Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
10-26-2020, 02:39 PM   #16
Pentaxian

I've learnt to use my KP, usually fitted with a Sigma 150-500mm, with just the larger of the three bolt-on grips supplied. Battery life can be an issue, especially if not using Pentax original batteries and/or not keeping the rear screen disabled except when necessary, but for the asking price of the battery grip I'd rather just have a spare battery in my pocket and use the balance for something more useful
I bought a third-party battery grip for my K-5, thinking it'd be a good idea … made the camera so bulky as to be uncomfortably inconvenient in use, so it sits in the cupboard with the Samyang 800mm mirror, both "answers looking for a problem"

10-26-2020, 05:09 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought one mainly for the controls in portrait mode but I have small hands and didn't find that it was especially comfortable to use. And it made the camera a lot bulkier (which sort of defeats the whole point of the KP). I ending up selling it and I don't miss it. I got one with the K3 I bought and sold that after a while as well.
10-27-2020, 01:37 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Now I have 6 batteries. I do not use the flash that much so I shoot 300+ with one (original Pentax) battery on the K30, I would guess the same goes for the KP.

I keep the screen and power off at a quite short interval, so if I forget to turn the power off when not shooting it will not empty the battery.

So I do not need the grip. I rather carry 5 batteries in my pocket. But if I would shoot long video the need for grip would be obvious.

Seb

PS: anyone made a silver KP banner yet?
10-27-2020, 07:09 AM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
I could never see the point in buying a scaled down camera like the KP only to then bulk it up by fitting a grip, just buy a few spare batteries and spend the saved cash on something more useful!

So in answer to your question ,it’s a big NO from me
to be honest I agree... Its just that going from using the k20d for ten years and then doing to a scaled down body (KP) made me think that I need it... but you know what... I removed the large grip and put the small slim one on...and Ill try use and think of her as fuji or Leica. hahah

10-27-2020, 08:04 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NikoGkotsis Quote
.and Ill try use and think of her as fuji or Leica. hahah
There you've got it right! That and a lot more besides. One of the beautiful aspects of its concept is one can go from this concept to one of larger form just by installing a different grip, including the optional battery grip. So it can provide advantages that each form offers, all in one camera! I am lucky- I got my battery grip right away, for around $200 before the price increased. I only use it for times when I'll be using a lens larger than my DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 for a lengthy period, and then mostly for balance and carrying when not shooting. Or for lots of vertical shooting, or for shooting lengthy action events where I'll not want to be interrupted to deal with battery changing.

The advice I gave in another thread for setting up "Fine Sharpening" in the Custom Image menus, holds true for the KP as well. The KP's in-camera processor is exceptionally good for out-of-camera JPEG images. It is a great camera- enjoy!

The K20D's very saturated colors can be handy for well-lit colorful conditions- like in the Fall season for example. I still hang on to mine. Many like the colors from camera models having CCD sensors, but I think the K20D is easily their equal, with better resolution and with better features. I keep it usually set with exposure comp up by +1/3 stop and go from there. Someone has posted that he likes its color rendition best for portraits also. Maybe its underexposure also works better with flash for this purpose. I have never made these comparisons for portraits myself.

Last edited by mikesbike; 10-27-2020 at 08:14 PM.
10-27-2020, 09:54 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Depends on your needs.

Would I buy the grip as a daily carry accessory? No. I'd just slip a svelte second battery into the front pocket of my jeans if I was worried about running out of juice.

If, however, I needed to balance out a larger lens, such as the Da* 300mm, or if I found myself shooting an event for an extended period, I'd grip up for the improvement in ergonomics.
10-28-2020, 07:59 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gerbermiester Quote
Depends on your needs.

Would I buy the grip as a daily carry accessory? No. I'd just slip a svelte second battery into the front pocket of my jeans if I was worried about running out of juice.

If, however, I needed to balance out a larger lens, such as the Da* 300mm, or if I found myself shooting an event for an extended period, I'd grip up for the improvement in ergonomics.
Exactly.

11-01-2020, 07:37 AM - 1 Like   #23
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NikoGkotsis Quote
Hey everyone and happy Monday!

I have the KP for almost a year and I have been having the dilemma to buy the battery grip or not...

First of all I have to say that I do use the camera almost daily and shoot roughly 50 shots min and 200 max...so battery IS an issue for me..

BUT

229$ for a grip seems insane!
also there are NO used ones on eBay or they sell more than 250$ which is weird...

Why is it still so pricey and why I cannot find a decent used one..I do not know!

Do you think it is worth the money?
FYI- Adorama has them listed this AM with a rebate for $149. I was looking for one and came across it...

https://www.adorama.com/ipxbg7.html?
11-02-2020, 07:45 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gene D Quote
FYI- Adorama has them listed this AM with a rebate for $149. I was looking for one and came across it...

https://www.adorama.com/ipxbg7.html?
Just to clarify, the rebate is $80, bringing the total net price to $149.
11-02-2020, 08:34 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
I could never see the point in buying a scaled down camera like the KP only to then bulk it up by fitting a grip, just buy a few spare batteries and spend the saved cash on something more useful!
Not everybody buys the KP because it is petite. It has a great feature set and is currently Pentax's top-tier APS-C model, so having a grip available to make it handle better for some folks makes sense.
11-02-2020, 09:29 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I had always heard the KP was small. I finally went to camerasize and compared it. The k5 is smaller! The KP isn't much smaller then the k-3 with the exception of the grip. I'm very surprised and wish there was a place near me to feel one hands on.
You say that the K5 is smaller, yes it is but by a miniscule amount - K5 131 x 97 x 73mm Weight 740g ..... KP 132 x 101 x 76mm Weight 703g and the KP is quite a bit lighter. The largest grip on the KP still makes the KP feel a lot more compact, perhaps it is a phycological thing 😁

---------- Post added 11-02-20 at 09:32 AM ----------

I like having the KP without a bulky battery pack attached, it defeats the object of having a relatively compact design and just carrying an extra battery in my pocket is a much more easy thing to do in my opinion but it depends how many photos you take each time you go out I guess.
11-02-2020, 11:27 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wiltshireborn Quote
You say that the K5 is smaller, yes it is but by a miniscule amount - K5 131 x 97 x 73mm Weight 740g ..... KP 132 x 101 x 76mm Weight 703g and the KP is quite a bit lighter. The largest grip on the KP still makes the KP feel a lot more compact, perhaps it is a phycological thing 😁
Bear in mind that's about a 5% difference. I bet if you put both in identical boxes and tried to guess which was heavier it wouldn't be easy to tell reliably. At least not in a double blind test. 5% is almost nothing.

However I would imagine it feels different to hold and might feel smaller and lighter than the k5 when you are interacting with it and not just for psychological reasons. Weight distribution and the grip will make them feel different.
11-02-2020, 12:08 PM   #28
Pentaxian

I have a grip on both my K10 and K20, as it feels comfortable for me, and I like the extra battery capacity. Recently, I ordered a second hand K3, and looked at the cost of a grip for that. I was both surprised and pleased to find one was included in the package, along with both trays and a battery charger, which again I thought I would have to obtain separately. It is the Neewer grip, and apparently some people have had issues with that - see how it behaves when I go out to use the new toy ! Only issue with the grip is that it does not have storage space for the IR remote, but apparently the actual Pentax ones also suffer from this.