Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2020, 03:50 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Fooling my KP so it thinks I'm using an AF lens?

Hi all;

On a thread a couple of years ago, I noted the focus peaking behaviour of my KP. Pressing partway down on the shutter release when using a manual focus lens (or an AF lens with the camera set to MF) causes the peaking indication to disappear on the live view screen. I do a lot of macro shooting using manual focus lenses, extension tubes and reversed lenses. Now when I'm using AF lenses for macro shooting, I leave the camera on AF, but don't activate back button focus, just moving the camera back and forth until I get what I want in focus showing up in peaking. But that still leaves all of my manual macro set-ups without peaking support, which I would like to have if I can get it. (It's probably the thing I miss most from my K-S2, which never had focus peaking disappear like this.)

My question is this: Is there a way to fool my camera into thinking I'm using an autofocus lens when I am not? Some way of tricking one of the camera contacts that will report that an AF lens is currently mounted? I've heard that using foil on some contacts can fool the camera for some other funtionality fix that currently escapes me.

09-07-2020, 04:26 PM - 1 Like   #2
maw
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Thagomizer,

From the Menu screen -> Live view -> Focus Peaking -> On / Off the Focus Peaking is activated by setting it to On.
The manual focus with the lenses has nothing to do with it.

Is that what you wanted to know?

Ciao Mario
09-07-2020, 06:45 PM   #3

My understanding is the firmware in the lens needs to "handshake" with the camera body through the so-called data pin. So to "fool" the camera into detecting an AF lens you would somehow have to send valid data to the body and give the proper acknowledgement signals..

I believe you are thinking of the hack of making the camera detect a non-"A" lens as a KA mount lens so you can use matrix metering and the eDial to set aperture. This is a passive system that gives min and max aperture settings of the lens so the body can set the appropriate apertures and calculate exposure settings.
09-07-2020, 06:55 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maw Quote
Hi Thagomizer,

From the Menu screen -> Live view -> Focus Peaking -> On / Off the Focus Peaking is activated by setting it to On.
The manual focus with the lenses has nothing to do with it.

Is that what you wanted to know?

Ciao Mario
I have focus peaking activated, but with a manual lens, or an AF lens with the KP body set to MF, focus peaking disappears from the live view image on application of pressure to the shutter release. This behaviour does not occur with AF lenses when the body is on AF. My K-S2 does not do this. Check out the thread linked to in my first post at the top of the page for a more detailed explanation of what I've discovered.

I was hoping for a workaround, but from what Not a Number says above, that doesn't seem to be an option. No tinfoil fix for me!

09-07-2020, 06:59 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm impressed that you can shoot macro without a tripod. I was thinking maybe you could try a wired remote, but it would probably be too awkward. I'm assuming you are half pressing the shutter button to get the smoothest motion you can.

---------- Post added 09-07-20 at 10:25 PM ----------

Maybe this will help, in the menu under Button Customization, set your AF/AE-L button to ENABLE AF2. This will change your camera to back button autofocus, but, while you hold the AF/AE-L button it locks the focus with focus peaking on, and the shutter button will not make it disappear. It may take a bit of familiarization, but should not be too hard.

KP manual page 103.
09-07-2020, 07:59 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I'm impressed that you can shoot macro without a tripod. I was thinking maybe you could try a wired remote, but it would probably be too awkward. I'm assuming you are half pressing the shutter button to get the smoothest motion you can.

---------- Post added 09-07-20 at 10:25 PM ----------

Maybe this will help, in the menu under Button Customization, set your AF/AE-L button to ENABLE AF2. This will change your camera to back button autofocus, but, while you hold the AF/AE-L button it locks the focus with focus peaking on, and the shutter button will not make it disappear. It may take a bit of familiarization, but should not be too hard.

KP manual page 103.
I'm already using BBF, but when I'm shooting macro with manual lenses, I'm usually not pressing it. I'll give it a try, thanks!
09-08-2020, 05:33 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Did a test. No joy. Tried holding BBF and peaking still blinked out with shutter release half press for AF lenses with body set to MF, and MF lenses in either mode.

