Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-09-2020, 06:07 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Does the KP have an GPS unit built in?

Hi,
I have been wondering, wether the KP has the possibility of astrotracer without being couppled with the GPS unit. I tried to find out, but I found no clear info.
Thanks

12-09-2020, 06:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

No, gps is not included. You will need the O-GPS1 for astro tracer.
12-09-2020, 08:22 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bertrand3000 Quote
No, gps is not included. You will need the O-GPS1 for astro tracer.

Ditto

Hang up and DRIVE!
12-09-2020, 08:33 AM   #4

If you are curious about authoritative sources to verify the good information provided above, either download a copy of the operating manual and read page 121, or see the bottom of the specification table in the Pentax Forums' review of the KP (Pentax KP Review - Specifications | PentaxForums.com Reviews).

12-09-2020, 08:45 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's a serious disadvantage for some of us.

I'm still hoping the K-3_3.1 has the tilting back screen and GPS.
12-09-2020, 09:31 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have one new in the box purchased earlier this year from adorama. My summer trip that i was going to use on it was canceled.

PM me if your interested in buying.
12-09-2020, 10:25 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
That's a serious disadvantage for some of us.

I'm still hoping the K-3_3.1 has the tilting back screen and GPS.
For the KP to remain “compact”I suspect it was a question of which to leave out,the GPS or the flash?

Call me an old cynic, but I suspect relative cost of the two elements had some bearing on which got the chop!

12-09-2020, 11:07 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by timb64 Quote
For the KP to remain “compact”I suspect it was a question of which to leave out,the GPS or the flash?

Call me an old cynic, but I suspect relative cost of the two elements had some bearing on which got the chop!

You old cynic

Seriously though, the mechanics of the flash unit probably make it's fitting quite an expensive option. The electronics of the GPS unit is probably very similar to that used in many modern 'phones etc. and probably costs very little.

afterthought :- that's a lot of "probably's" .. sorry!
12-09-2020, 11:33 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ShutterPro Quote
I tried to find out, but I found no clear info.
The camera comparison feature of this site is pretty good for that purpose as is the official specification in both the user guide and on the Ricoh/Pentax Web site.

If a feature is not listed, that is a pretty good clue it is not there and for the KP, that is the case. At present only one Pentax dSLR model features GPS as a built-in feature, that being the K-1ii. In the past, the only other model was the K-3II. That said, the specifications do mention GPS in a couple of places, hence a source of possible confusion. Those features are only supported when the camera is coupled with the accessory O-GPS1/Astrotracer unit.

Sorry

Steve
12-09-2020, 02:37 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've not seen a camera model that has this feature and also a built-in flash. I shoot with the KP and am glad for the flash being there for on-demand fill, etc. which I would definitely use more than GPS, which would probably be never.
12-09-2020, 02:50 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I also regret the absence of GPS on the KP, especially since O-GPS1 was really costly, and besides, it looks like it is discontinued. Yet, astrotracer is one key feature of Pentax bodies, even the lowest one, which is a high plus compared to other brands, but this ability is spoiled by the absence of GPS module itself, whereas each and every phone comes with one build-in.
12-10-2020, 01:30 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Some smartwatches without GPS connect to your phone for location.
Why didn't they think of this for the KP?
12-10-2020, 01:48 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bassek Quote
Some smartwatches without GPS connect to your phone for location.
Why didn't they think of this for the KP?
That would be good for geo-tagging shots, but when it comes for astrotracer, I suppose the exact camera orientation needs to be known for it to work correctly. Still, it could have been included (and not at the expense of the flash!).
12-10-2020, 02:00 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bertrand3000 Quote
I also regret the absence of GPS on the KP, especially since O-GPS1 was really costly, and besides, it looks like it is discontinued. Yet, astrotracer is one key feature of Pentax bodies, even the lowest one, which is a high plus compared to other brands, but this ability is spoiled by the absence of GPS module itself, whereas each and every phone comes with one build-in.
Why do you think it is discontinued? Even Ricoh wouldn't discontinue an item that their newest yet to be released camera needs for Astrotracer.

12-10-2020, 02:18 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If the orientation of your smartphone can be matched with that of the camera body, does that not imply Astrotracer might be usable in the K-3iii, using the phone’s systems?