Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 46 Likes Search this Thread
06-29-2020, 06:43 AM - 10 Likes   #1

KP Pixel Shift Images

Hey all,
I was looking through the K-1 forum and noticed a separate thread dedicated to pixel shift shots. I thought this was a fun idea - I guess we'll see if the KP group has an interest in it as well.
If you're feeling so inclined, let us know what your pixel shift workflow looks like.

Here's a quick shot to get us started. A dusty sunset over the Blue Ridge Mountains. I generally import my shots into DCU to do the motion correction work and often reduce the DCU default sharpening before exporting TIFF for lightroom processing.

06-29-2020, 03:59 PM   #2
Forum Member

nice shot. I use pixel shift rarely - it is very time consuming.
Needs tripod and time for set up. But if it works I like the results.
06-29-2020, 05:16 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Haven't used it yet. It would seem best applied when dealing with subjects having a high degree of fine detail, dynamic range, and also perhaps the need for lowest noise. Your example here seems to reflect success in the last two categories.
06-29-2020, 10:55 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Same as Mike and Vadik,I've not used it yet,but I love your photo Eric.

06-30-2020, 12:30 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
Same as Mike and Vadik,I've not used it yet.

Yet another owner here who's yet to fully explore the capabilities of his camera

As with my K-70 (and my K-5 before that), the features and functions of the camera far exceed my imagination.
Knowing the camera can do it is one thing. Remembering that fact, and how to implement it when presented with a picture opportunity, ... still learning

I'll look forward to any further elucidation on the subject
06-30-2020, 01:18 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Yet another owner here who's yet to fully explore the capabilities of his camera

No,but I’ve used it it to take loads of non pixelshift photos and shared results (which is more than many of the equipment collectors here)
06-30-2020, 09:08 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
No,but I’ve used it it to take loads of non pixelshift photos and shared results (which is more than many of the equipment collectors here)

I was referring to myself
Sorry for the ambiguity!

06-30-2020, 10:21 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
I was referring to myself
Sorry for the ambiguity!
No worries 😉
06-30-2020, 10:59 AM - 3 Likes   #9

Original Poster
Hey, I'm happy to see some interest. And yes, I take traditional exposures much more than PS shots too. But when I have a tripod with me, figured I might as well start experimenting with it.

Here's a different sunset. Picture isn't anything great, but it shows some differences between different pixel shift work flows. These two images are the same click of the shutter. The top image was imported into DCU, motion correction, color temp to 5000 Kelvin and then to Lightroom. The bottom image was imported into Raw Therapee, Pixel Shift with 1st exposure as base layer, color temp to 5000 Kelvin and then to Lightroom. The LR treatment of the two is identical.

Right away it's clear to me that Raw Therapee did a better job handling the movement in the water. This is especially true in the reflection of the trees near the lower right. It's also clear to me that the color temps appear different, despite setting both to 5,000. In DCU, I have color space set to adobe RGB. In Raw Therapee it seems that on Mac it is limited to sRGB. Does anyone know if I'm wrong about this? This is my first time using RT for anything.
06-30-2020, 06:08 PM   #10
Forum Member

Interesting - the first image seems to have a lot of fringing in the water that the second doesn't. Funnily, I like the foliage colors slightly better in the first but the sky colors much better in the second.
07-13-2020, 12:27 PM - 4 Likes   #11

Original Poster
Well, to keep this thread going a little longer, here's a sunset shot from Ocracoke Island in the Outer Banks. Taken with the plastic 35mm and processed in RT --> Lightroom. This isn't my best composed shot from that night, but I do think it really shows how well pixel shift handles color gradients and how well RawTherapee handles motion. There was plenty of movement in those tall grasses between the 4 PS exposures.

08-02-2020, 10:27 AM   #12

Original Poster
You guys getting sick of my sunset pictures yet? Haha, recently it seems like the only time I've got the KP on a tripod is during sunset. Here's one more - shortly after taking this picture went back to the car and we had a bear run out onto the road just 10 feet in front of us! I think it was more surprised by us than we were by it.

Anyway, this shot was also run through RawTherapee to do the pixel shift alignment and motion correction, then over to Lightroom for final touches.
08-03-2020, 05:46 AM   #13

Photos: Albums
I was playing around with Pixel Shift and Focus Stacking to get this image of The Liberator.
It was a while ago now, but I think it was 5 pixel shift images processed into JPEGs, then I used Affinity Photo on my iPad to do the focus stacking.
Did it all at my kitchen bench without a tripod, just the KP, toy and bad kitchen lights.
08-03-2020, 04:40 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeKay Quote
I was playing around with Pixel Shift and Focus Stacking to get this image of The Liberator.
It was a while ago now, but I think it was 5 pixel shift images processed into JPEGs, then I used Affinity Photo on my iPad to do the focus stacking.
Did it all at my kitchen bench without a tripod, just the KP, toy and bad kitchen lights.
So it can be used for things other than sunset!
Thanks for sharing DeKay.

QuoteOriginally posted by DeKay Quote
Your the first one i've seen that did PS without a tripod. Cool picture.
08-04-2020, 04:03 AM   #15

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eric3929 Quote
So it can be used for things other than sunset!
When I first started playing with PS I took a photo of a wooden spoon, the detail in the wood grain was nothing short of fantastic.

QuoteOriginally posted by eric3929 Quote
Your the first one i've seen that did PS without a tripod. Cool picture.
Whilst I didn’t use a tripod, it was propped up on a book and I was very carful not to move the camera while I adjusted focus.