Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
10-26-2020, 08:04 AM   #1

to grip or not to grip!?

Hey everyone and happy Monday!

I have the KP for almost a year and I have been having the dilemma to buy the battery grip or not...

First of all I have to say that I do use the camera almost daily and shoot roughly 50 shots min and 200 max...so battery IS an issue for me..

BUT

229$ for a grip seems insane!
also there are NO used ones on eBay or they sell more than 250$ which is weird...

Why is it still so pricey and why I cannot find a decent used one..I do not know!

Do you think it is worth the money?

10-26-2020, 08:22 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don´t think there is a definite answer to this, it is very much up to your personal preferences. I have used a grip in all my bodies since the days of the K-5 up to my current K-1 MkII. Maybe already earlier, not sure about this.
To me the key reasons for this are:
-I found the crop bodies easier to handle with a grip attached. Especially with long and heavy telephoto lenses.
-The extra battery allows you to shoot one full day without recharging. This is a significant advantage when shooting in the wilderness.
- The slot for an extra memory card is a plus
-The extra weight doesn´t matter that much as most of the time I use fast and rather heavy lenses

Grip prices went up a couple of years ago. The grip itself seems to be pretty much the same...

Last edited by PePe; 10-26-2020 at 08:30 AM.
10-26-2020, 08:36 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
When I first bought the KP i really wanted the grip but was not willing to pay that much for it. I assumed it would go on sale at some point but I’ve never saw it at anything but full price, or a couple times bundled with the body. The longer time has went on I don’t think I really need it. I like the size of the camera and I’m not sure it would still fit in my sling bag, the Thinktank Turnstyle 10, which is the perfect size for me. I read some people think it helps with longer lenses, but I don’t shoot with anything longer than the DA* 300 and 1.4 converter ant handles beautifully with that. batteries are easy to carry and change so that’s not really an issue. If the grip sold for half that price I would probably have one, but the more I have thought about it the less I want it, and less I think it is worth it. For that amount of money I have bought a Tamron macro 90 AF lens, a Sigma 50 macro lens, and an M42 28/2.8 lens since I’ve had the KP.
10-26-2020, 08:36 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PePe Quote
I don´t think there is a definite answer to this, it is very much up to your personal preferences. I have used a grip in all my bodies since the days of the K-5 up to my current K-1 MkII. Maybe already earlier, not sure about this.
To me the key reasons for this are:
-I found the crop bodies easier to handle with a grip attached. Especially with long and heavy telephoto lenses.
-The extra battery allows you to shoot one full day without recharging. This is a significant advantage when shooting in the wilderness.
- The slot for an extra memory card is a plus
-The extra weight doesn´t matter that much as most of the time I use fast and rather heavy lenses

Grip prices went up a couple of years ago. The grip itself seems to be pretty much the same...
Do you think I should buy an extra Battery with it or use the 6AA batteries ?

10-26-2020, 08:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
200 shots max...shouldn't one battery be able to accommodate that on the KP?
10-26-2020, 09:06 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
When I first bought the KP i really wanted the grip but was not willing to pay that much for it. I assumed it would go on sale at some point but I’ve never saw it at anything but full price, or a couple times bundled with the body. The longer time has went on I don’t think I really need it. I like the size of the camera and I’m not sure it would still fit in my sling bag, the Thinktank Turnstyle 10, which is the perfect size for me. I read some people think it helps with longer lenses, but I don’t shoot with anything longer than the DA* 300 and 1.4 converter ant handles beautifully with that. batteries are easy to carry and change so that’s not really an issue. If the grip sold for half that price I would probably have one, but the more I have thought about it the less I want it, and less I think it is worth it. For that amount of money I have bought a Tamron macro 90 AF lens, a Sigma 50 macro lens, and an M42 28/2.8 lens since I’ve had the KP.
I totally agree regarding the size-in-bag issue...I am afraid she will be bulky..
Also I use a 70-300 and I can still manage the weight with the large grip fitted on...
what bothers me is that yes it will provide a longer life especially in outdoor shoots with extra monitor brightness and wifi-transfer but Ill have to buy an extra battery because using AA batteries all the time can be also pricey...
I already paying good money for AA batteries for the 645 hahaha
10-26-2020, 09:56 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

I bought a grip for my K10D and hated it. It's very much a marmite thing. It just took up valuable camera bag space so I've never bothered since. I just carry a spare battery and swap them when needed. I can see why some people like them, but they aren't for me.

10-26-2020, 10:04 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I usually get battery grip for my cameras, but 90% of the time I use the camera without a grip.
But I never payed more than $100 for a battery grip, and if they cost more than $200, I would probably skip buying one.
10-26-2020, 10:05 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NikoGkotsis Quote
Do you think I should buy an extra Battery with it or use the 6AA batteries ?
If you need the extra capacity farly frequently it is probably worthwhile getting a second battery. For long outings far from civilization and electricity I sometimes also carry a set of AA batteries to be used as a last resort. However, I do not want to revert to that repeatedly.
10-26-2020, 10:14 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I own a grip for my k-3 and my em1. I use neither.
10-26-2020, 11:51 AM   #11

I have one for my K3 II and love it... when I actually use it. Rewind a couple years and I was handed a press pass for a local college to take photos of the games. I noticed two things shooting vertical w/o a grip in that scenario:
1. It's easy to elbow random people walking by.
2. Trying to keep my elbow down created cramps in my wrist after a couple a few hours (women's & men's games back to back).

I'd usually swap batteries between games so battery life wasn't an issue. The grip did make a world of difference in comfort when shooting vertical shots for that long and I love that. But for 95% of my shooting, it stays in the bag because I typically don't need the extra battery and I'm usually shooting landscape.

If battery life is an issue for you, get two more batteries. Multiple batteries have died for my K3 II (and K20D before it) and they all died suddenly. If you only have one, you'll be disappointed when you go to use your camera and the battery has failed. When I buy a camera, I'll buy a 2-pack of extra batteries so I have a spare (and spare for my spare).
10-26-2020, 01:42 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

I could never see the point in buying a scaled down camera like the KP only to then bulk it up by fitting a grip, just buy a few spare batteries and spend the saved cash on something more useful!

So in answer to your question ,it’s a big NO from me
10-26-2020, 01:44 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
I could never see the point in buying a scaled down camera like the KP only to then bulk it up by fitting a grip, just buy a few spare batteries and spend the saved cash on something more useful!
I had always heard the KP was small. I finally went to camerasize and compared it. The k5 is smaller! The KP isn't much smaller then the k-3 with the exception of the grip. I'm very surprised and wish there was a place near me to feel one hands on.
10-26-2020, 01:50 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I had always heard the KP was small. I finally went to camerasize and compared it. The k5 is smaller! The KP isn't much smaller then the k-3 with the exception of the grip. I'm very surprised and wish there was a place near me to feel one hands on.
My previous camera body was a K5ii which I still owned when my KP arrived.I can confirm from direct comparison the dimensions of the K5ii were only slightly larger but it had the appearance/feel of being chunkier and was noticeably heavier.
10-26-2020, 02:05 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Whether it is worth it, is up to you.

I have one attached to my K10D, K5, K1.

Why because I'm a big guy and have large hands. I need the extra surface area for my hand size a grip provides.

The addition of a grip adds weight, but makes it easy to carry a spare battery and memory card, but extra weight is a consideration, if the person is small or not strong.