Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2020, 09:37 AM   #16
Pentaxian

From the very beginning - I did not like the KP look, the rear display seemed to be quite small.

Coming from K-5II, I also had mixed feelings concerning the build quality - buttons are smaller, shutter button, battery lock looked cheap. But that was right after having long-time experience with an amazing high-end model. Nowadays I like the ergonomics, features, I got used to buttons and I have no problems with KP.

07-31-2020, 09:21 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have never fully bonded with the KP. It doesn't fit my hand the way the K-5 did, and never will. But it's such a good camera I own two of them and use them every day. My hope is -- and based on the teaser photos this is probably true -- that the K-new will go back to that incredibly sensual feel the K-5 has, but will offer the functionality and great image quality of the KP. Sadly, it looks like the K-new doesn't have an articulating screen, so it may be a complicated decision. I've gotten kind of addicted to using one.
08-01-2020, 08:24 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I too own 2 KP bodies. Although having got used to shooting with the now-considered very meaty K20D, then for me now still current K-5 IIs, I never had any problem subsequently adjusting to the KP. My hand size is medium or medium-large... doesn't matter. I knew ahead that the grip would feel different with the KP just by looking at its design. Reminds me more of my compact film bodies. That for me was an attraction- not as bulky. So I handle as I would one of my old film bodies. Currently on one KP I have the smallest grip with a Limited lens on it, while on the other I have the larger grip with the DA* 50-135mm lens on it. Both feel just fine, as I handle accordingly.

---------- Post added 08-01-20 at 08:32 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Biff Quote
I plan to get the 150-450 at some point. Will likely get the KP battery grip then as well for a variety of reasons. Seems like that all would make a nice combo.
Yes, it would! I prefer using the battery grip with larger lenses like my Pentax FA* 300mm f/4.5 (though it is compact for what it is) for better balance when just holding on between shots. The battery grip provides a great deal more gripping area. It is even more comfortable to hold in the vertical position, even just for holding on between shooting. And the combined weight with the battery grip is only about the same as the K-3 II alone, but can provide even more battery life.

Last edited by mikesbike; 08-07-2020 at 01:18 PM.
08-05-2020, 04:37 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
I remember a lot of quite negative commentary about the KP looks and in particular feel when it first came out. I rarely see this any more.
I remember all the crying... I never had a problem with the fit and features, fantastic machine with the large grip and battery grip, handles 150-450 well with that combo.

08-15-2020, 09:29 AM - 2 Likes   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
I remember a lot of quite negative commentary about the KP looks and in particular feel when it first came out. I rarely see this any more.

I smashed my K-70 a bit ago and replaced it--a bit hesistantly remembering all the negativity--with a KP. From the instant I picked it up the feel said WOW. Compact. Weight beautifully centred in the hand. Great looks to my (old fashioned?) eyes. And an order of magnitude more settings instantly available (over the K-70). With the large grip the 16-85 and 55-300 PLM--my most used outdoor/sailing lenses--feel just right.

Did people just get over it? Or what?
I believe the "negativity" came from people who were comparing the KP to the K-7/5/3 family - which it is not.

Personally, I think the KP is great; it fits in my hands {note I always hold lens with left hand and body with right hand}.

Yes, the KP does not have a deep queue, has only one SD slot, and no top LCD,
but it is not a "flagship" camera, and it does fine for what it is.

Last edited by reh321; 08-15-2020 at 11:26 AM.
08-15-2020, 11:15 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

The Pentax KP is undoubtedly the best camera I have owned, and it is in use almost every day. It looks superb, especially with a Limited prime or the Limited 20-40 zoom attached. Its controls and customisable features are excellent. However, after two years use, the few negatives for me at the start are still there. They come from comparison with the similar-sized K-5 IIs ( Compare camera dimensions ). The main one is the grip - none of the three supplied with the KP feels as comfortable as the K-5 built-in grip. Second is the position of the AF button - too high on KP, perfect (and separate from AE-L) on K-5. Third is the battery - I have always wished that the KP used the D-Li90.

Philip
08-15-2020, 11:27 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
The Pentax KP is undoubtedly the best camera I have owned, and it is in use almost every day. It looks superb, especially with a Limited prime or the Limited 20-40 zoom attached. Its controls and customisable features are excellent. However, after two years use, the few negatives for me at the start are still there. They come from comparison with the similar-sized K-5 IIs ( Compare camera dimensions ). The main one is the grip - none of the three supplied with the KP feels as comfortable as the K-5 built-in grip. Second is the position of the AF button - too high on KP, perfect (and separate from AE-L) on K-5. Third is the battery - I have always wished that the KP used the D-Li90.

Philip

Other than for the choice of lens, this opinion reflects mine almost exactly!
If the camera body had included a K-5-style grip containing a DLi90 and with a sloping shutter button, rather than going for "ultimate compactness" with alternative grips, it would have been a superior tool, to my mind. Still, there's always a chance of a KP+ ... basically the same camera, but in a different body with a few minor tweaks ... I'd be very tempted

08-15-2020, 12:20 PM - 2 Likes   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Maybe if they come out with two different KP bodies - one with a larger grip and the larger battery and one that’s got the 3 grips and the smaller battery, for people like me who have small hands and will always go for lightweight and smaller. Then it would satisfy both sides of the grip controversy.
08-16-2020, 07:02 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The only negative for me going from K5 to KP was the loss of the depth-of-field preview lever under the shutter button. That location really worked for me.

