Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
01-30-2021, 06:58 PM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Good point. The problem is that I would keep the battery at about 50% charge to avoid storage related drops in capacity.
I try not to overthink it. If the battery ever starts to wane to the point it won't carry 100 flashes or so then I'll buy another. I suspect that will be a few years away.

01-30-2021, 07:21 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
I try not to overthink it. If the battery ever starts to wane to the point it won't carry 100 flashes or so then I'll buy another. I suspect that will be a few years away.
That’s a reasonable option.
01-31-2021, 01:06 PM - 1 Like   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Congratulations. The KP is a big upgrade from the K-50.

My tips/comments for new owners:
1. If your camera came with the three handgrips, try each out for a while. I prefer the L personally, but even that has a different feel from any other Pentax camera I have used (K100D, K-30, K-3, K-S2).
2. On the third wheel, assign C1 to ISO. Very handy in any mode where you can set the ISO.
3. AE setting on the wheel is handy too. I like being able to toggle between spot, centre-weighted and matrix metering. (I switch between them more than most people would - spot for birds in trees, centre weighted for "things", animals and people, and matrix for landscapes.)
4. I gave up on back-button focusing. I didn't find the position of the button convenient.
5. If you haven't had a tilt screen before, you will love it for tripod shooting and for low/high angles (e.g. low to the ground or waist level). There are two focus peaking modes - try them and see which you prefer.
6. The LV focusing with the 55-300 PLM is just great. Works well for video.
7. You can shoot higher ISO. 3200 is usually quite clean and you can go higher when necessary. I am using DxO PL4 with DeepPrime and it handles high ISO very well.
8. Carry a spare battery. (Unless you are using the battery grip.)
9. PixelShift is amazing for stationary subjects. You need to check whether your PP software can handle it effectively though.
10. Warning: it pairs so well with the Limiteds you will surely want to buy more of them.

To the OP: if your free flash was the Flashpoint (Godox) V1, maybe get a Godox/Flashpoint trigger like the XPro-P so you can use it off-camera. The TT350P is a great little flash too (and when mounted on-camera can trigger the V1).
Thank you so much for your detailed information. I have bigger hands so I think I will prefer the largest grip, at least so far. As far as settings go, I like your suggestions but that will take some getting used to and some practice to remember what is where and when to switch. I am a very grab and go shooter so I am always looking for the best all around set-up as my default. I am determined to give back button focus another try but in all honesty I don’t see the big deal. The tilt screen is a big deal. This is my first camera with that option. Thankfully it takes the same battery as my K-50 so I now have 4 batteries. I process with Photoshop Elements 20 so I am not too concerned about the larger files, actually looking forward to them. I have the 70mm limited lens and I am looking forward to that combo for my next portrait session.
Thankfully my flash game is pretty solid and I use non-proprietary triggers so I am ready to go with that.
I really expect to be very happy with this camera. Thanks again.
02-01-2021, 04:36 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AE setting on the wheel is handy too.
Yes, I like this too. I do find the designation "AE" to be weird. AE usually refers to automatic exposure modes, like P, Av, Tv, etc.etc. instead of metering modes, which this actually is. I also like this controls design for quick access to bracketing, not seen on-body since the K20D. A lot going for it to make the omission of a top LCD worth it.

---------- Post added 02-01-21 at 04:43 PM ----------

Warning: it pairs so well with the Limiteds you will surely want to buy more of them.
Ha ha- so true! I wound up adding the DA 15mm and 70mm Ltds, even though already having the DA 21mm, 40mm, and the FA 77mm Ltd. But then again, upon getting the K-1 II, this prompted me to get the FA 31mm Ltd!!

---------- Post added 02-01-21 at 04:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Mastiff Quote
I have the 70mm limited lens and I am looking forward to that combo for my next portrait session.
That will be great for this purpose! No doubt you will be pleased.