Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-07-2020, 01:12 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
KP settings for portraiture

I have had my KP for several months now, but have never used any of its features specifically designed for portraits. One of my wife's best friends will soon be moving to another state, and my wife wants a 'nice' picture of the two of them before she goes. I thought great, an opportunity to use the KP's portrait features.

So..., we've got Portrait custom image mode, and skin tone correction types 1 and 2. I assume you would not use skin tone correction in combination with Portrait custom image mode, but maybe I'm wrong. Type 1 correction affects colors - so does Portrait custom. Type 2 affects skin texture. Both ladies are in their 60s, so maybe type 2 is good for minimizing wrinkles? Maybe use Portrait custom for color adjustment with type 2 correction for wrinkle adjustment? Or Natural custom mode with type 1 skin tone correction?

Lighting will be either outdoor (weather permitting) and/or indoor using flash bounced off a white card or the ceiling.

Suggestions for setting white balance? Outdoor could be Auto, Sun, or Shade. Indoor could be Auto or Flash.

I was thinking about doing a 14MP capture with an eye toward printing at 5 x 7. Jpeg only; RAW not in the discussion for various reasons.

My wife isn't expecting pro results, but I would like to do the best I can with limited resources. Any thoughts, tips, or comments from y'all would be appreciated.

12-07-2020, 03:57 PM - 1 Like   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by Apet-Sure Quote
I have had my KP for several months now, but have never used any of its features specifically designed for portraits. One of my wife's best friends will soon be moving to another state, and my wife wants a 'nice' picture of the two of them before she goes. I thought great, an opportunity to use the KP's portrait features.

So..., we've got Portrait custom image mode, and skin tone correction types 1 and 2. I assume you would not use skin tone correction in combination with Portrait custom image mode, but maybe I'm wrong. Type 1 correction affects colors - so does Portrait custom. Type 2 affects skin texture. Both ladies are in their 60s, so maybe type 2 is good for minimizing wrinkles? Maybe use Portrait custom for color adjustment with type 2 correction for wrinkle adjustment? Or Natural custom mode with type 1 skin tone correction?

Lighting will be either outdoor (weather permitting) and/or indoor using flash bounced off a white card or the ceiling.

Suggestions for setting white balance? Outdoor could be Auto, Sun, or Shade. Indoor could be Auto or Flash.

I was thinking about doing a 14MP capture with an eye toward printing at 5 x 7. Jpeg only; RAW not in the discussion for various reasons.

My wife isn't expecting pro results, but I would like to do the best I can with limited resources. Any thoughts, tips, or comments from y'all would be appreciated.
I'd use Auto white balance, Portrait custom image mode, and Skin Tone Type 2. If they have patience, you could change Skin Tone to Type 1. You could try the various settings and lighting situations ahead of time using your wife as a model.
12-07-2020, 05:19 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I really don't do portraits much, but I did some outdoor shots yesterday of my daughter and her husband, and their two dogs for their Christmas card. I used multi auto white balance which I use for everything, and it seemed to do really well. I did not use a skin tone setting (it was off) and I was shooting in Bright custom image. I shot them with the sun behind (coming through trees) them to avoid shadows and also used a YN560 flash mounted on the KP to add some fill light to the front. I don't feel like I really know what I'm doing when using a flash, I just don't use it enough, but I feel I got pretty lucky on this, my daughter was happy with the photos. I wasn't smart enough to use the portrait custom image, not much planning since I was asked to shoot them a couple of hours before when she wanted them

Looking at the custom images on the Ricoh website the portrait custom image looks like a good way to go. I was also looking in the manual of the skins tones and I wonder if Type 1 works with multiple people, I would guess that is is going to do a subtle color change to the whole image unless it is way smarter than I would expect. Then how would that work with very different complexions? Type 2 just softens the image, which I guess is like using a soft focus lens. Anyway I think you are right to not use them when using the custom image, because it increases a little magenta and green.

One more thing Kevin, don't let your wife see that mention of wrinkles! LOL
12-08-2020, 01:19 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ausable Quote
You could try the various settings and lighting situations ahead of time using your wife as a model.
I thought of that; good suggestion. Her friend's visit to our house was supposed to be tomorrow. Now it's been postponed a few days. Gives me time to experiment.

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I used multi auto white balance which I use for everything, and it seemed to do really well.
I've had the camera set to this for a couple weeks now, based on recommendations here on PF. Haven't done a lot of shooting with it. When I first got the KP I felt like normal AWB was better than on my K-5IIs. Haven't used MAWB enough to have an opinion yet, but I'll accept your and others opinions.

I was also looking in the manual of the skins tones and I wonder if Type 1 works with multiple people, I would guess that is is going to do a subtle color change to the whole image unless it is way smarter than I would expect.
According to Yvon Borque's KP e-book, 'This function [types 1 & 2] automatically locates the subject’s face and detects it’s skin area'. Multiple faces may be problematic as you say. The examples on Ricoh's site of the Portrait custom mode look quite good compared to Bright.

don't let your wife see that mention of wrinkles!

Er, well, umm, what I meant is that her friend might be slightly wrinkly.

I think I'll start with MAWB and Portrait custom mode, with and without type 2 correction, and experiment from there. My wife will be patient as she has been for the last 42 years with my photography.

Last edited by Apet-Sure; 12-08-2020 at 01:26 PM. Reason: typos