Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 40 Likes Search this Thread
08-29-2020, 06:30 AM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
It's nearly two years ago now, but if I recall correctly, I used back button AFC, 9 point select, and mostly single shot rather than spray and pray.
Thanks! I still don't really get why there's a difference between the back button AFC and the shutter release.

By the way, the colour in the Toucan makes it look artificial. I'm sure it's real, but the colours are so intense that it's hard to believe something like that can exist in nature. I'd love to see one of those in nature too!

---------- Post added 30-08-20 at 12:28 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
While that's certainly true, the question is, "does it matter?". I've read where folks complain that the light coming in through a FF lens is too widely dispersed for the smaller sensor resulting in fuzzy images. I haven't observed that, myself, with any FF lens.
It sounds counter-intuitive considering that the FF sees more of the lens FOV. Surely an APS-C body on a FF lens is seeing the sharpest part of the FOV?

QuoteQuote:
And that lens in particular is soooo sharp you have to watch out you don't cut yourself on it. So while there are theoretical reasons why its performance on an APS-C body is sub-optimal, that, to me, is a big, "who cares?", because it makes no practical difference. Sort of like the woman at the end of the long hallway your calculus teacher told you about. True, I get, well, wider and taller pictures with that lens out of the K-1, but I really do like it on the KP, particularly for back-yard bird photography, since I crop such pictures a lot anyway, and only the area covered by the APS-C sensor matters. It may be that the higher pixel density on the KP sensor would make a big difference from how people experience their results with that lens in conjunction with a K-70 or K-3.
In terms of the K-new, my expectation is that it will be able to take advantage of the resolution in the DFA 150-450 which the K3 can't use. I'm hoping that the reduced noise in the KP is also seen in the K-new. The reason for my post though, was to get an idea of whether the lens achieved focus faster and more reliably on the KP as well as improved behaviour with AFC. I guess I'm also curious how it performs on the K1 (in terms of speed to lock etc), but I'm not keen on a FF body because I actually like the extra reach of APS-C, even if perhaps it's partially an illusion.

08-29-2020, 02:11 PM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

When I shoot birds in flight and other action subjects I use AF.C single point, use TAV mode in most instances unless the light is constant, and try to maintain an F stop of F/11 or more (higher F stop number) depending on available light. I also use the shutter button to fire my shots, and a shutter speed of 1000 for most birds in flight, unless a faster speed is required.
08-29-2020, 03:19 PM - 1 Like   #18
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
By the way, the colour in the Toucan makes it look artificial. I'm sure it's real, but the colours are so intense that it's hard to believe something like that can exist in nature.
It's real. They are truly remarkable looking birds. The beaks look like they have been painted.

I was incredibly lucky to get these shots - they are very elusive birds. On my first trip to Iguazu in 2012 I did not see a single toucan - even from a distance. This time I got up at sunrise and found a small group of about six only a hundred metres or so from the hotel. I was the only human nearby.

As for the back button, I find separating the actions of focus and shutter activation to be very useful when tracking. I can keep my thumb on the AF button and only squeeze the trigger when the moment is right.
08-30-2020, 05:03 AM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
It's real. They are truly remarkable looking birds. The beaks look like they have been painted.
I didn't mean to imply that the image was fake, just that they look like something out of a movie, not reality.

QuoteQuote:
As for the back button, I find separating the actions of focus and shutter activation to be very useful when tracking. I can keep my thumb on the AF button and only squeeze the trigger when the moment is right.
OK, I need to try this somehow. Thanks!

---------- Post added 30-08-20 at 10:06 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
When I shoot birds in flight and other action subjects I use AF.C single point, use TAV mode in most instances unless the light is constant, and try to maintain an F stop of F/11 or more (higher F stop number) depending on available light. I also use the shutter button to fire my shots, and a shutter speed of 1000 for most birds in flight, unless a faster speed is required.
Is this on the KP or another body? I seldom have enough light for a high shutter speed combined with f11.

