Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
07-25-2020, 11:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So I bought a KP.

I have been amassing quite a nice collection of Pentax cameras and lenses over the last 3 or 4 years.
I am fairly sure that I have contracted one or all of the following:
1) LBA - Lens Buying Addiction
2) CBA - Camera Buying Addiction
3) LL - Lens Lust
4) GAS - Gear Aquisition Syndrome

I have done some research and it seems that one can only cure ones self of these afflictions.

I started with a K-X approx 4 years ago with just the kit lens 18-55.
I soon started to buy 2nd hand Pentax lenses.
A few like the M 50mm macro lens made me want a better camera.
My next upgrade was my much loved K-70, to which, I added even more lenses.

My Pentax addiction had begun.
I now have the following Pentax cameras in my growing collection:
Pentax Electro Spotomatic, ES, K1000, Z-20, Z-70, Z-70P, MZ-50, MZ-60, SF7, ME F, istD, K-x, K-r, K-S1, K-70, KP.
The lenses I love and use most (no particular order)
Sigma 35mm Art, D-FA 28-105, 18-55WR, Sigma 10-20 4.5, DA 10-17, 55-300PLM, SMC 21mm Limited , 40mm XS, DA50 1.8, Tamron 90mm macro, SMC Pentax 500mm F4.5.

I have approx 100 lenses thus far.
I think I am trying to get pretty much one of everything Pentax made in SLR lenses and cameras.
Obviously there will be some very hard to find bits.

I am unsure if the KP (about to arrive in the mail in a couple of days) will help cure my afflictions.
I sorta hope it will tbh.

I have set up a home photo studio room with multiple drop screens, various and many wireless flash units and all sorts to do everything from a portraits to macro and still life or product photography. I honestly can't think of anything else I would use otherwise and therefore have finished my spending for the studio.

Does anyone think I am nuts?

Last edited by VILLAINofOZ; 07-25-2020 at 11:19 PM. Reason: grammar corrections.
07-26-2020, 12:34 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by VILLAINofOZ Quote
I have been amassing quite a nice collection of Pentax cameras and lenses over the last 3 or 4 years.
I am fairly sure that I have contracted one or all of the following:
1) LBA - Lens Buying Addiction
2) CBA - Camera Buying Addiction
3) LL - Lens Lust
4) GAS - Gear Aquisition Syndrome

I have done some research and it seems that one can only cure ones self of these afflictions.

All sounds perfectly normal

I had a collection of over 600 Kodak cameras for several years ... gave most of them away when I moved house!

Currently I have over 100 lenses, mostly for use on my five Pentax DSLR's, but I did acquire a Samsung NX5 mirrorless so I can get use from my old Russian rangefinder lenses and a few others.

Every so often an unexplored aspect of the hobby sparks an interest and another surge of acquisition starts, but they're getting fewer and farther between theses days.

Enjoy
07-26-2020, 12:48 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nope, perfectly normal. I had about 50 lenses but had to sell some to pay for other stuff so I am down to about 30. You need a K5ii/K3 then you get the pro body feel, although you do have that with the KP. Time you started doing single in challenges so we can see what you get from your collection
07-26-2020, 02:41 AM   #4
Unregistered User

Nah, I think you're a "collector". What you've got is a "collection". Now you need to organize and categorize everything and make a display setting to house it all in so you can show it off to your houseguests.

07-26-2020, 04:06 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think you are normal but have an incurable condition, which is quite normal for Pentax users, well Not just Pentax users, a lot of photography enthusiasts get, it just seems to be stronger with some brands.

I find when I have a lot of opportunities to shoot I am quite satisfied with the gear I have and GAS goes into remission, but then get a little time when you can’t get out to shoot, I can feel the relapse. This week has been one of those and I found myself buying a lens I already have this morning, but it was a good price, and it was right there for the taking.

You are going to love the KP!
07-26-2020, 04:58 AM - 3 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I think you are normal but have an incurable condition, which is quite normal for Pentax users, well Not just Pentax users, a lot of photography enthusiasts get, it just seems to be stronger with some brands.

I find when I have a lot of opportunities to shoot I am quite satisfied with the gear I have and GAS goes into remission, but then get a little time when you can’t get out to shoot, I can feel the relapse. This week has been one of those and I found myself buying a lens I already have this morning, but it was a good price, and it was right there for the taking.

You are going to love the KP!
I used to live in a very wealthy neighbourhood as a teen. Over visiting a friend one day , his father came home and asked us to guess what he'd bought, We threw around some options, none of which turned out to be correct. Finally he said " I bought a plane." One of his boys said "Why, you already have a plane?" He said "I got it at a good price." When ever some one says that now it makes me cognizant of how relative "a good price" is.

