Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-30-2020, 01:16 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you had to choose....

Just wondering for those who have extensively used both the K3 and KP, if you could only have one, which would it be?

Let the show begin!

10-30-2020, 01:42 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

I own both of them. The K3 has probably 5 or 6 years, and the kp was bought soon after it was released. Need less to say the K3 was mostly used as a lens cap the last few years.

The KP has a few features that are for me indisoensable:

1. Using PS for macro work and the LV switch. This is one of my presets for studio work.

2. 5 User modes and a lot of customisable buttons, switches and combinations. I also use wi-fi once in a while to download fotos from my phone, have quick acces to aperture, iso, exposure compensation at the push a button and or rotate a wheel (LOT'S OF WHEELS). The ammount of customisation is close to unlimited.

3. A piece of art - a lot of thought (i probably spelled it wrong, but you know what i mean) was put into this camera, starting with the retro look, then the replaceable grips, possibility add a grip (probably the next step, to use with a large lens setup), and last but not least software fearures and customisation.

I think it my be time to find a new, loving home for it, as it is a shame to let it just sit on the sideline.
10-30-2020, 01:45 PM - 1 Like   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Might you also ask how many K-3/K-3II users chose to pass on the KP and why?

Steve

(...the KP is a fine camera and very worthy of ownership, but...)
10-30-2020, 02:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve

Or as some people say: horses for courses.

10-30-2020, 02:56 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a K-3 II and a K-70, and if I could own only one it would be the K-3 II, primarily because the K-70 does not, in my experience, handle well with larger (1.5 kg +) lenses. I have a battery grip attached to my K-3 II.

It would be interesting to see how a KP + battery grip handles vs a K-3 II + battery grip... because it's possible (for me) that the former would be the replacement for the latter, rather than a K-3 III.
10-30-2020, 06:26 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I have a K-3 II and a K-70, and if I could own only one it would be the K-3 II, primarily because the K-70 does not, in my experience, handle well with larger (1.5 kg +) lenses. I have a battery grip attached to my K-3 II.

It would be interesting to see how a KP + battery grip handles vs a K-3 II + battery grip... because it's possible (for me) that the former would be the replacement for the latter, rather than a K-3 III.
I think I can come close. I have and still use the K-5 IIs and its battery grip, which I'm sure is relatively close in size to the K-3 II combo, except the latter might be a couple of oz. heavier. I also have the KP and its battery grip. The K-3 II with its grip will be yet bulkier than the KP with its battery grip. However, the KP with its battery grip is about the same weight as the K-3 II without, while providing even greater gripping surface and length of battery charge life. In short, the KP with battery grip is far better in terms of handling with larger lenses than the K-70 (I also have the K-S2), but not as meaty as is the K-3 II WITH its battery grip. The KP's gripping surface with the battery grip is even yet greater when held in the vertical orientation, and is considerable. Sometimes I will choose to hold in this orientation when not shooting.
10-31-2020, 01:22 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I nave the K3 and KP both with grips. The KP would win hands down for me but it would be with great sadness. The K3 is ergonomically wonderful and is a great workhorse. It still produces top notch Images but the KP is a hair sharper. I currently have the smallest grip on and am using it with limited. It looks so compact The medium grip was my standard but I am having a switch for fun. Adding the battery grip makes it a big body, well balanced to cope with big lenses.. The customisation is stellar. In Av I have wheels controlling aperture, Exposure correction and iso, the third wheel is so useful. I like the flexibility of the tiltable screen (K3iii take note) and, being a silver one, I think it is a beautiful camera. Battery life and the diopter adjustment are the ONLY flaws for me but I can happily live with both. And that's why I won't be longing for a K3iii either. The KP is a rare and (in my eyes) beautiful thing

---------- Post added 10-31-20 at 01:30 AM ----------

The only downside is because of the KPs rarity, the 3rd party market is smaller and you can only get Pentax battery grips. Not a bad thing as they are stellar but not great if you are short of money. They are however only 2/3 the price of the ones for the new Nikon z6 which is nearer £350. What I would like to see is a few customisations, custom grips, maybe a leather half case if possible[COLOR="Silver"]

Last edited by Cerebum; 10-31-2020 at 01:31 AM.
10-31-2020, 05:52 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I nave the K3 and KP both with grips. The KP would win hands down for me but it would be with great sadness. The K3 is ergonomically wonderful and is a great workhorse. It still produces top notch Images but the KP is a hair sharper. I currently have the smallest grip on and am using it with limited. It looks so compact The medium grip was my standard but I am having a switch for fun. Adding the battery grip makes it a big body, well balanced to cope with big lenses.. The customisation is stellar. In Av I have wheels controlling aperture, Exposure correction and iso, the third wheel is so useful. I like the flexibility of the tiltable screen (K3iii take note) and, being a silver one, I think it is a beautiful camera. Battery life and the diopter adjustment are the ONLY flaws for me but I can happily live with both. And that's why I won't be longing for a K3iii either. The KP is a rare and (in my eyes) beautiful thing

The only downside is because of the KPs rarity, the 3rd party market is smaller and you can only get Pentax battery grips. Not a bad thing as they are stellar but not great if you are short of money. They are however only 2/3 the price of the ones for the new Nikon z6 which is nearer £350. What I would like to see is a few customisations, custom grips, maybe a leather half case if possible[COLOR="Silver"]

Good point about the battery grip. I bought the genuine Pentax grip for my K-3 II as a "used, like new" for $80.

