Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
09-10-2020, 10:48 AM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Have I missed a setting somewhere?

Scenario : Camera (KP) is switched on but has gone into "Auto Power Off" mode (p.42 in the manual).

To reactivate the camera I just need to touch (half-press) the shutter button and the metering springs into life, but the autofocus doesn't become available for some noticeable time (half second or more?) later, unless I release then half-press the shutter button a second time.
I'm learning to live with this simply because my previous solution, of not enabling 'Auto Power Off', had left me with an embarrassingly flat battery once too often. (yes, I carry a spare )

The annoying thing is that this "double-press" sequence is only necessary on my KP. On my K-70 and earlier cameras the autofocus system wakes up with the metering and is available virtually instantaneously.

Is there some option in the extensive menu system that I've managed to miss which affects this functionality? I've even sat with the KP and the K-70 side-by-side (both cameras have the latest v.1.11 firmware) going through the menus comparing like with like where appropriate and can't see any differences

As always, constructive comments and solutions (if possible) will be appreciated

Last edited by kypfer; 09-10-2020 at 10:54 AM.
09-10-2020, 11:10 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There is no solution to this behavior, it's 2x half-press
09-10-2020, 11:34 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Extend the sleep setting to something longer?

That is truly a strange behavior. I wonder if it does the same if using the AC power adapter or a D-Li90 battery in the optional grip?

Steve
09-10-2020, 02:43 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Crooski Quote
There is no solution to this behavior, it's 2x half-press

That's what I anticipated ... but didn't want to hear

---------- Post added 09-10-20 at 02:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Extend the sleep setting to something longer?

That is truly a strange behavior. I wonder if it does the same if using the AC power adapter or a D-Li90 battery in the optional grip?

Steve
If by "extend the sleep setting" you mean extend the time before the camera goes into "power save", that's exactly where I've come from, 'cept I'd extended the interval to "infinity". Problem then is that the battery goes flat after about 4-5 hours whether I use the camera or not!

Behaviour is the same with the AC power adaptor ... I don't have a grip, can't justify paying something like a quarter of the original cost of the camera just to save having to swap the battery! I have got a grip for my K-5 (why do Pentax insist in making accessories obsolete or model specific?) ... I hardly ever use it, makes the camera bulky and heavy and the bigger battery in the K-5 gives me more life than I've ever needed anyway

Last edited by kypfer; 09-10-2020 at 03:21 PM.
09-10-2020, 03:55 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
If by "extend the sleep setting" you mean extend the time before the camera goes into "power save", that's exactly where I've come from, 'cept I'd extended the interval to "infinity". Problem then is that the battery goes flat after about 4-5 hours whether I use the camera or not!
I was thinking something closer to maybe five minutes. I have mine set to 3 minutes on my K-3.

Steve
09-10-2020, 04:20 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I was thinking something closer to maybe five minutes. I have mine set to 3 minutes on my K-3.
Steve

All my other bodies are set to 1 minute (or whatever the minimum time is), it's never a problem. See a subject, lift the camera, half-press the button to wake up the camera and focus, start taking pictures.
With the KP the auto-focus doesn't "wake up" for a noticeably annoying delay unless I press the button a second time in quick succession, at which point it's good to go ... I'm learning to live with it
90+% of the time it's not an issue, but when that once a year shot turns up, presents itself for a few seconds and is gone again I'd rather be taking pictures than trying to figure out why the silly thing won't focus

I had less than four minutes from when these dolphins appeared 'till they'd gone out of sight around the headland ... fortunately I was as awake as the camera I'd been hoping for a shot like this, from one of my favourite vantage points, for over three years ... it happened on Monday!
09-10-2020, 07:24 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've never noticed this, but I have my KP set to back button focus (AF2). So after trying this scenario several times, it focuses nearly immediately after wakeup.

09-10-2020, 11:44 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I've never noticed this, but I have my KP set to back button focus (AF2). So after trying this scenario several times, it focuses nearly immediately after wakeup.
Thanks.
It's the "almost immediately" that's annoying me!
You're managing to overcome the "double-press" problem by using two buttons rather than one, which is fine if back-button focus suits you.
Unfortunately I continue to use more than one model of camera and the back-button-focus control is in a different place on most of the models. I've tried it and it's frustratingly difficult for me to adapt from one body to the other. It's even more difficult if wearing gloves!
I even had difficulty adapting to the slightly different ergonomics of the KP's shutter-button placement, and the front e-dial continues to catch me out if I'm in a hurry.
If the KP didn't have such a wide range of useful features and produce such good pictures I'd have probably given up on it some while ago!
09-11-2020, 04:16 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Thanks.
It's the "almost immediately" that's annoying me!
You're managing to overcome the "double-press" problem by using two buttons rather than one, which is fine if back-button focus suits you.
Unfortunately I continue to use more than one model of camera and the back-button-focus control is in a different place on most of the models. I've tried it and it's frustratingly difficult for me to adapt from one body to the other. It's even more difficult if wearing gloves!
I even had difficulty adapting to the slightly different ergonomics of the KP's shutter-button placement, and the front e-dial continues to catch me out if I'm in a hurry.
If the KP didn't have such a wide range of useful features and produce such good pictures I'd have probably given up on it some while ago!
When something like button placement changes it does take a little time, I was pressing the green button often when I meant to focus. Now that I'm used to the KP, the K-50 feels a little strange when I use it.
09-11-2020, 05:08 AM   #10
Unregistered User

I set mine to ten minutes. I figure if I haven't done anything with it by then, I've probably set it down somewhere having forgotten to turn it off. Also, I find it extremely frustrating to try to use the camera and find that it's gone to sleep, so any duration set lower than ten minutes runs that risk.
09-11-2020, 07:20 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
I set mine to ten minutes. I figure if I haven't done anything with it by then, I've probably set it down somewhere having forgotten to turn it off. Also, I find it extremely frustrating to try to use the camera and find that it's gone to sleep, so any duration set lower than ten minutes runs that risk.
The very nature of wildlife photography, which is what I spend most time at, is that nothing may happen for an extended period of time, then the stuff hits the proverbial fan.
Having got used to a camera (the K-70, K-5 and earlier) that responds the instant I touch the shutter button, it's still a feat of concentration to have to press the shutter button twice to get it to "come alive" ... we'll get there