTherapee instead. This is also available (free) for Mac and Windows. It's a pretty powerful tool, but not very intuitive to use (my opinion, anyway). Whether you use DCU or RawTherapee to handle RAW motion correction, you then have the option to export the image as a 16 bit TIFF and import that into lightroom to finish processing as you see fit. Of course, be aware that processing a TIFF in lightroom isn't quite the same as a DNG. You'll lose the ability to select Lightroom color profiles and a few other things. So you may want to incorporate color temp adjustments into the RawTherapee or DCU part of the workflow.

I'm guessing some people here will have a different workflow and it would be interesting to hear it! Let us know what works for you.

Last edited by eric3929; 08-21-2021 at 09:47 AM. Reason: spelling
08-22-2021, 08:50 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey Pugamu, it's true that no special software is required. The KP can process in camera, but this means you lose the ability to edit the raw file in post processing. Sometimes this is ok, sometimes it is not. It will depend on what you like to do for your normal workflow.

Lightroom can import pixelshift files, but it does NOT handle motion correction in them. Any movement (wind, water, etc.) and you'll have some odd artifacts (the KP does some motion correction in camera but it is often not perfect). They often show up as green/purple static. The software that comes with the KP (I think it's DCU) can handle pixel shift images and motion correction. You can run it on Mac. I found this software quite slow. I've recently been using RawTherapee instead. This is also available (free) for Mac and Windows. It's a pretty powerful tool, but not very intuitive to use (my opinion, anyway). Whether you use DCU or RawTherapee to handle RAW motion correction, you then have the option to export the image as a 16 bit TIFF and import that into lightroom to finish processing as you see fit. Of course, be aware that processing a TIFF in lightroom isn't quite the same as a DNG. You'll lose the ability to select Lightroom color profiles and a few other things. So you may want to incorporate color temp adjustments into the RawTherapee or DCU part of the workflow.

I'm guessing some people here will have a different workflow and it would be interesting to hear it! Let us know what works for you.
excuse my ignorance but how does one access the raw files the camera uses to make a pixel shift image?
08-22-2021, 09:11 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rlmartindale Quote
excuse my ignorance but how does one access the raw files the camera uses to make a pixel shift image?
Use dcrawps.

You can extract any one or all four to 16 bit tiff.

dcrawps -v -s all -w -T xxxx.DNG

to extract all four images of file xxxx.DNG into the current working directory.
-v gives verbose output, -w uses camera white balance.

To see all the options simply enter 'dcrawps' at the command line.
I think you can probably use dcraw to do all of the above, the pixelshift (ps) version may not be needed to extract to files.

Cheers,
Terry

Last edited by tduell; 08-22-2021 at 09:19 PM. Reason: correction, additional info
08-23-2021, 06:18 PM   #28

Thank you so much for the help. I hope to try it soon and will post the results here.

10-02-2021, 04:05 PM - 2 Likes   #29

Original Poster
Smoke is in the air

Here's an early morning shot of the Tetons with quite a bit of smoke in the air. One of the slower shutter speeds I've tried for a pixel shift image. I used Raw Therapee for the initial pixel shift corrections and then finished post processing in Lightroom.

02-10-2022, 01:46 PM   #30
dewolf

ok I am confused, as usual.
I turned on pixel shift res, and snapped a shot. It gives me 3 DNG files as a result. Manual says it combines them into one shot, but, I don't see a 4th image ?
So what simple thing am I missing ?
I need a walk through if someone has time and the inclination. I do not have raw therapy or light room. Just PS 6 and bridge.

Thanks.

Never mind. the more I read up on it, the more it is over my head lol, sorry folks.
I DO enjoy those sunset pics though, fabulous images.

Last edited by dewolf; 02-10-2022 at 02:08 PM.