Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 34 Likes Search this Thread
11-21-2020, 12:07 PM   #31
Forum Member

I found using the larger grip helps with my heavy DA 16-85. With smaller lenses its a very easy to use. And it certainly looks good to me!

11-27-2020, 03:33 PM - 1 Like   #32
Pentaxian

I love my KP and how it feels in the hand.
11-28-2020, 09:50 AM   #33
Forum Member

Always use the larger grip even though I have small hands. Certainly with heavier zooms it needs it.
12-10-2020, 01:39 AM   #34
Veteran Member

First, when I saw the KP I thought: "What the hell is this?"
But then I realized the beauty of this camera. I think the design showing it´s elegance and ruggedness is absolutely fantastic.

12-10-2020, 06:12 AM   #35
dlhawes

This borders on being a religious topic. The people who really don't like it REALLY don't like it. The people who do, REALLY do. No rational basis for either position as near as I can tell. De gustibus non disputandem est.
12-11-2020, 10:20 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Today I got my previous body (K-5II) into my hands. I cannot believe how big and heavy the K-5II feeling is in comparison with the KP.
12-13-2020, 09:40 AM   #37

The 3 grips feel good with small lenses, but with something larger, it's not perfect.
I mainly use the 18-135 (the only WR lens that I have), and I think the handle is a bit too small. I got used to it, it's not bad, just not perfect.
However all the buttons and dials are easy to access.
For me the handle of the K70 is a little bit too large, I'd like something in between

12-13-2020, 10:18 AM - 1 Like   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by dlhawes Quote
This borders on being a religious topic. The people who really don't like it REALLY don't like it. The people who do, REALLY do. No rational basis for either position as near as I can tell. De gustibus non disputandem est.
Borders?

Dulcē et decōrum est prō pentaxiā mōrī[
12-13-2020, 10:56 AM - 1 Like   #39
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dlhawes Quote
"Feel" has a lot to do with it, I think. To me the KP feel is wonderful. Like picking up *MY* knife (a wonderful Turwho) for a task as opposed to A knife. You just know instantly.

In my case, I must be just like their human factors focus groups. The second I picked it up it just plain fit. It literally said: "Hold me and use me". Again, like a good knife.

Just as in the case of top drawer knives, what fits one person perfectly may not fit everyone. Everyone's mileage really does vary.

Last edited by jgnfld; 12-13-2020 at 11:03 AM.
12-13-2020, 11:06 AM - 1 Like   #40
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
When I was in sales my go to was / is feel it !
If it is comfortable you can shoot without thoughts other than that viewfinder! I have long boney fingers and found the large grip and Battery grip give me that feel. Because of that and the wonderful SR I can handhold down to 1/10 and still keep a sharp image.

Hang up and DRIVE!
12-16-2020, 07:17 AM   #41

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeMcE Quote
When I was in sales my go to was / is feel it !
If it is comfortable you can shoot without thoughts other than that viewfinder! I have long boney fingers and found the large grip and Battery grip give me that feel. Because of that and the wonderful SR I can handhold down to 1/10 and still keep a sharp image.

Hang up and DRIVE!
Come to think of it, long boney fingers are handier than a tripod when you have a KP
12-16-2020, 08:20 AM   #42
Pentaxian

KP look and feel

QuoteOriginally posted by EnglishBob Quote
Come to think of it, long boney fingers are handier than a tripod when you have a KP

so true!

I mainly use tripods for macro shots, I can’t hold my breath as long nowadays.....

Hang up and DRIVE!
12-16-2020, 10:26 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I love the camera, it's just... heavy for someone who's been using compact cameras for so long. I'm having to adjust, and hopefully will do so.
12-17-2020, 09:47 AM - 1 Like   #44
Pentaxian

I have had my KP for about 6 months now and I love it. The “retro” look is what first attracted me to it, especially the silver version. I really enjoy the aesthetics of 1970s and ‘80s film cameras, and that look, to me, embodies the best of 35mm cameras. The KP mimics this look on the outside, with very advanced features on the inside, things people could only dream about back in the “old days”!!
Handling is very nice in my opinion. The weight is just right, and I have found that the large grip provides enough security and stability without taking away from the overall look of the camera. I use the KP with large lenses (55-300 f4-5.8) and small lenses without any handling issues. Concerning the grips, I like the look of the small or medium grip, but for best comfort I use the large one, compromises!!
I find the controls very intuitive with such extensive customizability that I rarely need to access the menus. The external dials also add to the “retro” look, but instead of ISO and shutter speed, they are customizable controls.
Compared to most modern DSLRs the KP look is sleek and streamlined, not blocky and utilitarian. Of course the IQ is excellent, which is the real important factor, but again I initially was attracted to the overall aesthetics of the camera, and yes, I am kinda proud to show off my unique Pentax gear and it is fun to have it mistaken for an old film camera, which I take as a compliment!!
12-17-2020, 10:17 AM   #45
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GregL564 Quote
Yes! I love how the KP evokes the look of the P67! Two of photographic heroes--Robert Glenn Ketchum and James Kay--used the P67. I'm not above hoping that using a camera that looks like theirs will help me, in some small way, get better photos, and admitting that also played a role in my decision to buy the KP!
Yes! Using equipment like your heroes will certainly inspire you and imbue you with confidence, enabling you to unlock more creativity and bring more joy in practicing your craft!!