Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 34 Likes Search this Thread
12-17-2020, 11:48 AM - 1 Like   #46

QuoteOriginally posted by cport Quote
Today I got my previous body (K-5II) into my hands. I cannot believe how big and heavy the K-5II feeling is in comparison with the KP.
I have both a K-5 and a KP I don't notice that much difference in size and weight. They BOTH feel small and light compared to my Nikon D700

12-17-2020, 04:29 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by EnglishBob Quote
Borders?

Dulcē et decōrum est prō pentaxiā mōrī[
Hey! You stole my thunder!! I was thinking exactly that after I read the Latin in dlhawes' post!!
12-17-2020, 06:55 PM   #48
Pentaxian

The three DSLRs I've had have been a Canon 20D, the K-S2, and the KP. All have been good, useful tools. The build quality of of the KP and 20D are noticebly better than the K-S2, which isn't bad, but somehow not as tight and solid feeling, though it's miles ahead of the feel of the Canon "Rebel" series. The K-S2 felt a little clunkier once I got used to the KP.
12-20-2020, 07:19 PM - 1 Like   #49

I am really trying to decide on getting a KP soon or waiting for the K3iii. This discussion is very helpful. It seem that the KP would fit most of my needs. I would be a good upgrade in image quality and CAF to my K3. Just wish the built in flash had a little more ooomph.

12-21-2020, 05:53 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by simsburyphoto Quote
I am really trying to decide on getting a KP soon or waiting for the K3iii.
Don't wait. The KP is such good value for money. The K-3III has no flash anyway.
12-21-2020, 10:55 PM   #51

Exactly what I was thinking
12-27-2020, 07:38 AM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Reading this thread makes me wonder why no 3rd party grips have appeared for this camera yet?

05-30-2022, 11:44 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It even looks like the 1964 Spotmatic or older S/H type cameras!
Attached Images

05-31-2022, 01:06 AM - 1 Like   #54
Pentaxian

Isn't it weird how opinions change with experience!
When I first got my KP I fitted the large grip, 'cos that was most like my earlier cameras, and struggled (a little) with the ergonomics.
Perseverance paid off and the overall capabilities of the camera won me over
When I got my K-3iii, the KP became a little surplus to requirements, 'till one day, with nothing else to do for a few minutes, I tried the other grips, and bingo, when fitted with the small grip, (an option I'd not considered trying!), the ergonomics of the design ethos showed through and I had a "retro" digital
Which brings me to the reason for this post
Is the "silver" KP actually satin chrome or similar, like a Spotmatic, or is it just a silver paint job?
06-02-2022, 10:55 AM - 1 Like   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Isn't it weird how opinions change with experience!
When I first got my KP I fitted the large grip, 'cos that was most like my earlier cameras, and struggled (a little) with the ergonomics.
Perseverance paid off and the overall capabilities of the camera won me over
When I got my K-3iii, the KP became a little surplus to requirements, 'till one day, with nothing else to do for a few minutes, I tried the other grips, and bingo, when fitted with the small grip, (an option I'd not considered trying!), the ergonomics of the design ethos showed through and I had a "retro" digital
Which brings me to the reason for this post
Is the "silver" KP actually satin chrome or similar, like a Spotmatic, or is it just a silver paint job?
it's a paint job!
06-03-2022, 04:24 PM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Probably, the magnesium alloy is impossible to work with to good effect. Even if it could be done, this would increase costs for the body. But I can report, the more current silver finish of AF lenses going back to the 1990's does not match with the previous satin chrome finish of the MF era, but these AF silver lenses are a good match with the current silver camera models. I have a silver MIJ FA 43mm f/1.9 Limited, bought for use with my film cameras over 20 years ago that now goes very well on my silver KP. Likewise with a silver FA 77mm f/1.8 Limited.

Last edited by mikesbike; 06-03-2022 at 04:31 PM.
06-04-2022, 12:47 AM   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Argos Quote
it's a paint job!
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Probably, the magnesium alloy is impossible to work with to good effect. Even if it could be done, this would increase costs for the body. But I can report, the more current silver finish of AF lenses going back to the 1990's does not match with the previous satin chrome finish of the MF era, but these AF silver lenses are a good match with the current silver camera models. I have a silver MIJ FA 43mm f/1.9 Limited, bought for use with my film cameras over 20 years ago that now goes very well on my silver KP. Likewise with a silver FA 77mm f/1.8 Limited.
Thanks for the details … I'll not "feel obliged" to obtain a "silver" KP until I'm in a position to "want/need" a matching lens
06-25-2022, 06:29 AM - 1 Like   #58
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I don't know where you read the "negative commentary" about the KP's looks and feel, .
you're wrong on that one
Many argued how KP is not so good, because they excpected K3III.

( which Kp is not )
-
While some argues were about missing 2nd card slot,

the other most negative comment was about the grip, and usability with large hands or large lens
-
LATER - AFTER 2 YRS,
Many of us - just excepted the KP - and inlove with it.

-
KP definitely hits the sweet spot - in many areas.

-
1 ) It HAS articulated screen.

2 ) It HAS the Flash unit ( while K3 III and K3 II, and K-1, and K-1 II don't

2 ) It HAS K1 jpg output quality

3) it HAS mirrorless look, smaller and lighter - versus older brothers in semi-pro league
4 ) it HAS good price / value for money.

- even now - when the price is higher in second hand market - for new ones

Last edited by panonski; 06-25-2022 at 06:44 AM.
09-02-2022, 11:38 AM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
I remember a lot of quite negative commentary about the KP looks and in particular feel when it first came out. I rarely see this any more.

I smashed my K-70 a bit ago and replaced it--a bit hesistantly remembering all the negativity--with a KP. From the instant I picked it up the feel said WOW. Compact. Weight beautifully centred in the hand. Great looks to my (old fashioned?) eyes. And an order of magnitude more settings instantly available (over the K-70). With the large grip the 16-85 and 55-300 PLM--my most used outdoor/sailing lenses--feel just right.

Did people just get over it? Or what?

If the K-new has such a feel--and it may--I may be tempted even though I probably shouldn't be as there is so much to still explore with the KP. (And hopefully in a few months my K70 will return in working order as a backup...a 50-50 chance I figure).

(But I'm not trying to hijack my own thread here, please...this last is just a personal observation).
Well, here I am, 2022 a very VERY chuffed new owner to an almost new KP and like you said and I said, the moment it came into our hands, it just felt so right.

It's been an interesting venture going from the K3iii, to the K70 and landing with the KP.
Have a great weekend
09-02-2022, 02:32 PM   #60
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PhotoLady Quote
It's been an interesting venture going from the K3iii, to the K70 and landing with the KP.
Sounds like an "interesting" trip … the KP is a great compromise!
Enjoy