Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2020, 11:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Video Continuous Autofocus

Hello,

So based on KP review I bought lenses for video continuous Autofocus HD DFA 28-105... just to find out that I threw away money...

Now, I checked on Pentax Website... who knows what does it mean: "Continuous AF (AF.C) is available with the dedicated lens." - what are those magic dedicated lens...

07-16-2020, 01:55 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
From the Pentax Forums review of the KP.

Pentax KP Review - Movie Mode | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Continuous Autofocus During Video Recording

Thanks to its hybrid CDAF system, the KP offers continuous autofocus during video capture. This feature is only available in conjunction with compatible lenses, including all DA-series DC lenses and PLM lenses (i.e. the new DA 55-300mm f/4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE). With other lenses, you can only access on-demand autofocus, which is slow but more decisive.

AF.C is now available in the video AF menu
To engage the AF.C mode in video recording, you need to either bring up the control panel by pressing the INFO button, or go into the video menu and the AF with Live View sub-menu. Continuous autofocus works with the automatic multi-point, SEL, and spot-focusing modes.
We previously tested this combo in the field with the K-70 and found that while it does indeed focus continuously, it’s not very good at it. Our subject (a fast-moving dog) was out of focus more often than it was in focus, and the system hunted constantly. Autofocus tracking was a miserable experience, and the system would even hunt when trained on a static subject. We found the KP to behave just like the KP following a repetition of a similar test.
07-16-2020, 09:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote
From the Pentax Forums review of the KP.

Pentax KP Review - Movie Mode | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Continuous Autofocus During Video Recording

Thanks to its hybrid CDAF system, the KP offers continuous autofocus during video capture. This feature is only available in conjunction with compatible lenses, including all DA-series DC lenses and PLM lenses (i.e. the new DA 55-300mm f/4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE). With other lenses, you can only access on-demand autofocus, which is slow but more decisive.

AF.C is now available in the video AF menu
To engage the AF.C mode in video recording, you need to either bring up the control panel by pressing the INFO button, or go into the video menu and the AF with Live View sub-menu. Continuous autofocus works with the automatic multi-point, SEL, and spot-focusing modes.
We previously tested this combo in the field with the K-70 and found that while it does indeed focus continuously, it’s not very good at it. Our subject (a fast-moving dog) was out of focus more often than it was in focus, and the system hunted constantly. Autofocus tracking was a miserable experience, and the system would even hunt when trained on a static subject. We found the KP to behave just like the KP following a repetition of a similar test.

Hello

Отправлено с моего iPhone используя Tapatalk
07-17-2020, 10:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have received official response. Issued several queries on all languages I know for different Ricohs Russians responded first.
As of 2020.07.17, only KAF4 support video continuous focus:
HD PENTAX-D FA★50mmF1.4 SDM AW
HD PENTAX-DA 55-300mmF4.5-6.3ED PLM WR RE
HD PENTAX-D FA 70-210mmF4ED SDM WR
HD PENTAX-D FA★85mmF1.4ED SDM AW

07-20-2020, 09:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
oh.... got response from Ricoh USA. Highly disappointed by Erics response...

"According to the official information you need to check for the DA DC lenses. This narrows your choice a bit.
So the SMC Pentax-DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] DC WR should be compatible for your purposes but not the 28-105 lens.

I am sorry but we do not maintain a official list of lenses for this purpose."

Who is right or wrong?
12-08-2020, 03:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It seems that i will buy one of these...

04-26-2021, 07:37 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Belcik, reviving this thread to see if you got a conclusive answer to this question for the KP.

I suspect the answer will be the same for K3iii

Thanks

05-13-2021, 08:45 PM   #8

Someone said over in the K-3iii forum that the FA* 50mm F1.4 SDM doesn't af.c with firmware 1.00 on the K-3iii.
05-20-2021, 01:12 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
Belcik, reviving this thread to see if you got a conclusive answer to this question for the KP.

I suspect the answer will be the same for K3iii

Thanks

I guess will be the same. It is kore with lens than with body imho

05-22-2021, 10:12 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just as a point of reference, the HD Pentax DA 20-40 ED Limited DC WR does not work with firmware up to 1.3.

This is despite being clearly a DA DC lens (that is wonderful in basically every other way...)

-Eric
05-22-2021, 11:32 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TwoUptons Quote
Just as a point of reference, the HD Pentax DA 20-40 ED Limited DC WR does not work with firmware up to 1.3.
It worked for AF-C during video on the K-70, but it seems Pentax stopped supporting that with the KP and K-3iii.
Maybe it just didn't work well enough, but then again poor AF-C is better than none. Strange decision.