Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
02-01-2021, 04:58 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sidney Porter Quote
I jumped into the KP pool with the $700 adorama +free flash.

Coming from a k3 and k100d

First impression(compared to k3)
- even with the large grip it is smaller
- just as solid
- the af button is slightly farther to the left but I am adjusting
- the lack of lcd isn't as bad as I thought
- the single sd will not be an issue (I don't shoot weddings etc). Although I will need a larger one for jpeg+raw
- the low light high iso is really really good
- the buffer will be fine for my needs. I shoot lacrosse and swimming but I usually just shoot jpeg for those.
- size is fine with my largest lens tamron 70-200 2.8

Still need to test the af-c. I think it will be better than the k3.

No k3iii for awhile this will serve the purpose. Life is good
Congrats! Looks like you are already discovering the delights of this uniquely awesome camera. For JPEGs, I recommend going into the Custom Image menus to implement "Fine Sharpening", especially in the standard "Bright" category that is most often used. Any trouble getting there, just give a shout. The KP has an exceptionally excellent JPEG processing engine for fine results right out of the camera.

02-01-2021, 05:32 PM   #17
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
some feature or other that was purely for show, like the LEDs in the grip of whatever earlier DSLR that was
K-S1. It was one of the things that made some members doubt that this was a serious camera rather than a mere fashion statement (even though it was).
02-03-2021, 09:35 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Gotta a slightly used black one on the way to replace my aging K3.
02-04-2021, 01:31 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DeKay Quote
I’m still really disappointed (not the word I want to use) that the Australian version doesn’t come with the 3 grips It only comes with the medium grip.
Couple that with the fact they want to charge AU$100 each to buy the small & large grips!

I’ve become very used to the medium grip, but would like to try the large one..
My Australian KP came with a small grip (late 2019). I bought a battery grip from the US (Amazon.... $210 delivered).

I also bought a medium grip at some stage.

02-04-2021, 01:52 AM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Still liking my KP which I bought in October to replace my dead K10d. I had a problem where shots were being written to the card, preventing the next shot being taken for several seconds, even in multi drive mode (and a top spec SD card). With so many different settings and options it was tricky to sort out until I transferred the settings into Excel (only 135 rows) so I could compare settings easily between the U1 to U5 modes (U3 was working normally). Tracked this down to the clarity setting which when set on, stops the next shot until the previous one finished writing to the card. Need to investigate further but having each set of settings side by side helped a lot.
02-04-2021, 02:30 AM - 2 Likes   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevejo Quote
Still liking my KP which I bought in October to replace my dead K10d. I had a problem where shots were being written to the card, preventing the next shot being taken for several seconds, even in multi drive mode (and a top spec SD card). With so many different settings and options it was tricky to sort out until I transferred the settings into Excel (only 135 rows) so I could compare settings easily between the U1 to U5 modes (U3 was working normally). Tracked this down to the clarity setting which when set on, stops the next shot until the previous one finished writing to the card. Need to investigate further but having each set of settings side by side helped a lot.
As soon as you started describing the delay I thought "clarity" (been there ) all of the fine tuning options a apply themselves to jpeg in camera. I shoot raw so keep them on zero, unless I fancy playing with jpegs that is.

If you do fancy having a play, there are some jpeg recipes in this and another thread (there's a link to the other in here). The Recipes are settings for changing your colour (bright, vivid, mono etc.) So that the output resembles film. They make for some very interesting results. Have a look

Creating a jpeg style - PentaxForums.com
02-04-2021, 09:36 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
As soon as you started describing the delay I thought "clarity" (been there ) all of the fine tuning options a apply themselves to jpeg in camera. I shoot raw so keep them on zero, unless I fancy playing with jpegs that is.
If you do fancy having a play, there are some jpeg recipes in this and another thread (there's a link to the other in here). The Recipes are settings for changing your colour (bright, vivid, mono etc.) So that the output resembles film. They make for some very interesting results. Have a look
Creating a jpeg style - PentaxForums.com
Thanks. I generally use RAW + JPEG nowadays. Makes very little difference to the speed of things, so always have a JPEG when I just want a snap, but always have a RAW when I want to do more processing and don't have to remember to press the RAW button beforehand.

05-16-2021, 05:09 AM   #23

I did buy one too. great crop camera. I already have the K-1, but KP is much portable. I am thinking of getting the K-3iii if the price decreases.
05-16-2021, 01:30 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevejo Quote
Thanks. I generally use RAW + JPEG nowadays. Makes very little difference to the speed of things, so always have a JPEG when I just want a snap, but always have a RAW when I want to do more processing and don't have to remember to press the RAW button beforehand.
I doing the same. I just have to remember when uploading to light room that today's images include the jpegs so I am careful just to select the raws
05-20-2021, 08:13 PM   #25
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just received my KP! Wow, quite a learning curve; but I really love it so far!
05-27-2021, 03:04 PM - 1 Like   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by csa Quote
Just received my KP! Wow, quite a learning curve; but I really love it so far!
Congrats! It's a great camera.