Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 40 Likes Search this Thread
08-28-2020, 01:30 AM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does anyone use the KP with the DFA 150-450?

I'm interested in the performance of the KP with the DFA 150-450 in terms of getting an idea of how the lens might perform with the future APS-C body. I use the lens with the K5iis and K3, and I feel that neither body is able to fully take advantage of the lens.

08-28-2020, 01:53 AM - 1 Like   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi Rob, the Sample Photo Search has some great pix with that combo.
Attached Images

08-28-2020, 02:03 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi Rob, the Sample Photo Search has some great pix with that combo.
Thanks! I wasn't after photos so much as the experience of people with the use of the combination. I have the impression that a camera with a faster processor would get better results from the lens in terms of achieving focus lock.

PS I see at least one person using the combination has been able to get plenty of "bird in flight" photos by pushing the ISO as high as 6400. I can't push it above 1600 on the K3 without the noise becoming unacceptable. So that's another factor with the high ISO performance on the KP.

Last edited by RobG; 08-28-2020 at 02:18 AM.
08-28-2020, 02:35 AM - 1 Like   #4
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Thanks!
Most welcome.

08-28-2020, 05:24 AM   #5
Unregistered User

... I feel that neither [APS-C] body is able to fully take advantage of the lens.
While that's certainly true, the question is, "does it matter?". I've read where folks complain that the light coming in through a FF lens is too widely dispersed for the smaller sensor resulting in fuzzy images. I haven't observed that, myself, with any FF lens. And that lens in particular is soooo sharp you have to watch out you don't cut yourself on it. So while there are theoretical reasons why its performance on an APS-C body is sub-optimal, that, to me, is a big, "who cares?", because it makes no practical difference. Sort of like the woman at the end of the long hallway your calculus teacher told you about. True, I get, well, wider and taller pictures with that lens out of the K-1, but I really do like it on the KP, particularly for back-yard bird photography, since I crop such pictures a lot anyway, and only the area covered by the APS-C sensor matters. It may be that the higher pixel density on the KP sensor would make a big difference from how people experience their results with that lens in conjunction with a K-70 or K-3.
08-28-2020, 07:34 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I'm interested in the performance of the KP with the DFA 150-450 in terms of getting an idea of how the lens might perform with the future APS-C body. I use the lens with the K5iis and K3, and I feel that neither body is able to fully take advantage of the lens.
I'd be interested to know what features of the lens aren't being taken full advantage of.
I use my KP with a Sigma 150-500mm almost exclusively and am very happy with it, so a change to a 150-450mm might be considered a "downgrade", but if there's performance considerations I'm unaware of I could be tempted
08-28-2020, 09:11 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Thanks! I wasn't after photos so much as the experience of people with the use of the combination. I have the impression that a camera with a faster processor would get better results from the lens in terms of achieving focus lock.

PS I see at least one person using the combination has been able to get plenty of "bird in flight" photos by pushing the ISO as high as 6400. I can't push it above 1600 on the K3 without the noise becoming unacceptable. So that's another factor with the high ISO performance on the KP.
My experience with the KP is that I can take photos over ISO 10K without any noticeable noise; I should mention that higher ISO also results in loss of Dynamic Range and Color Fidelity, and I haven't noticed either of those either. On the other hand, I use my "DA 77-420mm" {a DA 55-300 PLM lens with a 1.4X TC attached} on the KP.

08-28-2020, 01:40 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I do have the lens, KP and K-3.
Haven't felt any difference using it with them in the combo's dynamic performances.
08-28-2020, 02:36 PM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

I also have a Sigma 150-500 that I have used with my Pentax cameras. The 150-450 is a lens that includes newer technology and the performance with aps-c would include the distance that you could reach for shots. I still get very nice shots with my 150-500, and have used it with my Pentax K-1 II also. I suppose the KP would be a nice candidate to use with the 150-450 for images, but as for me I like the top lcd screen that lists my settings so that I can view them all of the time. For people that are used to not having the top lcd screen that may not be required, but for me it is a valuable tool. As for the images themselves, you would probably get very nice images with the KP/150-450 combination, and if you did purchase the new aps-c that is being expected, you most likely would be looking at an improved overall performance and quality of images that would surpass the KP.

Good luck with your decision, and happy shooting!

Last edited by C_Jones; 08-28-2020 at 02:42 PM.
08-28-2020, 04:01 PM - 19 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I used the KP and DFA150-450 in Antarctica:

I can not speak highly enough of the combination. Specific to your enquiry, despite my lack of experience with BIF shooting, I found the AF system could track birds from a moving ship pretty successfully.

I took my K-1 as well, but the 150-450 lived on the crop body.

Last edited by Sandy Hancock; 08-28-2020 at 04:08 PM.
08-28-2020, 06:43 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
I do have the lens, KP and K-3.
Haven't felt any difference using it with them in the combo's dynamic performances.
That's interesting to know, thanks! I expected a significant difference between the two bodies in terms of speed to focus, hunting and tracking.

---------- Post added 29-08-20 at 11:47 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
I used the KP and DFA150-450 in Antarctica:
I can not speak highly enough of the combination. Specific to your enquiry, despite my lack of experience with BIF shooting, I found the AF system could track birds from a moving ship pretty successfully.

I took my K-1 as well, but the 150-450 lived on the crop body.
Great shots, Sandy! I'm really jealous that you got to visit Antarctica. That bodes well for the new flagship camera. What focus mode(s) did you generally use?
08-28-2020, 08:16 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Mmm... the postion pentax take with the Knew and then hopefully the K1new (a year or so later maybe) interests me. I could imagine the Knew being around 24mp still.... but I can't imagime a K1 new being around 36 still..... and if it is in the mid 40's or higher then it gets close to 24 on crop.... off course it's frame rate would be less.... assuming same'ish tech in both cameras..... so... not being a fan of the K3 on the 150-450 (for me) I will most likely wait for the next K1 new....

I tried the KP on the 150-450 a bit on my last trip to the flinders.... for no real reasome other to see if it wowed me for little birds compared to the K1.....and I didn't have any wow moments in general. I'm not knocking the KP as such.... just giving where I find myself (I sold my K3 a while back as I wasn't using it.... and bought a KP as a smaller travel camera kit when photography isn't a major focus.

With Pentax.... in recent times I've only ever found focus tracking type performance a bit better each camera generation.... never a night and day type paradigm shift.... I'd be very surprised if Knew is a paradigm shift in this regard.... but fingers crossed.

Last edited by noelpolar; 08-28-2020 at 08:24 PM.
08-28-2020, 10:50 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What focus mode(s) did you generally use?
It's nearly two years ago now, but if I recall correctly, I used back button AFC, 9 point select, and mostly single shot rather than spray and pray.
08-29-2020, 02:22 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

Great shots indeed.
I didn't know climate change had brought toucans to antarctic
Same for me, full 27 (BIF) or 9 point select (landed), 1 point very close ; but AFS and sometimes H bracketing.

Last edited by Zygonyx; 08-29-2020 at 02:27 AM.
08-29-2020, 03:25 AM - 3 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
I didn't know climate change had brought toucans to antarctic
LOL. I suspect you know this, but for the benefit of others who may not, the ships leaving for Antarctica leave from Ushuaia, which is the southernmost city in Argentina (and, in fact, the world). We got there from Buenos Aires, but made a little side trip to Iguazu Falls beforehand; hence the toucans