Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2020, 09:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Choosing a proper SanDisk SD Card for the KP

I'm having some confusion while updating my SD cards for the Pentax KP and also and Olympus OMD em10 II.
I would like to stick with the SanDisk SD cards and have a choice from the 32GB ..or .. 64GB... Ultra , Extreme , or Extreme Pro cards.
Neither camera is 4K capable , and I shoot very little HD video except for short clips less than 5 minutes and then only rarely.
On a very heavy use day I'm no more than 500 images in jpg. I have also started shooting more in Raw.
I want to make sure that I maintain the capacity needed for whatever card I choose based on that parameter.
Although sometimes I shoot small bursts rarely do I ever fill the buffer.
Would a U3 , V30 card be of any benefit to me ?
Initially I was going to get a 64GB extreme Pro but now I think that may be Overkill and have a feeling the 32 gig Ultra will be just fine?
This is why I'm here to ask my Pentax Brothers what's an adequate Choice without underkill or Overkill....Thanks

Last edited by Ronald Oakes; 12-06-2020 at 09:21 AM.
12-06-2020, 09:31 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Choosing a proper SanDisk SD Card for the KP

I’ve got both a 64 and a 32 for my KP.
I shoot similar without video. I chose the 64 for “extra” room. I rarely NEED it, 32 is fine. I only shoot RAW though. I will add, get the better quality card for safety.

Hang up and DRIVE!
12-06-2020, 09:37 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have this one on my Christmas list this year.
amazon.com: SanDisk 64GB Extreme PRO SDXC UHS-I Card - C10, U3, V30, 4K UHD, SD Card - SDSDXXY-064G-GN4IN: Electronics?tag=pentaxforums-20&

Also some recommendations in this thread:
Selecting an SD card for a Pentax K50 - PentaxForums.com

Happy shooting!
12-06-2020, 09:46 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I have the SanDisk extreme pro 128 GB in mine, mainly as they were not too expensive. I wouldn't normally get anywhere near filling one of these, however I felt that should I go on a long trip where I wouldn't be dumping files to the PC regularly (like I usually do), then the extra space would be better. I keep an older 32GB (45Mb/s) card as a backup in the unlikely event that I do run out of space.

12-06-2020, 09:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Riggomatic Quote
I have two brand new 64GB Ultras still in the package from Amazon I got on sale for $ 8.99 each.
I would like to order two more cards at a bare minimum but have entertained the idea of at least going to the Extreme card which is only $12 a piece. Right now things are tight and I can't afford to waste $20 spread across my cards when I could save it and apply it towards something else I need.

Last edited by Ronald Oakes; 12-06-2020 at 09:59 AM.
12-06-2020, 11:24 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have standardized on SanDisk ExtremePro at the fastest speed commonly available. Over time size has gone from 8 to 16 to 32 to 64. All of the 8gb cards are semi retired and in use for other things. The 16gb are in the K-3 and the 64gb in the K-1 with the 32gb ones as spares.

Do I need the ExtremePro cards? Most likely not but I work on the assumption that they are SanDisk's best and tested to a higher speed and standard. Which over time means a higher reliability. Is that correct? I have no idea, it is just my theory.

By carefully watching for sales I have gotten all of my cards at good discounted prices so I feel I have not over paid. There are cheaper cards but as some of my work is for commercial clients I cannot risk a card failure after a job.
12-06-2020, 12:04 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm kind of leaning towards the 64GB Ultra cards as I already have two and buying two more would keep things uniform.
I'm failing to see how the Xtreme Pro or even the Xtreme cards would benefit my camera or my shooting style when the KP doesn't have 4K video and a small buffer to start with . The latest edition should be plenty fast enough for small bursts and 1080p HD video.
I hope I'm not missing something here in my quick crash course on SD cards.

12-06-2020, 12:08 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

I try to buy the most cost-efficient size at the moment, which when I was buying cards a few years ago was 32gb, and now seems to be 128gb. The 128s go a long way in my 16mp cameras. Ironically the only cards I've had problems with have been Sandisk, although they did honor the warranty for both cards I sent them. In both cases the issue was seemingly stress fractures of the cases. I used mostly Sandisk cards, so it would be logical that those would be the ones that failed. Now I use mid-range (usually Ultra) Sandisk and also Samsung cards, whichever are less expensive.

Also I've switched to the (unapproved, of course) micro cards, so if the card adapters physically fail as my Sandisk cards did, then the cards themselves will still be intact and the data can be retrieved. If you copy files off the camera vs. by removing the card, there is probably no concern as there's much less stress on the cards.
12-06-2020, 12:22 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ronald Oakes Quote
I'm failing to see how the Xtreme Pro or even the Xtreme cards would benefit my camera or my shooting style when the KP doesn't have 4K video and a small buffer to start with . The latest edition should be plenty fast enough for small bursts and 1080p HD video.
I don't think you are missing anything at all. The Ultra should be fine. For me the very small difference in cost between the Ultra and the ExtremePro is immaterial so I go with the supposedly 'better' ones. Are they really any better? who knows? Maybe nothing more than different packaging or higher standard at testing. It makes me feel better so it is worth it to me. If you already have Ultra cards I think I would go with that so they are all the same.
12-06-2020, 12:35 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I don't think you are missing anything at all. The Ultra should be fine. For me the very small difference in cost between the Ultra and the ExtremePro is immaterial so I go with the supposedly 'better' ones. Are they really any better? who knows? Maybe nothing more than different packaging or higher standard at testing. It makes me feel better so it is worth it to me. If you already have Ultra cards I think I would go with that so they are all the same.

Word........