I didn't intially see the articulating screen on the KP as a selling feature, but I can't imagine going back now.
08-16-2020, 07:26 AM - 4 Likes   #25
Pentaxian

You can listen to all the likes and dislikes here on the forum, but you still have to figure out what you like and dislike personally.

Some people like pocket cameras, some people like 4x5 or 5x7 film. What one person likes or dislikes is pretty much irrelevant.

People who have to explain what they dislike are for the most part trolling. What a single person likes or dislikes is pretty much irrelevant to me, and everyone else, unless you're looking for advice. You might want to pick a few photographers who's work you like and find out what they use. But to my way of thinking comments based on size are the most redundant. I use pocket cameras, I use my K-1, I have 3 cameras in between. I use them all.

Technically the K-P is an excellent camera, it has many skilled users, and it drew a lot of new customers to Pentax. For most of us, the early criticisms that seem to come out whenever a new camera is released are little more than internet fluff of little consequence. If a camera takes images I like, I'll find away to make it work for me, if it's the size of pea or a car.

K-P images are top notch. That's all I need to know. If my K-3 died right now I'd buy one.
Never complain about things you might get used to and eventually appreciate.
08-16-2020, 10:24 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
You can listen to all the likes and dislikes here on the forum, but you still have to figure out what you like and dislike personally.

Some people like pocket cameras, some people like 4x5 or 5x7 film. What one person likes or dislikes is pretty much irrelevant.

People who have to explain what they dislike are for the most part trolling. What a single person likes or dislikes is pretty much irrelevant to me, and everyone else, unless you're looking for advice. You might want to pick a few photographers who's work you like and find out what they use. But to my way of thinking comments based on size are the most redundant. I use pocket cameras, I use my K-1, I have 3 cameras in between. I use them all.

Technically the K-P is an excellent camera, it has many skilled users, and it drew a lot of new customers to Pentax. For most of us, the early criticisms that seem to come out whenever a new camera is released are little more than internet fluff of little consequence. If a camera takes images I like, I'll find away to make it work for me, if it's the size of pea or a car.

K-P images are top notch. That's all I need to know. If my K-3 died right now I'd buy one.
Never complain about things you might get used to and eventually appreciate.
Wise words as ever,Norm!

Transitioning from my K5ii to KP I thought I’d miss the top plate LCD (I don’t) and didn’t like the altered position of the back button focus (soon got used to it).

Precluding a new camera body just because it feels a bit different to what you’re used to is madness,we humans are a pretty adaptable species!

Last edited by timb64; 08-16-2020 at 04:06 PM.
08-16-2020, 04:50 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
I love the look of the KP - it's so reminiscent of the styling of Asahi Pentax SLRs, in the same way the DA 20-40 Limited is reminiscent of Takumar lenses. It shows the a care and respect for the AOC heritage by the Ricoh designers. I admire that very much. However much the styling may evoke a bygone era, the technology "under the hood" is almost magical.

Here's Wikipedia's photo of the Pentax 6x7 medium format camera. The simularity in styling is even more striking than the comparison with the ME Super above.
Yes! I love how the KP evokes the look of the P67! Two of photographic heroes--Robert Glenn Ketchum and James Kay--used the P67. I'm not above hoping that using a camera that looks like theirs will help me, in some small way, get better photos, and admitting that also played a role in my decision to buy the KP!
08-21-2020, 12:40 AM - 1 Like   #28

yesterday i received an almost new silver KP with 300 clicks with a new WR 18-55 for almost half the price from new. Could not resist..i needed a body anyway, because i sold most of my lenses and my K-1. But i kept my 77mm, 31mm, 15mm, 21mm, 40mm.
My first impression only from looks and handling (15min impression) : amazing build quality as used from pentax.. but it cant be really called compact DSLR i am a little spoiled also from the GR iii
Anyway, looking forward to check my first shots
08-21-2020, 02:21 AM   #29
Closed Account

I've just bought a Kp new, which in 40 years is only the third new camera I've ever bought and all of them were Pentax's. Yeah it handles quite differently to the K5 but I'm already adapting, slightly different grip etc... It looks great and I was completely sold when I checked the first image off it, in fact I'm still looking for the socks I was wearing at the time.
08-28-2020, 07:44 AM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi,
I've been using the wonderful KP for about 18 months have a dozen lenses latest is a 25 year old 35-105 SMC A Zoom with manual focus. Most used lens is a Sigma 17-50 f2.8 The KP adapts to all situations for a good amateur image maker. You really only need to have a KP to capture great images. Took the attached at a local water falls the other day. I use a battery grip just makes the camera feel better with the large grip. I haven't used my K5IIs since I picked up the KP.
Attached Images