Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2020, 05:33 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Richie53rd's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: London, England
Posts: 22
Do I really need a KP? UPDATE

Well after a lot of research, reading reviews, watching YouTube videos, and the fact that the K-new release has been delayed again, I bought myself a KP Silver Edition. I think I got a good deal (well I was happy with it) 670 for a brand new body, still sealed, totally unopened. I really wanted to try one out first but don't know any fellow Pentaxians and couldn't find anywhere locally to hire one. My first impressions, I don't like the grips (I've tried all 3) but settled on the largest. That's my only complaint (so far) although I haven't taken it out on a shoot yet. I love the fact that it feels solidly built like my K-3. I've been messing about with the settings, getting it set up with all my usual Pentax camera settings, and there are so many more customisation possibilities (5 user modes, 3 custom functions on the top dial and 3 customisable fx buttons). The only other downside is probably the short battery life, I'll just have to make sure I charge up a couple of spare batteries before I take it out on a shoot, it's handy that it takes the same battery as my K-70 although it would've been much better if it had taken the same battery as my K-3.

10-18-2020, 05:40 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Moderator
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Sandy Hancock's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Adelaide Hills, South Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 9,250
The battery is fine. How many shots do you take on a typical day?
But if in doubt (and especially if you have any heavy lenses), get the battery grip, which takes the D-Li90.

Enjoy the KP. I love mine.
10-18-2020, 06:06 AM - 1 Like   #3
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter
pepperberry farm's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: probably out in a field somewhere...
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 21,401
you haven't used it yet?
10-18-2020, 06:06 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Lancaster
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,520
Like Sandy said, the grip is a good addition but it does change the dynamic. The KP with the medium grip is brilliant when used with limited lenses. When I put anything bigger on though I use the grip. That does however turn it from a small camera into a big one. Try it with a limited and the medium grip, shoot anything and everything. I love mine to bits

10-18-2020, 07:21 AM - 3 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
ramseybuckeye's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hampstead, NC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,134
QuoteOriginally posted by Richie53rd Quote
My first impressions, I don't like the grips (I've tried all 3) but settled on the largest. That's my only complaint (so far) although I haven't taken it out on a shoot yet. I love the fact that it feels solidly built like my K-3. I've been messing about with the settings, getting it set up with all my usual Pentax camera settings, and there are so many more customisation possibilities (5 user modes, 3 custom functions on the top dial and 3 customisable fx buttons). The only other downside is probably the short battery life, I'll just have to make sure I charge up a couple of spare batteries before I take it out on a shoot, it's handy that it takes the same battery as my K-70 although it would've been much better if it had taken the same battery as my K-3.
I was unsure about the grip when I first got the KP but I quickly got used to it, now the grip on the K-50 feels bloated when I use it. There was something in one of the videos or articles on the Knew where they talked about the importance of the middle finger and the grip and I realized, yes that makes sense, although I can't explain that. And I really don't understand why some people think you need a massive grip for larger lenses, it must be their camera holding method. I support the lens with my left hand and use the right to control the camera. The largest lens I have is the DA*300 and I now use that with a teleconverter, that handles very easily, I use the large grip but think it would fine with any of the three. There are more customization possibilities than I will ever use. You get used to shooting certain ways and forget about the possibilities, I should make a plan to try something new each month. I've never thought of the battery life as a problem since they are small enough to put one or two in your pocket. I normally leave a the battery in my camera when done shooting and not worry about where it is, when it's spent I replace it, and charge it when I get home. But battery life works different for everyone because of our different habits and settings. My only downside to the KP is that it is far more capable than I am, but of course all of the cameras are.
10-18-2020, 07:43 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2013
Location: Hertfordshire, England
Posts: 617
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
My only downside to the KP is that it is far more capable than I am, but of course all of the cameras are.
I am not a fan of any of the grips but I seem to have settled with the medium. I now consider it to be a minor issue that I easily tolerate because the KP is such a superb camera. Your final sentence certainly applies to me also!!

Philip
10-18-2020, 07:54 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
acoufap's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Munich, Germany
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,331
Of course you need a KP - everybody does!