08-30-2020, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I didn't mean to imply that the image was fake, just that they look like something out of a movie, not reality.
It's all good Rob; I didn't think you were implying that at all. And I agree with you
08-30-2020, 04:26 PM - 1 Like   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
It's all good Rob; I didn't think you were implying that at all. And I agree with you
The only Toucans I've seen are on Guinness posters!
09-01-2020, 05:09 PM   #22
Unregistered User

... The reason for my post though, was to get an idea of whether the lens achieved focus faster and more reliably on the KP as well as improved behaviour with AFC. I guess I'm also curious how it performs on the K1 (in terms of speed to lock etc), but I'm not keen on a FF body because I actually like the extra reach of APS-C, even if perhaps it's partially an illusion.
If there's any difference between use on the KP and the K-1, I can't perceive it. It's so fast in autofocusing it amazes me, and on both cameras.

09-01-2020, 06:46 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

Is this on the KP or another body? I seldom have enough light for a high shutter speed combined with f11.
I use my K-5 IIs with my Sigma 150-500 DG OS for Pentax. The F/11 setting does very well, but the F/13 setting is what brings out more detail overall (due to more depth of field). I use the 1000 speed shutter in conjunction with those F stops when the natural light is plentiful. For example, if I am on the shore of a lake and the sun is shining from behind me and out onto the lake, then when for example a Seagull or Tern come flying out in front of me over the water, the light is shining in their direction and I am able to use the shutter speed and F stops I mentioned. This is particularly on sunny days. I usually am in TAV mode when I am getting shots of birds in flight.

Below is an internet address to an image thread that I posted on Pentax Forums. The image has the 1000 shutter speed and F/13.5 aperture attributes.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/12-post-your-photos/410051-nature-seagull-afternoon-flight.html

Last edited by C_Jones; 09-01-2020 at 08:36 PM.
09-04-2020, 03:07 AM - 2 Likes   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
If there's any difference between use on the KP and the K-1, I can't perceive it. It's so fast in autofocusing it amazes me, and on both cameras.
Sounds great! Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by C_Jones Quote
I use my K-5 IIs with my Sigma 150-500 DG OS for Pentax. The F/11 setting does very well, but the F/13 setting is what brings out more detail overall (due to more depth of field). I use the 1000 speed shutter in conjunction with those F stops when the natural light is plentiful. For example, if I am on the shore of a lake and the sun is shining from behind me and out onto the lake, then when for example a Seagull or Tern come flying out in front of me over the water, the light is shining in their direction and I am able to use the shutter speed and F stops I mentioned. This is particularly on sunny days. I usually am in TAV mode when I am getting shots of birds in flight.
OK, thanks!
09-07-2020, 03:33 AM   #25
Unregistered User

It's a very versatile lens.

Last edited by Unregistered User; 10-22-2020 at 08:39 AM.
09-07-2020, 03:35 PM - 1 Like   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
It's a very versatile lens.
True! Nice shots. It works quite well on my K3 or K5iis. I'm hoping that its performance will be even better on the new APSC flagship.
10-16-2020, 08:11 AM   #27

Hey RobG,
I recently started using the 150-450mm and KP combo and while it took some getting used to, I'm pretty happy with it now. I posted a few pics in the KP best shots thread (post #2576). All of those are the 150-450 (and a few are +1.4x TC). I found that AF micro adjustment was necessary, and the correction was different with and without the 1.4x converter.
It'll be interesting to see how this lens pairs with the K-new whenever that shows up.
10-16-2020, 07:07 PM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eric3929 Quote
Hey RobG,
I recently started using the 150-450mm and KP combo and while it took some getting used to, I'm pretty happy with it now. I posted a few pics in the KP best shots thread (post #2576). All of those are the 150-450 (and a few are +1.4x TC). I found that AF micro adjustment was necessary, and the correction was different with and without the 1.4x converter.
It'll be interesting to see how this lens pairs with the K-new whenever that shows up.
Thanks, I'll have a look! I haven't experimented much with AF microadjustment. I'm happy with the AF on my K3 in many situations, but the K3 processor seems to be easily overloaded by continuous AF and high speed shutter. I'll buy the Knew as soon as I can, but there's no news about it.
10-18-2020, 08:03 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I used the KP and DFA150-450 in Antarctica:

I can not speak highly enough of the combination. Specific to your enquiry, despite my lack of experience with BIF shooting, I found the AF system could track birds from a moving ship pretty successfully.

I took my K-1 as well, but the 150-450 lived on the crop body.

Spectacular shots. I should get a KP and not wait longer for the new body
10-18-2020, 08:51 PM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by siva.ss.kumar Quote
Spectacular shots. I should get a KP and not wait longer for the new body
That's always an option!