Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
01-08-2021, 12:58 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AnotherVoice Quote
Having trouble getting the Pluto Trigger to "talk" to the KP. App on iPhone talks to the trigger. The trigger light "flashes" to indicate the trigger saw the iPhone signal. The rear display on the KP blinks when triggered. BUT... The shutter will not release. Anybody have any suggestions? BTW, I dug out my old K-5IIs. It works fine. This means to me that there is an interaction/setting issue.

Not having Pluto Trigger ... so I am just curious. What brings you this trigger when using KP. With K-5II I understand it, but KP does have wifi and many advanced trigger options included.

01-09-2021, 06:58 AM - 1 Like   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeKay Quote
Have you tried this?
On the KP go to the Setup Menu (Spanner) Page 3 and switch “External Input Devices” from “Auto” to “Cable Release Selected”
It could be that the auto setting isn’t picking it up Pluto correctly.
I tried this and it works - after a fashion. While I was able to make the shutter fire, the mode Im supposed to be in is "Bulb" and it fires at the shutter speed set in the camera, not the shutter speed set by Pluto. Any ideas/suggestions?

---------- Post added 01-09-21 at 07:06 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by cport Quote
Not having Pluto Trigger ... so I am just curious. What brings you this trigger when using KP. With K-5II I understand it, but KP does have wifi and many advanced trigger options included.
I bought the Pluto specifically for one job, night photography of lightning. It has an optical sensor that will trigger the shutter if it detects a flash of light.

It turns out to have many capabilities. It has an audio sensor (speech triggered), and comes with a laser so you can set it to fire if something breaks the beam. It can also be set to trigger every morning when ambient light conditions hit the same intensity, so seasonal changes in the time of sunrise don't effect your time-lapse photos. Other stuff like with a "Pluto valve" it will trigger so you can catch the splash of droplets. Overall, a very cool little doodad for less than $125. Valve is about $40.
01-09-2021, 10:29 AM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I tried this and it works - after a fashion. While I was able to make the shutter fire, the mode Im supposed to be in is "Bulb" and it fires at the shutter speed set in the camera, not the shutter speed set by Pluto. Any ideas/suggestions?
I suggest putting the camera in "B" mode, untimed. Depending on how Pluto manages "B", you may have to set your KP to "type 2" behavior (one press to open with a second to close) rather than "type 1" (one press held with release to close).

menu --> C1 --> 7. Bulb (B) Mode Options

Steve
01-09-2021, 01:42 PM   #19
Pentaxian

---------- Post added 01-09-21 at 07:06 AM ----------

I bought the Pluto specifically for one job, night photography of lightning. It has an optical sensor that will trigger the shutter if it detects a flash of light.

It turns out to have many capabilities. It has an audio sensor (speech triggered), and comes with a laser so you can set it to fire if something breaks the beam. It can also be set to trigger every morning when ambient light conditions hit the same intensity, so seasonal changes in the time of sunrise don't effect your time-lapse photos. Other stuff like with a "Pluto valve" it will trigger so you can catch the splash of droplets. Overall, a very cool little doodad for less than $125. Valve is about $40.
Thanks for the remarks - now it makes sense

01-09-2021, 06:31 PM   #20

Pluto Trigger Cables

According to Pluto Triggers, the cables are made by JJC. The JJC triggers work great with my KP. Also, when the Pluto Trigger is fired, all segments on the camera side of the plug are supposed to be shorted together. However, when I tested the P1 and L1 cables, this is not happening. In addition, at no time did the pins ever go completely short. Even when I found some segments that shorted, there was still at least 40 ohms resistance between segments. I have let Pluto know my findings and now waiting for them to respond.
01-09-2021, 07:26 PM - 1 Like   #21
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I suggest putting the camera in "B" mode, untimed. Depending on how Pluto manages "B", you may have to set your KP to "type 2" behavior (one press to open with a second to close) rather than "type 1" (one press held with release to close).

menu --> C1 --> 7. Bulb (B) Mode Options

Steve
Stevebrot! Your suggestions were right on. It was my buffoonery. 1) Bulb mode 1 was necessary. 2) I used the timed mode (using Green button to display "Bulb" vs. 10" or more. This was the final piece. I normally use back-button autofocus and I must have fat-fingered the Green button by mistake.

Thanks everyone for all the help! You're great!

AnotherVoice
01-09-2021, 08:39 PM - 1 Like   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You're great!
Thank you! We try!

Steve

01-11-2021, 08:07 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Stevebrot! Your suggestions were right on. It was my buffoonery. 1) Bulb mode 1 was necessary. 2) I used the timed mode (using Green button to display "Bulb" vs. 10" or more. This was the final piece. I normally use back-button autofocus and I must have fat-fingered the Green button by mistake.

Thanks everyone for all the help! You're great!

AnotherVoice

Heya! I subscribed to this thread because I too have the Pluto Trigger! I just don't remember what body I bought the cable for! Could you post a picture of your P1? I want to use it with my new KP

Thanks in advance!
01-11-2021, 08:16 PM - 1 Like   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by cport Quote
I actually bought the Pluto Trigger for its ability to capture lightning. But I am also interested in its ability to use the laser trigger and ability to add other sensors. Many of my ideas can be completed with separate units but it appeared to be all built into the Pluto and the phone app.
01-12-2021, 06:48 PM - 1 Like   #25
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oktyabr Quote
Heya! I subscribed to this thread because I too have the Pluto Trigger! I just don't remember what body I bought the cable for! Could you post a picture of your P1? I want to use it with my new KP

Thanks in advance!
I tried, but this web site isn't friendly to a person who doesn't spend much time uploading images. Anyone else capable of easily doing this?

Last edited by AnotherVoice; 01-12-2021 at 07:02 PM.
01-12-2021, 08:51 PM - 1 Like   #26

I tried, but this web site isn't friendly to a person who doesn't spend much time uploading images. Anyone else capable of easily doing this?
The P-1 has the plug that goes into the Pluto on one end and a fatter version of the same plug that goes into the KP.

---------- Post added 01-12-21 at 10:54 PM ----------

The L1 cable has a four-segment plug that goes into the KP.

This is the same cable that JJC uses for their remotes that work with my KP.
01-20-2021, 02:43 PM   #27

Fix for Pluto Trigger on the Pentax KP

Dekay you found the fix for using the Pluto Trigger with my KP. Thank you

On the KP go to the Setup Menu (Spanner) Page 3 and switch “External Input Devices” from “Auto” to “Cable Release Selected”

Read more at: KP and Pluto Trigger? - PentaxForums.com