Oh well, it was worth a shot...
09-08-2020, 04:47 PM   #8
maw
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Thagomizer Quote
Did a test. No joy. Tried holding BBF and peaking still blinked out with shutter release half press for AF lenses with body set to MF, and MF lenses in either mode.

Oh well, it was worth a shot...
Hi Thagomizer,

Don't think about the back button, there is probably some incorrect setting in your camera, as I suggested you just have to open the Live View -> Focus Peaking -> On menu.
the other options are at your discretion.

Last night I tried with three lenses two autofocus and one manual, well, with all three I see the Focus Peaking active in MF / AF, if you don't get results, reset the camera.

Used Pentax K3II and K30 cameras, with optics:

Pentax-F Macro 50 mm f/2.8

Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8 - 4.5

Pentax-M 28mm F3.5

Hi, let me know if you have solved the problem .... Mario

09-08-2020, 05:25 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hi Thagomizer,

Don't think about the back button, there is probably some incorrect setting in your camera, as I suggested you just have to open the Live View -> Focus Peaking -> On menu.
the other options are at your discretion.

Last night I tried with three lenses two autofocus and one manual, well, with all three I see the Focus Peaking active in MF / AF, if you don't get results, reset the camera.

Used Pentax K3II and K30 cameras, with optics:

Pentax-F Macro 50 mm f/2.8

Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8 - 4.5

Pentax-M 28mm F3.5

Hi, let me know if you have solved the problem .... Mario
It is quite possible that this is not a problem with the K-30 or the K-3. it is not a problem with my K-S2; focus peaking stays on through shutter release half-press with whatever lenses I use. It was a problem with the first KP I borr˛wed (which is where I first came across this difference in focus peaking function) and with the KP I purchased. Other KP users have confirmed this behaviour as well. There is no setting I can see in the menus or instructions that would remedy this.
09-08-2020, 07:14 PM   #10
maw
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Thagomizer Quote
There is no setting I can see in the menus or instructions that would remedy this.
I was rereading the specifications in the manual, try to reread and check the key points in the Memo section on page 61 of the KP manual. I can't believe this is so.

Pentax menus have more or less the same functionality, and this is an exception, I don't think it is possible.

Bye, let me know.
09-08-2020, 09:12 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I was rereading the specifications in the manual, try to reread and check the key points in the Memo section on page 61 of the KP manual. I can't believe this is so.

Pentax menus have more or less the same functionality, and this is an exception, I don't think it is possible.

Bye, let me know.
Thanks for the tip! I checked it out and found something interesting. The Memo section on page 61 of the KP manual contains this line:

"The outline of the subject is not emphasized while autofocus is performed or a movie is recorded."

I had not noticed this before. This would appear to be more or less what is happening with focus peaking on the KP with partial shutter release press. I don't shoot video, so I've never noticed it cut out in that circumstance, but plenty while macro still shooting, which is when I rely on peaking the most. If I weren't doing hand held macro shooting in the field, I probably would never have noticed this behaviour. I've now changed how I shoot macro with AF lenses, leaving AF activated on the body but not touching BBF, focusing by moving the camera and lens towards or away from the subject. In this case, peaking stays on through partial press of the shutter release. If I do press BBF, peaking does cut out, but if I press the shutter release, it does not.

This particular line describing focus peaking not operating "while autofocus is performed" is not in the K-S2 manual, the K-3 manual, the K-70 manual or the K-1 manual. And it's not even just that, because peaking indication stops with manual focus lenses with the body set in either focus mode, and with AF lenses with the body set for MF, whenever pressure is put on the shutter release even though I'm using back button focus, which decouples focus function from the shutter release button. And with manual lenses, the camera isn't going to and cannot focus anyhow, so no "autofocus is performed" in those situations at all. So for some strange reason, it would appear that a deliberate change was made in how focus peaking works in the KP. Not all changes are improvements.

Unfortunately it is an exception and it is possible. If you have any other suggestions of things I can try, I'm listening! It would be great to find some setting that would solve this problem, but I don't think there is one. I would dearly love to be proven wrong!