Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2020, 01:00 PM   #1

question from potential new KP owner

Hello everyone
I currently have a K5 and am very pleased with it. However, recently started thinking about upgrading and I am drawn to the KP. I like the idea of more pixels to play with, tilting screen, better AF & low-light performance, wi-fi connectivity. I wish the forthcoming K3 III had a tilting screen as I prefer the styling & layout of this but I want a tilt so will have to get used to KP layout.
I notice the KP does not have IR connection & you can use your phone over the wifi connection for remote release. My question is how long does it take from enabling wifi on the camera to the phone connecting & being usable? On the K5 it is a matter of seconds to switch to remote mode & use the IR remote. My worry is that it could take a long time for the connection to be usable, can anyone comment on how long this takes & using the remote app on your phone in general?

many thanks

12-02-2020, 01:14 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What takes the most time is connecting to the camera itself, and this can take anywhere from a few seconds for a device that you've used before, to much longer if there are technical issues. Even though there isn't much latency once you're connected, overall the process is not as quick as the IR remote of course- and unfortunately the wifi mode only supports single frame shooting, which is a notable limitation.

We do have an overview of the wireless functionality below (the app has been updated a bit since, but the core functions are unchanged):
Pentax K-S2 Review - Wi-Fi Features | PentaxForums.com Reviews

I would still get the KP, as you can get a wired release with the same functionality as the IR remote:

original: Pentax CS-310 Cable Switch 30239 B&H Photo Video

third-party: [cable release] - In case anyone was wondering about CS-310 working on K-S2 - PentaxForums.com

Finally, the wi-fi connection does give you a bit more flexibility in other areas. For example, it can be used with desktop programs, such as this one that I put together a couple of years ago, which essentially lets you simulate an intervalomater:
Introducing Pentax Wi-Fi & USB Tether by PentaxForums.com - PentaxForums.com
12-02-2020, 01:28 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for reply Adam, think I still have a wired remote from when I had a K10.
On the KP can you use the remote app to take a photo in bulb mode. On the K5 you can configure it to start with one press of remote & end with another press.
12-02-2020, 01:48 PM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by kinega Quote
On the KP can you use the remote app to take a photo in bulb mode. On the K5 you can configure it to start with one press of remote & end with another press.
The KP actually uses a different sized plug, so you'd need an adapter as noted in the "third party" link above. Otherwise yes, the two-press bulb functionality should work.

One other nice feature of the KP is timed shooting up to 20 minutes, which can be done with a single press. The limit on prior bodies was 30 seconds before needing to use manual bulb mode.

12-02-2020, 01:58 PM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a K5iis and a K1. I was out night shooting almost 2 years ago now with a friend who has a K70. The K70 was his first dslr moving up from a smartphone. He had read the manual 3 times and played around with the camera quite a bit. Anyway, we were out shooting and talking about something or other. We were shooting in "B"ulb mode (and astro was not enabled) and he dials in 3 minutes - I was jaw dropping astonished. Went over to my K1 and did the same thing. Wow, was I very pleasantly surprised.

Nothing about it in the K1 manual, but it's in the K70 manual. Must have been added to the K1 in a software update (I see it was Firmware update v1.40), which was very nice. I would suspect that it also is in the KP, too (page 49 in the table note 4 and on page 51 of the manual). The camera has a fully functioned built in intervalometer capability.The ability to go beyond 30 seconds in Bulb has been something that I have wanted for a long time. You can just dial it up to a 20 minute exposure. I've used it a lot at 3, 4, 5 and 6 minutes. It's just really really nice to have it automagically built in - just drop dead stupid simple and easy.

Also, yes you can set up the remote to trigger both the open and then the close. On or the wired remote, just slide the trigger button up and it will hold it down for you. There are lots of ways to make this work.

12-02-2020, 02:45 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thats even better setting a time in bulb mode, thanks for pointing that out,
12-02-2020, 03:12 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you only want the tilt screen sometimes, Adorama has the K-70 for $350 right now. I'd go that route, and then save up for the K3III as your main camera. You get a lot of camera for your money at that price.

12-02-2020, 04:47 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have the KP and before the KP I used the remote a lot. I started using the 2 or 12 second delay and got used to that quick enough to never try the phone as remote. I do have the wired remote and have used it once or twice. You will definitely like the improvements.
12-03-2020, 05:11 AM - 2 Likes   #9

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
What takes the most time is connecting to the camera itself, and this can take anywhere from a few seconds for a device that you've used before, to much longer if there are technical issues. Even though there isn't much latency once you're connected, overall the process is not as quick as the IR remote of course- and unfortunately the wifi mode only supports single frame shooting, which is a notable limitation.
Actually the Wifi mode does support continuous shooting in drive mode, but only at M & L speeds as well as another 11 drive mode options.

---------- Post added 12-03-20 at 05:23 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I have the KP and before the KP I used the remote a lot. I started using the 2 or 12 second delay and got used to that quick enough to never try the phone as remote. I do have the wired remote and have used it once or twice. You will definitely like the improvements.
One advantage the wifi has over the wired remote is you can trigger the camera from 10meters away.
12-04-2020, 07:09 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

KP shutter release ... Wired and Wireless options that work ! - PentaxForums.com
The above link might help

---------- Post added 12-04-20 at 19:11 ----------

Hello everyone
I currently have a K5 and am very pleased with it. However, recently started thinking about upgrading and I am drawn to the KP. I like the idea of more pixels to play with, tilting screen, better AF & low-light performance, wi-fi connectivity. I wish the forthcoming K3 III had a tilting screen as I prefer the styling & layout of this but I want a tilt so will have to get used to KP layout.
I notice the KP does not have IR connection & you can use your phone over the wifi connection for remote release. My question is how long does it take from enabling wifi on the camera to the phone connecting & being usable? On the K5 it is a matter of seconds to switch to remote mode & use the IR remote. My worry is that it could take a long time for the connection to be usable, can anyone comment on how long this takes & using the remote app on your phone in general?

many thanks
The above link might be of some interest...
12-05-2020, 02:08 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

I want a tilt so will have to get used to KP layout.
I hear you. During my getting about, no telling when I will want to use this feature, as has been the case. I've had my KP for over 2 years now and I am in love with it, of course after acclamation. My previous models being the K20D, K-5, and K-5 IIs. Actually, there was some getting used to the K-5 series after several years with the K20D. But I've had smaller DSLR models too as backup and for extra light carrying. Now the KP is more svelte of form than the K-5 series, but that can be advantageous especially with smaller lenses, and can be changed, expanded or contracted.

One feature the K20D has that turned up missing on the K-5 series, and probably the K-3 also, is the on-body bracketing button. But I've had so many different designs in cameras, going back to Pentax compact MF film bodies, the KP was no special challenge. The controls are quite unique and very useful upon becoming acquainted. There are tradeoffs, of course, like no top LCD, but the overall outcome has been very satisfying. I also miss having the optical DOF lever, but than the on-body bracketing control reappears with the KP via the 2nd+3rd-(adjust) top knob dials!

Last edited by mikesbike; 12-05-2020 at 02:24 PM.
12-07-2020, 07:39 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree with most of what's been said here - the KP is a great camera. The WiFi tethering works well and it's fairly easy to use the phone as a control. I'd recommend finding a way to store the WiFi credentials in your phone, as that helps speed things up. I also have a wired remote and, honestly, I use that more often than the wifi. I find for things like long exposure night shots, the excess light from looking at my phone detracts from my night vision. So the wired cable release can be really useful.

And as mikesbike said, the layout of the KP is pretty easy to get used to. I find it really user friendly and enjoy the customizability.