Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-09-2020, 06:26 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Question about KP in-camera sharpness setting

So I always (mostly) shoot in raw so I have not really explored jpeg settings until recently. I was attempting to adjust the sharpness settings and I noticed that no matter which ONE (sharpness, fine or extra) that I adjusted, all three settings moved the same amount. Is this normal? Or am I missing something? I tried searching the manual but didn't see much about it.

Thanks
Lew

11-09-2020, 06:29 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

sorry, riding on this query.

I use in camera processing, but have never figured out when or etc should i go with the Fine or Extra Sharpness.

And, what does Plus and Minus do on Extra Sharpness and Fine Sharpness.

I have read up (online) whatever i could find but really unable to grasp when and how to use those.

Appreciate if any member could explain it in really simpler terms.
11-11-2020, 08:12 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by termy Quote
sorry, riding on this query.

I use in camera processing, but have never figured out when or etc should i go with the Fine or Extra Sharpness.

And, what does Plus and Minus do on Extra Sharpness and Fine Sharpness.

I have read up (online) whatever i could find but really unable to grasp when and how to use those.

Appreciate if any member could explain it in really simpler terms.
So I did some in-camera trials with different settings by using one photo and applying the changes and creating a in-camera jpeg for each setting. From what I can tell, which ever slider you adjust as the "master" affects the other two. So if I adjust extra to -2 they will all say -2 but will look different than if I adjust with one of other sliders as the "master" to - 2.

I did -2, 0 and +2 at each level and then compared on the computer. I compared side by side and at normal/100% zoom. The differences were obvious.

I found that adjusting "extra" to -2 gave me the best jpeg out of camera. With less artifacts. This tends to align with a post on dp forums about jpeg settings. So my settings: Natural, -2 on extra, high iso noise off, auto highlight correction on.

I would suggest you give it a try. I posted one of the photos I processed in camera on my flickr page(crop externally). See link.

Weathered | Old Building in Princeton, North Carolina. Will ? | Flickr

Last edited by 7.62lew; 11-11-2020 at 11:12 AM.
11-11-2020, 03:54 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The KP is just one of many models having this type of adjustment, which goes back many years. I believe "Fine sharpening" is an added adjustment to the level of overall sharpening which is in the range of 0= normal,then from there you can reduce overall sharpening -1, -2 etc. or you can increase overall sharpening +1, +2, etc. In other words, you can increase or decrease overall sharpening without adding "Fine" or "Extra" sharpening. I just add "Fine" after first determining the overall level. The "Bright" category is already up by +1 by default for overall sharpening. Some test labs have recommended adding "Fine" to this setting for finer detail.

11-12-2020, 09:18 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

thanks a lot guys.

will try 'em out and see if could finally grasp something.
11-12-2020, 09:57 AM   #6
Pentaxian

A point to consider … these in-camera effects can usually be replicated using the supplied "Digital Camera Utility". The software uses the same terminology as the cameras, so it's easy to copy the settings from one to the other
I have trouble working with the small screen on the camera(s), so I prefer to do my adjustments on the computer, though an HDMI cable from the camera to an external monitor is a great help
11-12-2020, 10:23 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
This is good to know, I was also confused by these settings. So as I press the button to cycle through "sharpness" "fine sharpness" and "extra sharpness" those are actually separate settings, rather than just cycling through different types of sharpening, of which only the selected one is applied? Did I catch that right?

11-13-2020, 12:35 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
This is good to know, I was also confused by these settings. So as I press the button to cycle through "sharpness" "fine sharpness" and "extra sharpness" those are actually separate settings, rather than just cycling through different types of sharpening, of which only the selected one is applied? Did I catch that right?
I think you've got it. First there is the degree of sharpening, then there is the type. I'm not sure about "Extra" which implies a boost to the degree of sharpening, maybe like +1.5 or +2.5, etc while "Fine" is to address sensitivity to fine detail not just the sharpness of prominent edges.

Last edited by mikesbike; 11-13-2020 at 12:41 PM.
11-26-2020, 07:00 AM   #9
Forum Member

Never change any of the in camera settings. Photoshop is where I go to! Mind you, am I missing out on something?
11-26-2020, 04:09 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rodcy Quote
Never change any of the in camera settings. Photoshop is where I go to! Mind you, am I missing out on something?

If the in-camera settings are too far away from where you want to be, all the Photoshop in the world won't give you a perfect result, though working from RAW rather than JPG does give more flexibility.
Getting the camera to deliver what you want, first time, can save a lot of messing about in "post" … it can also save on the need to buy/rent/steal a third-party software package to try and correct what you got wrong in the first place
I use Photoshop for editing. It's an old version, came on CD, and still provides what I need.
However, for "post", getting the exposure and colour balance right … which, if necessary, comes before editing, I find the supplied Digital Camera Utility to be more than adequate. As it uses the same terminology as the camera(s) it's easy to see if there's a trend developing with a particular lens/body combination and the necessary corrections can then be applied in-camera at exposure time rather than having to fiddle about on the computer
11-27-2020, 05:29 AM   #11
Forum Member

Good points Kypfer but some of the settings such as sharpness have to be adapted to the subject and output for instance. I'd rather do this and other things in post where I can examine the RAW file in detail. I don't think you can ignore post processing if you want good results - a bit like dodging and burning in the darkroom - it just has to be done!