Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
02-11-2021, 01:42 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Is the Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 a Good Pairing for the KP?

I'm thinking of getting the above-mentioned Sigma as a one-lens solution for most of the time on the KP. Does anyone use this lens particularly on the KP? How is the handling? How's the IQ?

The 20-40mm limited seems like the fancy one-lens solution for the KP, but it's both more expensive and a little slower - but if IQ or rendering is particularly better I might be convinced to save up for it.

Also looked at the Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4, it's in the Contemporary line which has a bit nicer looks and finish from what I've seen, but how does it compare to the above?

02-11-2021, 02:38 PM - 1 Like   #2

I just bought one. I use it on a K50 and K70. It is a fantastic lens. Very sharp images and a fast, quiet autofocus. I have been extremely please so far. Much better than the kit lens. It is a fairly large lens but I wouldn't call it bulky. It's solidly built but not a burden to carry around all day.

I can't imagine that it would have a problem working with your KP. Just double check the compatibility. it was giving a very good review in our forum.

Best of luck. Bob R
02-11-2021, 02:50 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I use it as my walk around on the KP. Sharp lens, nice color, quiet and quick focus. It's a Chunk of Glass though.
Good Luck
02-11-2021, 02:56 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thazooo Quote
I use it as my walk around on the KP. Sharp lens, nice color, quiet and quick focus. It's a Chunk of Glass though.
Good Luck
How does it handle with the different grips, if you use them? And do the strap lug positions make it hang awkwardly?

02-11-2021, 03:00 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Assuming you mean sigma 17-50mm, it's excellent but a bit bulky. I used to have the old sigma 18-50 (first version, 445 grams, 67mm filter size) which was okay but not stellar. The second version of the 18-50 had "macro" in the name and weighed about the same though has a larger 72mm filter. I later got a sigma 17-50 (565 grams, 77mm filter size) which was outstanding, quiet focusing (HSM motor), and performed optically very well on my KP. Used the largest KP grip, and even better to use the battery grip attachment.
02-11-2021, 03:18 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I love mine.....

https://flic.kr/p/2jUZ4ET

Hang up and DRIVE!

Last edited by MikeMcE; 02-11-2021 at 03:31 PM.
02-11-2021, 03:29 PM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

I've used the Sigma 17-50 on several portrait shoots. It's an underappreciated lens IMO, better overall than either the Pentax 16-50 or the Tamron based on reviews around the web including a comparison review here at PentaxForums.
DA* 16-50mm vs. Sigma and Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 Comparison Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

02-11-2021, 03:49 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yes, 17-50mm. Fingers got confused.
02-11-2021, 05:18 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by seventysixersfan Quote
Assuming you mean sigma 17-50mm, it's excellent but a bit bulky. I used to have the old sigma 18-50 (first version, 445 grams, 67mm filter size) which was okay but not stellar. The second version of the 18-50 had "macro" in the name and weighed about the same though has a larger 72mm filter. I later got a sigma 17-50 (565 grams, 77mm filter size) which was outstanding, quiet focusing (HSM motor), and performed optically very well on my KP. Used the largest KP grip, and even better to use the battery grip attachment.
I too have this Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM, use in on my KP and it is indeed just as good as described here^. I prefer using the largest supplied grip with it, and with the great matchup- a DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 as well. The f/2.8 aperture throughout is a major advantage, with a brighter VF and superior shutter speed especially for low light use. That said, my DA 20-40mm Ltd is also a fine pairing with this DA* tele-zoom, when f/4 is good enough for the need, and the reduced FL range is good enough also. It is more compact, very well-built, and offers WR throughout.

Worth noting, a new Pentax DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 PLM lens with top-flight WR construction is due to arrive soon, but will no doubt cost a whole lot more.
02-11-2021, 05:21 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AgentL Quote
How does it handle with the different grips, if you use them? And do the strap lug positions make it hang awkwardly?
It's nose heavy, I use the large grip and don't find it bothersome.
02-11-2021, 05:41 PM - 1 Like   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Also looked at the Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4, it's in the Contemporary line which has a bit nicer looks and finish from what I've seen, but how does it compare to the above?
I own the Sigma 17-70/2.8-4.0 (C) and it is a very capable lens on my K-3. My #2 pick was the Sigma 17-50/2.8 (the 18-50/2.8 is an older lens from some years back). I made my choice based on the weight difference, additional reach, and price point at the time. Prices are very good for the 17-50 right now, such that I would swing that direction if it were me.

In regards to pairing either with the KP, much depends on hand size and grip choice. I have used the 17-70 on a K-50 with no problems, but that camera while similar in weight and size to the KP has a deeper grip. Adding the battery grip may be needed with other than the smaller lens choices for that camera.

Steve
02-11-2021, 05:57 PM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm thinking of getting the above-mentioned Sigma as a one-lens solution for most of the time on the KP. Does anyone use this lens particularly on the KP? How is the handling? How's the IQ?

The 20-40mm limited seems like the fancy one-lens solution for the KP, but it's both more expensive and a little slower - but if IQ or rendering is particularly better I might be convinced to save up for it.
I did use the Sigma 17-50 on my KP and it was a very good lens, even though I feel it needed to be stopped down a little for better sharpness. Then I bought the DA20-40 for the WR to take on a trip to London. I sold the 17-50 because the 20-40 was just that much better IMO.

I don't change the grips on the KP, I use the large, and I also don't use the lugs because I use Black Rapid straps, there was no problem with hanging awkwardly. The Sigma is a front heavy lens, but it handles fine. As long as you are holding the camera with your right hand and cradling the lens with your left any lens will handle fine.
02-11-2021, 06:22 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I did use the Sigma 17-50 on my KP and it was a very good lens, even though I feel it needed to be stopped down a little for better sharpness. Then I bought the DA20-40 for the WR to take on a trip to London. I sold the 17-50 because the 20-40 was just that much better IMO.
How does the 20-40 seem better to you?
02-11-2021, 07:48 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How does the 20-40 seem better to you?
Image quality, colors, contrast, and good wide open. Less likely to flare, and it is smaller.
02-11-2021, 08:52 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

I only have the 17-50mm Sigma. I'm not fully confident in the AF yet, but that's true of many of my lenses. Zooms are the worst since you can't adjust for every focal length. But unlike many of my lenses I can get mostly good results with viewfinder MF on my cameras (mostly K-5 bodies), and of course live view AF seems good. I don't use the lens wide open a lot just because I haven't had a reason to, but I'm very happy with it for my usual f8 - f16 usage.

The Sigma of course isn't weather-sealed. I've used it in snow and light rain without incident. With a little more rain I'd put some plastic or at least a cloth over the lens, and with that I'd be pretty confident it would keep on working properly. However I'd lock it at 17mm before taking it off the camera if changing lenses in the rain or snow, since the inner workings are more exposed at longer focal lengths.

I imagine for flare the Pentax would win out, although I haven't had problems with flare in my usage so far with the 17-50. Contrast is probably less on the Sigma generally, but I'm guessing would be reasonably close after processing.