Last edited by normhead; 07-26-2020 at 05:45 PM.
07-26-2020, 05:42 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
No problems noted..... The real pain is when you HAVE to buy multiple systems..... just because!

07-26-2020, 05:59 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

VofO, you are sick. The only cure is to complete the whole collection.
On the other hand, some sufferers then start to buy multiple copies of the same stuff.

btw, Do you actually use any of the stuff?
07-26-2020, 07:30 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Problems noted: You only have listed one limited, and you know they come in two colors?
07-26-2020, 07:45 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm surprised that as a crop shooter you have the DFA 38-105. What's the appeal to you of that over something like the da 16-85 or 18-135?
07-26-2020, 01:09 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kevin B123 Quote
Problems noted: You only have listed one limited, and you know they come in two colors?
Yes! I want one of each.

All in good time lol.
I may end up finishing my collection, or I may not... time will tell.

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
btw, Do you actually use any of the stuff?
Absolutely. I shoot both film and digital.
I shot around 35k photos last year.
I test every lens and camera I buy
Most lenses get placed in the display cabinet for the remainder of their lives now.

Every now and again I take out something to use for a day with a film slr. I love the k1000 and the ME for film thus far. I don't change the lenses on the film cameras as often.

I tend to use the newer lenses on the newer cameras.
On some days I have used 5 or 6 lenses on the one camera in an outing.

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I'm surprised that as a crop shooter you have the DFA 28-105. What's the appeal to you of that over something like the da 16-85 or 18-135?
I bought the 28-105 because of its reputation.
I was not disappointed. This lens produces a fantastic picture very easily.
Knowing it is a FF lens, I feel it produces a better picture than the 18-135 from photographers that have been shared their pics on this site. I weighed up a few options and decided the 28-105 was for me.

The 28-105 is probably my most used walk around lens.

Another reason I purchased this lens is knowing my addiction, I would eventually get a K1 and will want FF lanes as well.
07-26-2020, 01:17 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought the 28-105 because of its reputation.
I was not disappointed. This lens produces a fantastic picture very easily.
Knowing it is a FF lens, I feel it produces a better picture than the 18-135 from photographers that have been shared their pics on this site. I weighed up a few options and decided the 28-105 was for me.

The 28-105 is probably my most used walk around lens.

Another reason I purchased this lens is knowing my addiction, I would eventually get a K1 and will want FF lanes as well.
Quite wise!, the 28-105 is very good for a zoom and will be your walk around on the K-1 when you get there.
07-26-2020, 01:27 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I should probably mention that I have owned 3 Pentax K-x cameras.
I have convinced two of my friends to shoot with a DSLR and sold them a K- x each for $100.
I made a loss on the cameras and I gave them both a kit lens (18-55) and a 55-200 each.

My value comes from them borrowing lenses from me and from me enjoying teaching them photography.

I pretty much don't use my K-r any more so I am planning to get that converted to infra-red.
The K-r I own is a red copy so it is perfect in my mind.

I originally changed from a k-x as a 2nd camera until I purchased the k-r (because they both use the DLi109 battery) however I then purchased the K-S1.

I am now going to have to buy some extra D-L190 batteries.
Looks like I will be much more tempted to buy more cameras that use the new battery.
I have 7x DLi109 batteries but none of the other yet.

I guess my addiction is far from healing now.
07-26-2020, 01:42 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
I used to live in a very wealthy neighbourhood as a teen. Over visiting a friend one day , his father came home and asked us to guess what he'd bought, We threw around some options, none of which turned out to be correct. Finally he said " I bought a plane." One of his boys said "Why, you already have a plane?" He said "I got it at good price." When ever some one says that now it makes my cognizant of how relative "a good price" is.
I have a friend (actually he’s the partner of a good friend,I don’t have an awful lot of time for the guy).Anyway my road bike was off the road and he offered to lend me his.According to him he got it for a knock down price,too good to refuse.I happily borrowed it and it’s obvious the thing has just stood in his garage since he bought it two years ago.Some “ bargain”.

Last edited by timb64; 07-27-2020 at 04:57 AM.
07-27-2020, 01:59 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Since you've bought many old Pentax models, some in the same genre, it seems you are a collector. In terms of image quality, the KP could do much in the way of curing you. As to your DFA 28-105, all you need for it is a K-1 II. Then you can enjoy its wide angle capability.