Hang up and DRIVE!
12-06-2020, 02:04 PM - 1 Like   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Do I need the ExtremePro cards? Most likely not but I work on the assumption that they are SanDisk's best and tested to a higher speed and standard. Which over time means a higher reliability. Is that correct? I have no idea, it is just my theory.
This is my theory as well. I too have standardized on the ExtremePro and given the recent pricing, had no trouble justifying an upgrade to 64GB several months ago for my K-3. Price-wise the purchase was relatively painless, even for the higher standard card. The two cards allow storage of ~2300 DNG files, more than enough for my purposes, given that I only store images on the cards until they can properly be moved to the computer. If I go on an extended trip, the previous two 32GB cards are in the bag.

Steve
12-06-2020, 04:56 PM   #12

Here's a quick comparison:

Know Your SD Cards: SanDisk Ultra vs. Extreme vs. Extreme Pro - 3D Insider

With my old K20D, I did see minor improvement using Extreme Pro cards over the Ultra but only with long bursts. On paper, both were faster than the camera but there was a slight difference. Both Ultra and Extreme Pro have better specs now so you shouldn't see any difference.

The Extreme line used to stand out for it's extreme temperature range and ruggedness but the article above indicates the Ultra fills that role as well. Most cards are fairly rugged so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Besides, the camera is weatherproof so it will protect the card.

The biggest difference you'll see is if you have a U3 card reader so the images will transfer to you computer in half the time with the Extreme cards. Personally, I started with the Extreme cards when they stood out and I still buy them. My first one was 1GB and cost over $100. Habits are hard to change and I'll save a minute or two of transfer time after shooting a couple ballgames (burst shooting).

Also, if my next camera is faster, the Extreme line might be a benefit. Already have 2 x 64GB (JPG) and 2 x 128GB (RAW) for the K3-ii so I'd prefer to keep those with a new camera. Well, I'll probably get new primary cards for the new camera regardless but save buying spare cards. Future proofing... LOL
12-06-2020, 06:30 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jspi Quote
Here's a quick comparison:

Know Your SD Cards: SanDisk Ultra vs. Extreme vs. Extreme Pro - 3D Insider

With my old K20D, I did see minor improvement using Extreme Pro cards over the Ultra but only with long bursts. On paper, both were faster than the camera but there was a slight difference. Both Ultra and Extreme Pro have better specs now so you shouldn't see any difference.

The Extreme line used to stand out for it's extreme temperature range and ruggedness but the article above indicates the Ultra fills that role as well. Most cards are fairly rugged so I wouldn't worry too much about it. Besides, the camera is weatherproof so it will protect the card.

The biggest difference you'll see is if you have a U3 card reader so the images will transfer to you computer in half the time with the Extreme cards. Personally, I started with the Extreme cards when they stood out and I still buy them. My first one was 1GB and cost over $100. Habits are hard to change and I'll save a minute or two of transfer time after shooting a couple ballgames (burst shooting).

Also, if my next camera is faster, the Extreme line might be a benefit. Already have 2 x 64GB (JPG) and 2 x 128GB (RAW) for the K3-ii so I'd prefer to keep those with a new camera. Well, I'll probably get new primary cards for the new camera regardless but save buying spare cards. Future proofing... LOL
Bingo ! I immediately read the fine print about using the special card adapter on U3 cards.
I'm just sticking with the Ultra for now. The latest version is 64GB with 120MB/s....the ones I just got are only 100MB/s.
That's still a far cry better than the 16GB /48 MB/s on my old cards.
I have no idea what the write speed is. I'm going to guess it's somewhere about 20-30 ?
And it would also help if I knew the maximum write speed of the Pentax KP?

Last edited by Ronald Oakes; 12-06-2020 at 06:46 PM.
12-06-2020, 06:39 PM   #14

Bingo ! I immediately read the fine print about using the special card adapter on U3 cards.
I'm just sticking with the Ultra for now. The latest version is 64GB with 120MB/s....the ones I just got are only 100MB/s.
That's still a far cry better than the 16GB /48 MB/s on my old cards.
I have no idea what the write speed is. I'm going to guess it's somewhere about 30 ?
You don't need a special card reader for those cards, they will work in any SD Card reader. But you'll only get the marketed speeds with the right adapter. The K20D wasn't UHS-1 but worked fine with the UHS-1 cards, it just worked slower than the card's capacity.

A little clarification here. UHS is a physical connector. It has the standard SD Card contacts but adds a few more for added performance. U3 is a speed rating. Going from memory, U3 requires a UHS card because a regular card can't transfer fast enough. But not all UHS cards are fast enough to be classified as U3.
12-06-2020, 06:46 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevejo Quote
I have the SanDisk extreme pro 128 GB in mine, mainly as they were not too expensive. I wouldn't normally get anywhere near filling one of these, however I felt that should I go on a long trip where I wouldn't be dumping files to the PC regularly (like I usually do), then the extra space would be better. I keep an older 32GB (45Mb/s) card as a backup in the unlikely event that I do run out of space.
I have the extreme pro 128 also, I bought it last year before a trip to London to avoid using a bunch of cards, I shoot Raw+ and never came close to filling it. It was a great price and the best deal when I got it.

I have two brand new 64GB Ultras still in the package from Amazon I got on sale for $ 8.99 each.
I would like to order two more cards at a bare minimum but have entertained the idea of at least going to the Extreme card which is only $12 a piece. Right now things are tight and I can't afford to waste $20 spread across my cards when I could save it and apply it towards something else I need.
You have the 2 new cards that should do you well. If things are tight why buy them now? I've had that same card in my camera over a year now.