Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2020, 02:27 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
AF position on LCD Display

I have been playing around with customising the U1 to U5 settings etc recently as I become more familiar with the huge feature set of the KP. I have also been playing a little with Live View, and working mainly in TAV mode.

Recently I have done something in the U2 settings that controls the display on the LCD, so that the Four-way controller is being used to reposition the focus point, instead of activating ISO, Flash, WB etc. I have scrolled through all the menus to try and determine which setting has done this, have looked though the manual, through the KP eBook, and even conducted searches in the forum with LCD, LCD Display as search key words.

I am sure the answer is staring me in the face somewhere, but cannot for the life of me find it.

My aim is to eventually have:

U1 as my go to for fast moving, birds/flying things in flight subjects - (1/1000 shutter speed, moderate DOF (about 7.1 to 9, when using my 55-300mm PLM lens), continuous shooting, AF-C etc. ISO on auto, SR on)

U2 for general wildlife shooting hand-held - (1/400 shutter speed, F8, ISO floating, single-shot, AF-S etc, SR on.)

U3 Tripod macro - (1/100, F10, ISO auto, Shake Reduction OFF) (Usually with the 100mm F2.8 macro lens, but occasionally the 55-300mm PLM lens)

But, as I said, something in U2 settings is setting the four-way controller to moving the AF point around, instead allowing the arrows to move around the general LCD display area, or allowing ISO WB, etc to be activated.

So......HELP

As an aside, if anyone has any suggestions for customising other settings for each of these intended U1, U2, U3 functions, I would be pleased to receive them.

Last edited by K2 to K50; 07-10-2020 at 02:33 AM.
07-10-2020, 02:48 AM   #2
maw
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
I have been playing around with customising the U1 to U5 settings etc recently as I become more familiar with the huge feature set of the KP. I have also been playing a little with Live View, and working mainly in TAV mode....
There are other tabs, you can have a look and redial the user modes (did you know you can also rename them?).

The PENTAX Hyper Control system
07-10-2020, 02:56 AM   #3
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi Peter, I think you might find what you are looking for on pages 60 & 61 in your manual. Hope so. Good luck mate.
07-10-2020, 06:18 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
I have been playing around with customising the U1 to U5 settings etc recently as I become more familiar with the huge feature set of the KP. I have also been playing a little with Live View, and working mainly in TAV mode.

Recently I have done something in the U2 settings that controls the display on the LCD, so that the Four-way controller is being used to reposition the focus point, instead of activating ISO, Flash, WB etc. I have scrolled through all the menus to try and determine which setting has done this, have looked though the manual, through the KP eBook, and even conducted searches in the forum with LCD, LCD Display as search key words.

I am sure the answer is staring me in the face somewhere, but cannot for the life of me find it.

My aim is to eventually have:

U1 as my go to for fast moving, birds/flying things in flight subjects - (1/1000 shutter speed, moderate DOF (about 7.1 to 9, when using my 55-300mm PLM lens), continuous shooting, AF-C etc. ISO on auto, SR on)

U2 for general wildlife shooting hand-held - (1/400 shutter speed, F8, ISO floating, single-shot, AF-S etc, SR on.)

U3 Tripod macro - (1/100, F10, ISO auto, Shake Reduction OFF) (Usually with the 100mm F2.8 macro lens, but occasionally the 55-300mm PLM lens)

But, as I said, something in U2 settings is setting the four-way controller to moving the AF point around, instead allowing the arrows to move around the general LCD display area, or allowing ISO WB, etc to be activated.

So......HELP

As an aside, if anyone has any suggestions for customising other settings for each of these intended U1, U2, U3 functions, I would be pleased to receive them.
Write down all of the settings you want to use in U2 then set the mode dial to TV mode then set up each function you want to use then re-save what you have set up as U2. No use hunting for what you are looking for to turn off. Its much quicker to do it this way.

07-10-2020, 06:19 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi Peter, I think you might find what you are looking for on pages 60 & 61 in your manual. Hope so. Good luck mate.
Thanks pjv: you got it in one!!! The old "Press and hold the OK" trick 99!!
07-10-2020, 06:24 AM   #6
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Glad to help mate.
07-10-2020, 06:24 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maw Quote
There are other tabs, you can have a look and redial the user modes (did you know you can also rename them?).

The PENTAX Hyper Control system
Yep,thanks maw - already into that. Hope there will be no more need to remember to set Shake Reduction back on when switching from tripod to hand-held, for starters!!!

EDIT: Gleep - now, when I take the camera of the tripod, I have to remember to switch from U3 to U2 or U1!!! And just yesterday, took two pics before remembering to do that!!!!

Last edited by K2 to K50; 07-15-2020 at 07:41 PM.