IMO a great camera. I own the silver version. When I started to use the DA*11-18 with it, I interchanged the small grip against the middle sized one. That let me feel more secure that the camera won't slide out of my hand when holding the camera at the long arm down. If you solely use it with a neck strap that's nothing to bother. While photographing you have to hold the camera like older film cameras like the MX or ME Super that even don't show any sign of grip. ;-)

When I was in Berlin one year ago, one day I was happy to have four (!) batteries with me. The whole day shooting, some short FullHD videos that required the monitor to be active and the active astrotracer unit attached to record GPS data. I guess although the latter has it's own battery the camera takes also some energy from the camera battery. So it's a good idea to have spare batteries with you.
10-18-2020, 12:14 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Zygonyx's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ile de France
Posts: 3,685
The best KP grip is the J Limited wooden one imho, for general use : sufficiently deep and rounded to keep all fingers attached.
Although if i use 300mm or longer lenses, i still prefer the bottom+battery D-BG7 combo.

10-18-2020, 01:13 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Richie53rd's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: London, England
Posts: 22
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The battery is fine. How many shots do you take on a typical day?
But if in doubt (and especially if you have any heavy lenses), get the battery grip, which takes the D-Li90.

Enjoy the KP. I love mine.
On a usual photo outing I take probably at most 100 shots so the battery would be fine for that. My usual photography is live bands where I have taken up to 600 shots on several occasions. When bands are allowed to start playing again I'll just have to rely on my trusty K-3.

---------- Post added 10-18-20 at 01:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Like Sandy said, the grip is a good addition but it does change the dynamic. The KP with the medium grip is brilliant when used with limited lenses. When I put anything bigger on though I use the grip. That does however turn it from a small camera into a big one. Try it with a limited and the medium grip, shoot anything and everything. I love mine to bits
I've just bought a manual focus 24mm lens so I might stick that on the KP for some street photography.

---------- Post added 10-18-20 at 01:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Zygonyx Quote
The best KP grip is the J Limited wooden one imho, for general use : sufficiently deep and rounded to keep all fingers attached.
Although if i use 300mm or longer lenses, i still prefer the bottom+battery D-BG7 combo.
Can you buy the Limited J grip separately? I thought you had to buy the KP J Limited body? I think I should be ok with the largest grip. Now I've got it all set up how I like it I can't wait to get out taking some photos.
10-18-2020, 03:02 PM - 2 Likes   #10
New Member




Join Date: Jan 2017
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17
QuoteOriginally posted by Richie53rd Quote
Well after a lot of research, reading reviews, watching YouTube videos, and the fact that the K-new release has been delayed again, I bought myself a KP Silver Edition. I think I got a good deal (well I was happy with it) 670 for a brand new body, still sealed, totally unopened. I really wanted to try one out first but don't know any fellow Pentaxians and couldn't find anywhere locally to hire one. My first impressions, I don't like the grips (I've tried all 3) but settled on the largest. That's my only complaint (so far) although I haven't taken it out on a shoot yet. I love the fact that it feels solidly built like my K-3. I've been messing about with the settings, getting it set up with all my usual Pentax camera settings, and there are so many more customisation possibilities (5 user modes, 3 custom functions on the top dial and 3 customisable fx buttons). The only other downside is probably the short battery life, I'll just have to make sure I charge up a couple of spare batteries before I take it out on a shoot, it's handy that it takes the same battery as my K-70 although it would've been much better if it had taken the same battery as my K-3.
The KP is my K-New! I just upgraded (used) to replace the K-S2 (which I loved) and this is a great camera. Feels like the best purchase I have made in my Pentax photography experience, as my first results are amazing. Funny re the grip points--I have large hands and the KP is no problem for me given how I hold it using the larger grip. Guess its a bit different depending on user. Armed with a few batteries my initial few hours with the camera, probably about 100-110 photos, and no problem with the battery that was fully charged when I started. So before pursuing the grip you may want to see what its like based on your shooting style, the functions you have open and how you use it unless of course the grip issue is insurmountable. Have fun...I am still learning after a few weeks but it truly is amazing--and with the $1000 I figure I saved getting the lightly used one over the long awaited K-new, I can maybe look at some new glass instead
10-18-2020, 06:41 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
ramseybuckeye's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hampstead, NC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,134
QuoteOriginally posted by Richie53rd Quote
On a usual photo outing I take probably at most 100 shots so the battery would be fine for that. My usual photography is live bands where I have taken up to 600 shots on several occasions. When bands are allowed to start playing again I'll just have to rely on my trusty K-3.[COLOR="Silver"]
Low light is where the KP truly shines.
10-19-2020, 03:17 AM - 1 Like   #12
Senior Member




Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 290
well

I am using the middle grip - good with limiteds as well as big lenses like 11-18/2,8.


As for battery life - using wifi, LV in cold days takes them. So I can recommend 1-2 spare ones. I am regularly changing them. But, to be honest, I needed them only once - during 5-day trip full of active shooting in Slovenian mountains.

Btw. the KP customization is amazing. It has even features which K-1II misses.
10-19-2020, 04:41 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Southeastern Michigan
Posts: 2,697
QuoteOriginally posted by Richie53rd Quote
On a usual photo outing I take probably at most 100 shots so the battery would be fine for that. My usual photography is live bands where I have taken up to 600 shots on several occasions. When bands are allowed to start playing again I'll just have to rely on my trusty K-3.
Just like with the K-70, it is pretty quick to change batteries. Taking a spare is always a good idea, and their being so small makes that easy. The larger battery for the KP's design would have necessitated a somewhat larger, heavier body, while the idea was for the lightest, most compact possible design in an advanced and pro-oriented body.

Like the rest of us KP owners, I think you'll find the more you use it and adjust to its design concept, the more you will find yourself appreciating this very unique and capable camera! I bought the battery grip based on general principle and my past experience with my K-5 then K-5 IIs. Not something I use regularly, but convenient in some instances and with some lenses. With it installed, the weight is around the same as the K-3, but the battery life is even longer and with lots of gripping surface. And you get some duplicate vertical controls for easier vertical use.

As for myself, at the larger end of medium hand size, I used the "no-grip" film bodies for years, so with small lenses the standard small grip is just fine, then I can change according to which larger lenses I might be using, just for general handling and balance.

Last edited by mikesbike; 10-20-2020 at 08:39 PM.
10-19-2020, 05:19 PM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Perfessor5646's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Louisville, KY
Photos: Albums
Posts: 416
Jeez, you guys...

I’m growing impatient for the K-New as well. My K70 is starting to experience aperture block failure and the memory card no longer locks in place and I also have a K3II that’s my main camera.

I’ve mentally prepared to spend up $1800 for the K-New on one hand but on the other, a buying a KP leaves more than a grand left for a pretty nice lens.

I keep telling myself, “Patience, no rush, resist temptation.” And you guys aren’t helping.
10-20-2020, 12:58 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member
bassek's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2011
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 685
Found a almost new silver KP at a reasonable price, and went for it. A huge load of spare batteries came along.
The KP is a major upgrade from my K30, not only the hardware but the user interface is a leap forward (at least more complex).
Are there any settings that one should AVOID? Somehow I often get overexposed shots when trying out different modes.
Yes I know there is that ridiculous auto mode. My photographic ego aches when I use it.

PS: Is there a silver KP banner?
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bands, battery, dslr, grip, k-3, k3, kp, lenses, love, medium, mine, pentax k-3, pentax kp, photography, pm, post, settings, shoot, shots
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do I really need a KP? Richie53rd Pentax K-3 16 09-16-2020 07:19 AM
Advice pls - 135mm smc m only shoots wide open on KP body - do i need to adapt? madad07 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 12 08-09-2020 12:43 PM
KP vs K-70 - to KP or not to KP, that is the question OldChE Pentax DSLR Discussion 28 11-02-2019 05:29 AM
I do really need a longer OVF cover please recommend some Karen the Star Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 17 08-20-2019 08:01 AM
What do I really lose choosing K-70 vs KP bobmaxja Pentax DSLR Discussion 54 08-25-2018 10:47 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:20 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top