The KP + battery grip is a handsome combination.
10-31-2020, 06:52 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The KP design is just too cool. It's what tempted me into buying (the features sealed the deal).
11-01-2020, 04:48 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

I have had both and decided the K3 and K3ii just didn't fit the bill like the KP did and still does. am now on my third KP body
What tick the boxes for me was the fact that the KP has an articulating screen. Plus it just looks really freaking retro and cool.
When the new Pentax K3 III comes out I will also be passing on it as it doesn't have an articulating screen........ too bad Pentax....what a huge mistake !
11-01-2020, 07:10 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
The KP design is just too cool. It's what tempted me into buying (the features sealed the deal).
The thing about the KP is it is Pentax's best kept secret. People have never seen one in the flesh and when they do they often look puzzled lol they can't work out if it is a big small camera or a small big one (deffo the latter). I suspect the vast majority are in the hands of PF members who know a good thing when they see one

---------- Post added 11-01-20 at 07:11 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
I have had both and decided the K3 and K3ii just didn't fit the bill like the KP did and still does. am now on my third KP body!
I rest my case
11-01-2020, 07:28 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
I have had both and decided the K3 and K3ii just didn't fit the bill like the KP did and still does. am now on my third KP body
What tick the boxes for me was the fact that the KP has an articulating screen. Plus it just looks really freaking retro and cool.
When the new Pentax K3 III comes out I will also be passing on it as it doesn't have an articulating screen........ too bad Pentax....what a huge mistake !
In someways things were better before the K-1. All the energy went into APS-c and the APS_c flagship had to be everything for everyone. We now see product differentiation with the K-3iii splitting out into action while the K-1 holds down the landscape / studio photography, macro market. The K-P would seem to be the best compromise for those of us who want it all in one body.

Last edited by normhead; 11-01-2020 at 07:56 AM.
11-01-2020, 09:45 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I use both (K-3ii/KP) about equally on average as they both have their pluses and minuses. But if forced to chose, I'd probably still lean towards the K-3ii; for the amount of hiking I do, it's nice to have the built-in GPS without having to attach an additional module.
11-14-2020, 08:26 AM   #14
Forum Member

I have both (KP, K3) with battery grip. I like to walk around old cities, hiking and portraiture. The KP with or without the grip fits better in my small backpacks. It is lighter, has the flip screen, it looks and works great with the 77, 20-40, 15... My old Sigma 70-200 HSM ll handles very well with the battery grip or even the large grip alone. I can play (or choose) with the grips. I find that the small grip gives it a nice and cool retro look. Medium grip for medium sized lenses. It has a more decisive af. I can feel it has a bit of a better IBIS. Better noise and dynamic range performance. So if Pentax follows this trend (which in my opinion would be a positive one), K3 styled cameras, K1 FF styled cameras, and the KP type of cameras, I am pretty sure I would stay in the KP camp. The K3’s and the KP are just very good but different types of cameras.
11-17-2020, 03:50 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve

I had this decision to make and chose the K-3 II twice (mint/used copies from Japan/eBay) over buying the KP.
I bought the black edition first and the sliver edition after that as a back-up, since I liked the K-3 II so much.
I actually did keep looking at the KP -- mainly via threads and reviews here at Pentax Forums.
For me the issues were that the K-3 II is really a flagship camera and the KP is not, in terms of top-end features;
the K-3 II has dual card slots, built-in GPS and Autotracer, much better battery life, battery/charger/cable-release
that can be used with my K10D and forthcoming K-1 and with each other (two K-3 II cameras). The KP has
different batteries/chargers/cable releases), which I feel is a big mistake by Pentax. My K10D, D800, and iPhone
have built-in flash, so I just don't need that in every camera that I own because I do different things with different
cameras (K-3 II is for landscape, sky, flora/fauna, and astrophotography more than for portraits of people).
And not having yet owned a camera with an articulating/tilting screen, I don't have that "requirement" to alter
my choices yet, as I only vaguely know what I'm missing.

Knowing that I'm going full-frame with Pentax this next year (eagerly so with my fabulous photos taken with
my D800), I'm assuming that my two K-3 II bodies will be my last-ever APS-C cameras -- though I am looking
carefully and with great interest at the forthcoming K-3 III. If I get another APS-C camera, it'll surely be the K-3 III.
But at this point, I am more likely to go for a 645Z (my dream camera) than another APS-C camera.