Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-12-2020, 12:43 PM   #1

Software update

I can't update firmware from 1.00 to 1.11 on my Pentax KP. I have followed the instructions and the camera doesn't open the option screen to upgrade. I downloaded the file to the SD memory card.Followed all the steps: insert card, turn off camera, turn camera back on while pressing the menu bottom and the supposed window that says "Updates the camera firmware" never appears in the LCD monitor. What am I doing wrong? Do I need to send my camera in for service? Thank you for your help

08-12-2020, 12:51 PM - 1 Like   #2

If you are using Windows make sure you have extracted and are uploading the binary file which should have a file extension of .bin

Make sure you place the .bin in the root directory of the card. Windows explorer this directory should have nothing but a folder named DCIM in it.

Make sure the battery is fully charged. As I recall if the battery level is too low the camera will not do the update.
08-12-2020, 01:06 PM - 1 Like   #3
maw
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mota Quote
I can't update firmware
Did you unpack the file you downloaded? It must have this name ''fwdc232b.bin'' you have to copy it in a previously formatted card and once inserted in the free slot turn on the camera
and follow this one:

[1] Turn ON the camera.

2] Press MENU button to display MENU screen.

3] Press the four-way controller right to display [Set-up 5] screen menu.

4] Select [Firmware Info/Options] in the [Set-up 5] menu then press the four-way controller right.

The firmware version for camera is displayed on the [Firmware Info/Options] screen.

Make sure the battery is fully charged.

Good luck, Mario
08-12-2020, 05:40 PM - 1 Like   #4

Original Poster
Thank you very much for your help! I was finally able to upgrade the software. I was not extracting the file before trying to do the upgrade, Once again, Thank you