Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2020, 02:05 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Problem with battery grip & KP

I have a question for those using a battery grip with their Pentax’s. I recently purchased a battery grip for my KP. When setting up the grip settings I have a choice of “auto selection” which is the default, or choosing to have either the grip battery used first or the one in the camera first. I chose to have it use the battery in the grip first, then the camera battery last. I was thinking the camera’s battery meter would display the charge capacity of the battery being used (grip’s battery) and then have the ability to install a fresh battery before it started using the battery in the camera. My reason was because the grip has to be removed first to swap the camera’s battery and unless needed I could avoid that.

Starting with two fully charged batteries what I found out was that when the camera meter indicated the battery capacity was getting low it was reading the battery in the camera only. I found the one in the grip was completely discharged before it switched to the camera’s battery. I removed the grip and confirmed the grip battery was completely dead while the battery left in the camera was less than half charged as the meter had indicated.

Is this normal, and would it be better to set up the grip settings to the default “auto select?” Up this time I had not totally used up the battery in the grip before re-charging it.
What is other’s experience using the battery grip?
My understanding is that it is not good to allow the battery to run completely dead. I am going to test the grip in the “auto select” mode and see if the camera’s battery meter will show the over all charge left in the two batteries.

12-28-2020, 02:58 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I do the same on my K20 and K3 - when the battery level is showing less than 100%, removing the grip battery and using the camera battery alone does show 100% as you would expect. I always carry spares, and have never (yet !) totally depleted a battery, preferring to replace it once the indicator shows under 50%. I do, however, alternate the battery in the camera body monthly, replacing it with a fully-charged one, when I do the usual monthly 'housekeeping' regime (charging all batteries, cleaning contacts, sensor dust removal etc).

Is yours a Pentax grip or another mfr ? My K20 one is Pentax, but the one on my K3 is by Neewer - I have heard of issues with this make, but not noticed any myself. Have you tried removing the battery from the camera body, and just using the one in the grip ? Is there a possibility that something is draining the one in the grip ?
12-28-2020, 03:33 PM   #3
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wingincamera Quote
Is this normal, and would it be better to set up the grip settings to the default “auto select?” Up this time I had not totally used up the battery in the grip before re-charging it.
What is other’s experience using the battery grip?.
I have my KP set to use the grip battery first. The behavior you describe is normal.
12-28-2020, 03:44 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Grip battery first with my K-3 II (and also previous K-5 II).

12-28-2020, 05:41 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
This is the standard Pentax D-BG7 battery grip. It's good to know this behavior is normal. I will still experiment using the "auto select" to see if both batteries are depleted the same amount when using. Hopefully that will mean the camera's battery meter will indicate the amount of charge for both batteries. I have four Pentax brand batteries that I use.
12-28-2020, 07:43 PM   #6
Forum Member

This is the standard Pentax D-BG7 battery grip. It's good to know this behavior is normal. I will still experiment using the "auto select" to see if both batteries are depleted the same amount when using. Hopefully that will mean the camera's battery meter will indicate the amount of charge for both batteries. I have four Pentax brand batteries that I use.
When you do that test, I suggest that you also monitor the batteries' levels with Select Battery in Set-up Menu #5.
12-28-2020, 08:29 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I do the Grip first priority on my KP. Treat the in-body battery as a back-up/keep alive.
The auto setting, from my past experience, will show green till the second one is close to being depleted.

12-28-2020, 08:36 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hopefully that will mean the camera's battery meter will indicate the amount of charge for both batteries.
No, it does not do that. It indicates the charge level of the battery in use.
12-28-2020, 10:31 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My understanding is that it is not good to allow the battery to run completely dead.
I have always read that it is good to fully drain a battery.

I don't have a grip, but if I did what you are describing would be what I would want it to do.
01-02-2021, 10:23 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I have always read that it is good to fully drain a battery.

I don't have a grip, but if I did what you are describing would be what I would want it to do.
Old Ni-Cd cells would benefit from full charge-discharge cycles breaking up the forming crystals, new lithium's do not.
The more they get discharged the more lithium is used up till it is all consumed.