Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
12-06-2020, 07:30 PM - 1 Like   #16
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I have the extreme pro 128 also, u have the 2 new cards that should do you well. If things are tight why buy them now? I've had that same card in my camera over a year now.
I'm feeding two cameras....lol.
And that blasted Amazon credit on my account...it's making me my finger twitch all right....

12-06-2020, 07:55 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
I'm feeding two cameras....lol.
And that blasted Amazon credit on my account...it's making me my finger twitch all right....
Amazon makes it waaaay too easy.
12-06-2020, 11:11 PM - 1 Like   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
Bingo ! I immediately read the fine print about using the special card adapter on U3 cards.
I'm just sticking with the Ultra for now. The latest version is 64GB with 120MB/s....the ones I just got are only 100MB/s.
That's still a far cry better than the 16GB /48 MB/s on my old cards.
I have no idea what the write speed is. I'm going to guess it's somewhere about 20-30 ?
And it would also help if I knew the maximum write speed of the Pentax KP?
According to the Pentax Forums review of the KP:
"Our framerate test was conduced with a U3-rated Sandisk Extreme Pro SD card (95Mb/s read and 90Mb/s write). This card delivers optimal performance with the KP, as it delivers the fastest speed that the UHS-I standard supports. The KP does not support faster speeds offered by the newer UHS-II bus, but can of course be used with such cards since they are backwards-compatible.
"We measured the actual average write speed of the KP to be around 27 Mb/s. This is somewhat slower than what we found with the K-3 II, but around the same speed as the K-1."
12-07-2020, 07:34 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by Ausable Quote
According to the Pentax Forums review of the KP:
"Our framerate test was conduced with a U3-rated Sandisk Extreme Pro SD card (95Mb/s read and 90Mb/s write). This card delivers optimal performance with the KP, as it delivers the fastest speed that the UHS-I standard supports. The KP does not support faster speeds offered by the newer UHS-II bus, but can of course be used with such cards since they are backwards-compatible.
"We measured the actual average write speed of the KP to be around 27 Mb/s. This is somewhat slower than what we found with the K-3 II, but around the same speed as the K-1."
So with this in mind would it be safe to assume any SanDisk card rated V30 (minimum sustained write speed of 30 Mb/s) should be sufficient in the KP? If that's the case, this criteria should make it easy for the OP to choose appropriate cards.

12-07-2020, 08:48 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The one (Ultima) in the camera is rated 45Mb/s. Works just fine.
Usually I go with Kingston, Samsung or Sandisk (in alphabethical order). None of these brands have failed me.
The Samsung in my security camera with overlapping recording has worked for 8 years.

Seb
12-07-2020, 09:34 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bassek Quote
The one (Ultima) in the camera is rated 45Mb/s. Works just fine.
Usually I go with Kingston, Samsung or Sandisk (in alphabethical order). None of these brands have failed me.
The Samsung in my security camera with overlapping recording has worked for 8 years.

Seb
That's what I'm thinking. The camera tests at 27MB/s in one report and elsewhere is rated at 45MB/s.
The newest Ultra cards like the ones I have are showing somewhere between 27-45MB/s on write speed.
Using my crude math skills and simple reasoning I would say that at a minimum there is no speed bottleneck here
12-07-2020, 09:35 AM - 1 Like   #22
dlhawes

I've settled on this one:
SanDisk 64GB Extreme UHS-I SDXC Memory Card

And it's on sale right now. But, to benefit this website, click on the BHPhoto link on the home page before you click on the link above, so your "cookie" will reflect the source of the contact before you order, and PM the administrator with the order number, date, and amount for verification.

I find 64G is more than adequate, but then I have a habit of dumping the pictures to the computer right promptly. Also works well in the JPEG slot of a K-1, for those who separate raw and JPEG between the two slots. I use the 128G card for raw data.

I'd tried some of those really expensive ones that have two rows of contacts, but you don't get any advantage out of those because the KP doesn't understand about the second row of contacts. They are backwards compatible, however, and work fine, it's just that I paid too much money for too little benefit.

12-07-2020, 09:38 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eric3929 Quote
So with this in mind would it be safe to assume any SanDisk card rated V30 (minimum sustained write speed of 30 Mb/s) should be sufficient in the KP? If that's the case, this criteria should make it easy for the OP to choose appropriate cards.
Out of curiosity I decided to semi self educate myself on the latest ratings on cards and adequacy for the Pentax KP.
Sure I could have went and just bought for SanDisk Extreme Pro 64GB cards but then I would have understood exactly zero of why I bought them.
In the process of trying to learn what is adequate and what is overkill I managed to save myself about $26+.
I'm quite sure down the road the SanDisk Extreme Pro 64 gig cards are going to go on a very nice sale price and I'll grab at least two of them and get that warm fuzzy feeling that now I have ultimately the best for my KP and Olympus OMD em10 Il.
For now however I have accomplished my objective and that was to update my four old 16 and 32GB cards.
That goal is accomplished and I have settled on the more recent SanDisk Ultra 64 gig cards that are much faster than the original.
Two of my cards I got on Black Friday sale and I paid $8.95 each.The most recent two that I ordered a week later Amazon matched that price even though they were advertised at over $12.
The new 64GB extreme Pro cards are running at about what ? $15-$20 a piece?

Last edited by Ronald Oakes; 12-07-2020 at 09:53 AM.
12-07-2020, 02:46 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
$20 seems to be average, I’ve seen them at 15, but usually no quantity.

Hang up and DRIVE!