Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2020, 05:27 PM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 9
Convert latest shot to RAW stopped working

This is one of my favorite Pentax exclusive features but unfortunately it suddenly stopped working on my KP. I'm not sure why. Double and triple checked the button settings to see if it is assigned to FX1. Tried assigning it to another button (FX3) to no avail. When playing the most recent shot, there is simply no option to convert and pressing said FX buttons does nothing. Am I doing something wrong?

11-07-2020, 05:56 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
ramseybuckeye's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Hampstead, NC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,950
I've never used this function, but looking at the manual I found that Fx3 RAW+ has to be showing in the display for it to work, so that will only work when still in the buffer, so if you do anything else before performing this operation, chances are it's gone. Maybe this wasn't the situation but it could explain it. I would suggest just shoot in RAW+ and you always have this, I've using this for a while and never run out of card space on my 128 card, or 64 card.
11-07-2020, 06:49 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 38,858
QuoteOriginally posted by typericey Quote
Am I doing something wrong?
The feature does not actually convert the JPEG to RAW, what it does is provide the option of saving the capture data as RAW rather than JPEG. Page 45 in the user guide indicates it has to be done from the image preview (immediately after the shot) while the capture data are still in the buffer. Once it writes a JPEG version to file the required RAW data are gone and all you have is JPEG. This is not something you can do on review from the playback mode.


Steve
11-07-2020, 06:58 PM   #4
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter
robgski's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 4,876
FWIW, the Topaz JPEG TO RAW conversion software is very good.

11-08-2020, 01:19 AM   #5
Pentaxian
Michail_P's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Kalymnos
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 976
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
FWIW, the Topaz JPEG TO RAW conversion software is very good.
How can this work? Where does the data come from? It’s a whole lot of data. Jpeg format does not store any. So how??
11-08-2020, 01:45 AM   #6
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2018
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,250
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
FWIW, the Topaz JPEG TO RAW conversion software is very good.
As you say, for what it’s worth. However, it won’t recover all the data discarded after the camera compressed it from raw - Photoshop will convert a jpg to 32-bit tiff too, but won’t give you any more data by doing so.
11-08-2020, 02:45 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2013
Location: Hertfordshire, England
Posts: 647
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The feature does not actually convert the JPEG to RAW, what it does is provide the option of saving the capture data as RAW rather than JPEG. Page 45 in the user guide indicates it has to be done from the image preview (immediately after the shot) while the capture data are still in the buffer. Once it writes a JPEG version to file the required RAW data are gone and all you have is JPEG. This is not something you can do on review from the playback mode.
Steve
Steve, in JPG format mode the camera saves the JPEG and gives the option of also saving the RAW data by immediately pressing FX3 (assuming the assigned button hasn't been changed). A press of that button overlays the following message over the just captured image on the preview screen: "Retrieves this JPG's RAW data from buffer memory and saves it as a separate RAW image file". So it is behaving like a JPEG+RAW option, in addition to the JPEG, RAW, and RAW+JPEG options available in Capture Menu 2.

Philip

Last edited by MrB1; 11-08-2020 at 03:02 AM.
11-08-2020, 10:09 AM   #8
New Member




Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: California
Posts: 5
It sounds like you have a limited amount of time to decide that you want to keep the raw format after all.

If space is the issue with not shooting raw or raw+, memory cards are very inexpensive these days (though the speed classes are confusing). It's probably easier to keep more info than you need and throw the rest away later when you decide you don't want it.

After looking at cards for a while I got a 256GB Samsung Evo Select for $30 (online people say the Evo Plus is the same card with different branding.) There is info about tested speeds for cards online. 256GB stores 4,800 raw files or so. A lot of the newer, faster cards like this will write data faster than I need for my uses. I also got a faster USB 3.2, uhs-ii reader for my computer for $10 so transfers happen faster.

The Topaz JPG to Raw that someone else mentioned above uses "AI" (machine learning). They can't restore original data that has been lost, but use some kind of interpolation and also guess at what missing data to fill in based on similar photos their machine learning has analyzed.

The results can be pretty good when you don't have the missing data. Their plugin for enlarging photos is especially interesting since it guesses data for what is missing and makes it sharper than a normal upscale/resample and often looks pretty good. But when you look closely, it may do weird stuff like making alien-looking characters for text on signs that was too small in the original photo.


