Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-20-2020, 09:21 AM - 1 Like   #16

I had the K20D for 10 years! and also shot almost weekly with my 645. when I first held the KP she felt tiny but solid! yes I immediately used the large grip and yes it felt akward with my little finger hanging and I had a few cramps too hahaha BUT her weight feels amazing! and I use a sigma 70-300 on her. Sure I miss the full body size of my K20D BUT consider this... I almost sold everything Pentax related to completely change my game to Leica Q2.
Almost....
So when I held the KP she felt great size-wise compared to the Q2 where everyone complains for her shape and uncomfortable size.
So I feel that I got a very comfortable compact DSLR that has nothing to be jealous about any DSLR out there! she fits in more places than my K20D or my 645!

Last edited by NikoGkotsis; 10-20-2020 at 10:28 AM.
10-20-2020, 11:35 AM - 1 Like   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by bassek Quote
Found a almost new silver KP at a reasonable price, and went for it. A huge load of spare batteries came along.
The KP is a major upgrade from my K30, not only the hardware but the user interface is a leap forward (at least more complex).
Are there any settings that one should AVOID? Somehow I often get overexposed shots when trying out different modes.
Yes I know there is that ridiculous auto mode. My photographic ego aches when I use it.

PS: Is there a silver KP banner?
One thing that I've noticed with my KP is that the "bright" mode under Custom Image settings is much more intense than it is on the other Pentax cameras I've owned - almost to the point of being garish. On my *st DS, K-5 & K-3 they are all set for the "bright" mode setting. On those camera I find the "natural" mode somewhat "washed out". I would suggest trying out both settings with your KP.
10-20-2020, 09:06 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bassek Quote
Yes I know there is that ridiculous auto mode.
Just use "P" mode instead. This also gives access to the exclusive Pentax Hyper System, where you can choose a different shutter speed or aperture instantly at will, using your thumb and finger dials. Effectively shifting to Av or Tv without having to turn the mode dial first before making your selection. Then you can restore full "P" mode with a touch of the green button. The "auto" mode disables most controls and adjustments. For optimum results right out of the camera, implement 'Fine Sharpening" in the Custom Image menus, at least in the commonly-used "Bright" category.

My KP's metering is generally quite accurate. Of course, there are lighting situations that can throw off any metering, and it does happen. Most of my other Pentax DSLRs tend to underexpose some. My K-5 and K-5 IIs just slightly- about 1/3 stop, not enough to bother compensating in well-lit conditions. K-S2 is slightly more accurate. K20D is under by at least 1/2 stop. I usually have it compensated some. Results when checked on camera tend to look much brighter than really true, due to the very highly-backlit rear LCD screen, then results are invariably less bright when downloaded and viewed on a computer screen. And even that backlit screen can be misleading when it comes to making a print, which usually comes out darker.
10-21-2020, 12:41 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Just use "P" mode instead. This also gives access to the exclusive Pentax Hyper System, where you can choose a different shutter speed or aperture instantly at will, using your thumb and finger dials.
Thanks Mike! This was such a tip I was looking for. Next up is to try the M-series manual lenses (M85) on the KP.

10-21-2020, 02:56 AM - 1 Like   #20

There are certainly a few things that I had to get used to with the KP, like the grip sizes (none really fits my hand) and the significantly reduced battery life compared to my K-3. But then there are the third new control wheel, the tiltable rear monitor that is such a help and of course the image quality. IQ is incredibly good, simply great in low light conditions. The body is small and light, ideal for street photography and outdoor shooting. For me, at the moment, it is the (almost) perfect camera.
10-25-2020, 07:47 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
Can you buy the Limited J grip separately? I thought you had to buy the KP J Limited body? I think I should be ok with the largest grip. Now I've got it all set up how I like it I can't wait to get out taking some photos.
Unfortunately no, you'd had to buy the DSLR in order to get the grip.
10-25-2020, 04:50 PM - 3 Likes   #22
Veteran Member

I was an early adopter of the KP, never had any regrets.
The 300* pretty much lives on it for my bird shooting.

10-26-2020, 06:23 AM - 1 Like   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by robtcorl Quote
I was an early adopter of the KP, never had any regrets.
The 300* pretty much lives on it for my bird shooting.

How beautiful!!!! I have a 70-300 sigma dg and feels awesome with the KP [weight-wise] this one looks heavier!
10-28-2020, 08:08 PM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gene D Quote
The KP is my K-New! I just upgraded (used) to replace the K-S2 (which I loved) and this is a great camera. Feels like the best purchase I have made in my Pentax photography experience, as my first results are amazing.
Welcome aboard! Yes, indeed- the KP is the most uniquely-designed and unique conceptually in being a compact body with a pro-level build. Wonderful imaging and features. Great set of controls. And all this at an incredible price point. Enjoy!
10-29-2020, 01:04 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BryantCP Quote
One thing that I've noticed with my KP is that the "bright" mode under Custom Image settings is much more intense than it is on the other Pentax cameras I've owned - almost to the point of being garish. On my *st DS, K-5 & K-3 they are all set for the "bright" mode setting. On those camera I find the "natural" mode somewhat "washed out". I would suggest trying out both settings with your KP.
Hmmm. I don't get that at all. I had been used to my K-5 IIs, which I still have and like, but found just slight underexposure. In test reviews, there have been consistent remarks about Pentax under-setting a number of parameters presumably to leave headroom for any desired post process, and the results showed up as "mushy" JPEG images. The recommended "fix" for the KP and other models, which I have been using for years in my own various models, is to set up "Fine Sharpening" in the Custom Image menus. This will allow better detail to emerge, and maybe look not as glaring to you.

With the K-5 IIs I even increase the sharpening level also, which is already up by one notch as default in the "Bright" category, by yet one more notch as well as implementing"Fine Sharpening". But I leave the "Bright" sharpening level itself as is with the 24mp KP. Just implementing "FineSharpening" seems to do the trick. With the K-5 IIs, and especially with the K20D when setting to "Bright" the colors seem somewhat oversaturated especially for skin tones. Not as much with my KP, it seems. But everyone has their own tastes. At least we have the ability to make our own adjustments!

Last edited by mikesbike; 10-31-2020 at 01:01 PM.
10-29-2020, 01:12 PM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I purchased a silver KP on Black Friday 2018, and have never regretted it. I use it with the smallest grip, which gives it essentially the same dynamics as I got from my "Super Program" {left end of my signature photo} for twelve-plus years. I use it with custom mode set to "natural" and contrast set to +1 {I believe that is -1 from the default setting}, which renders the scene as I see it.
11-09-2020, 08:20 AM - 1 Like   #27
Forum Member

I only wish it was a bit lighter for carrying around. But it's a good camera with fine image quality
11-10-2020, 12:46 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rodcy Quote
I only wish it was a bit lighter for carrying around. But it's a good camera with fine image quality
Yesterday I had my KP & 21mm limited in my jacket pocket. A solid build comes with weight I'm afraid. I actually love its solid feel
11-11-2020, 12:55 AM   #29
Pentaxian

yes

Cerebum: you are right. KP feels smallish, but as for its weight - it is quite heavy for its size. On the other side - this is good, because your grip is more solid.
11-11-2020, 04:36 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cport Quote
Cerebum: you are right. KP feels smallish, but as for its weight - it is quite heavy for its size. On the other side - this is good, because your grip is more solid.
the battery grip changes all of that lol. The KP with a grip is bigger than a K3 with a grip lol it does make a huge difference to the handling though