Last edited by tealbadger; 11-08-2020 at 12:01 PM.
11-08-2020, 11:14 AM   #9
Junior Member




Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 31
I didnt even know there was such an option "Convert latest shot to RAW"
11-08-2020, 12:36 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 38,858
QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
Steve, in JPG format mode the camera saves the JPEG and gives the option of also saving the RAW data by immediately pressing FX3 (assuming the assigned button hasn't been changed). A press of that button overlays the following message over the just captured image on the preview screen: "Retrieves this JPG's RAW data from buffer memory and saves it as a separate RAW image file". So it is behaving like a JPEG+RAW option, in addition to the JPEG, RAW, and RAW+JPEG options available in Capture Menu 2.
Thanks for the full explanation. I don't see any contradiction. The feature works the same on my K-3 and I tested it before I posted.


Steve
11-08-2020, 12:44 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 38,858
QuoteOriginally posted by tealbadger Quote
It sounds like you have a limited amount of time to decide that you want to keep the raw format after all.
Yes and no. Whether it is enough time depends on how long preview is set to and whether one knows ahead of pressing the button whether they want the RAW. That is the advantage to RAW+ or simply shooting RAW. If there is any doubt on an ongoing basis during a shoot, better to save the capture as RAW. One can always do an in-camera bulk conversion to JPEG later if desired.

Correction: As explained by MrB1 below, the RAW data for last frame shot may stay in the buffer for some time and may be written to file when the "Save RAW Data" icon is visible in the review screen. My bad


Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 11-11-2020 at 01:58 PM.
11-09-2020, 12:21 AM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Jersey C.I.
Posts: 824
QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
FWIW, the Topaz JPEG TO RAW conversion software is very good.


FWIW, the supplied "Digital Camera Utility" will effectively provide this function as well


Check out this page, translated from the Japanese :
Google Translate


Click on the link :-
How to enjoy DCU5-like photos: Digital Camera

then on the link:- Redevelop JPEG images
11-10-2020, 11:47 PM   #13
Pentaxian
Michail_P's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Kalymnos
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 976
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yes and no. Whether it is enough time depends on how long preview is set to and whether one knows ahead of pressing the button whether they want the RAW. That is the advantage to RAW+ or simply shooting RAW. If there is any doubt on an ongoing basis during a shoot, better to save the capture as RAW. One can always do an in-camera bulk conversion to JPEG later if desired.


Steve
It’s the safest way. You can shoot raw+ and choose from the menu a jpeg quality of 2mp, so you can get away with the minimum memory “wasted”. The display time after the shot is also set at various sec, 10 by default. I think it goes to 30’’ if you need it.
11-11-2020, 01:38 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2013
Location: Hertfordshire, England
Posts: 647
When shooting JPEG only, the option to also save the raw data of the last image captured will be available for all the time until an action clears the buffer memory. This could be quite some time, during which the photographer can, for example, review previous images, review settings on the status screen or the info screen, set parameters for the next shot, etc. When returning to the review screen to display the last captured image, the save raw option will still be there. Some obvious actions which will clear the raw data for the last shot from the buffer memory, and therefore remove the save raw option, are:- taking another shot, auto power off, switching the camera off, or the battery running out of charge.

Philip
11-11-2020, 01:54 PM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 38,858
QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
When shooting JPEG only, the option to also save the raw data of the last image captured will be available for all the time until an action clears the buffer memory.
Yep...

QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
This could be quite some time, during which the photographer can, for example, review previous images, review settings on the status screen or the info screen, set parameters for the next shot, etc. When returning to the review screen to display the last captured image, the save raw option will still be there.
Thanks for the clarification here. I was badly mistaken above and will edit my comment; though I can place partial blame on the user guide and lack of clear, all-in-one-place, explanation of the feature. The key for whether it can be retrieved from the review screen (either instant or playback) is whether the "save raw data" icon is visible. When looking up the pages where it is mentioned, it is good to know the feature's proper name, "Save RAW Data" and that the footnotes are a must read.


Steve
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
button, kp, pentax kp, shot
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
645z Lightroom tether stopped working after newest LR Mac update Akrat Pentax Medium Format 3 02-16-2020 01:05 PM
BG 5 Stopped Working mwilky55 Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 2 11-02-2019 01:40 PM
Pentax IstDs: left side buttons stopped working heki Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 6 10-08-2019 11:18 AM
K100D Top LCD panel stopped working murphysf Repairs and Warranty Service 3 07-01-2019 10:48 PM
My camera just stopped working A guy with no plan Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 9 01-30-2019 09:55 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:11 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top