Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
04-18-2021, 06:47 AM   #46
dlhawes

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
...if the camera is turned off would there be a drain on the battery other than time after charging ?
My guess is it does drain the battery to sit around turned off, because main battery power is probably the first method of keeping the CMOS memory intact (remembering all those settings); also a guess, but there's probably a big capacitor that does the job when the battery's dead, but it's probably only good enough to keep the settings alive for half an hour or so, since it's only there to give you time enough to change the batteries without losing its mind.

04-18-2021, 01:00 PM   #47

I recently got a battery grip as well and i have to say Iam not quite sure how or if I like it.

getting the KP i feared the grip might be to small as I like the "big" K-50 K-3 grip a lot more. But after using the KP for a while I switched to the medium grip instead and I'am holding on to it until now.
with the battery grip it feels to big now (is this stupid or what?! ^^ )
having to turn both on/off switches on, missing the viewfinder a few times *blush* and the new feel of my KP... It does not feel right now but I hope it might change in time.

please don't get me wrong! I'am looking forward to continue the "testing"
10-30-2021, 02:00 AM   #48
Forum Member

Save to ask the most silly question I just came up with, but I really can't find it in my menu's. And I know for sure I've seen it: The battery grip's battery life status!?!

How do I get it in my screen? It's probably very simple - sorry, I know. But it's bugging my for quite a while now and ploughed through the manual a couple of times.

I've used the grip almost directly from the first day I own my KP and only take it off to change the in body battery.

Last edited by NickLapin; 10-31-2021 at 03:14 AM.
10-30-2021, 11:53 AM   #49

QuoteOriginally posted by NickLapin Quote
Save to aske the most silly question I just came up with, but I really can't find it in my menu's. And I know for sure I've seen it: The battery grip's battery life status!?!

How do I get it in my screen? It's probably very simple - sorry, I know. But it's bugging my for quite a while now and ploughed through the manual a couple of times.

I've used the grip almost directly from the first day I own my KP and only take it off to change the in body battery.
Go to Setup Menu 5, choose Select Battery, then choose Grip First.

10-31-2021, 02:10 AM   #50
Forum Member

Thanks! That is indeed the way to view battery life. In my memory I could see that from my 'home screen', by klicking 'down' (nav buttons). But that would have been on my previous camera, the K 20D with grip.
11-04-2021, 11:10 AM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by snakebite Quote
The larger batteries last significantly longer. Coming from a K5, I was surprised how quickly the KP small batteries lost their mojo. Adding the grip with the larger battery is a big improvement. Neither charger will accommodate the other battery. You need both.

It's not meant to be used this way, but one can cram the smaller capacity battery into the larger capacity battery charger and charge successfully....
12-11-2021, 05:02 AM   #52
Forum Member

I recently purchased a battery grip and I'm keeping all times attached to one of the two bodies I have.

I can fit it with the 16-85 inside my bag, together with the second body with the 55-300 (not PLM) attached. I used that combo at an open day held at the local Air Force base and it worked great.

The weather was poor with intermittent rain so the air display was almost entirely canceled but the static display was quite interesting and I used a lot LV to get around, above or below the fences. Not having to change the battery in such conditions was a very big plus.

Normally the life of the standard battery is enough for me for one day shooting, but there are circumstances when having a (much) bigger autonomy is important and that's the reason I decided to purchase the grip.

As many others already mentioned, it balance the camera better with heavy lenses, and shines when shooting in portrait mode. It might be cheaper in my opinion, however the construction quality is really good and on par with the camera. I may even buy a second one for the other body if/when I find a used one at good price.

12-11-2021, 06:59 AM   #53
dlhawes

I apologize for redundancy, since I failed to read the comments posted heretofore, but here's my two-cents' worth: I love it. It balances out the camera really well, in terms of weight distribution, and counter-balances heavier lenses (e.g., the DA* 11-18); it not only holds the extra battery (as well as a spare SDXC card), but that battery can be the larger capacity version that fits the K-1; it does make portrait-mode a whole lot easier, especially as I use back-button AF. Disadvantages: the 1/4" screw hold on the bottom is offset in a way that makes it hard to use with a gimbal mount without an adapter, and it's too hard to get the battery out of the KP itself, because you've got to remove the grip to do it (I keep the grip on all the time except, of course, while changing the battery). Fortunately, I can tell the camera to use the battery in the grip before tapping the one in the camera, so if I catch it in time to recharge the bigger battery in the grip, I don't have to swap out the one in the camera as often. Still, it's a bit of a pain. Worth it, though.
12-11-2021, 07:09 AM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have never been a fan of battery grips, but on the KP the grip is very nice. The overall small size keeps some of the charm of the camera alone and, of course, the ability to use the larger battery with the KP helps a lot.
12-13-2021, 06:01 AM - 1 Like   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Same for me Mike, the grip makes the camera tall but still keeps the charm like you say. The larger battery in winter is fantastic and the ergonomics in portrait orientation is wonderful.
12-13-2021, 07:03 PM   #56
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybe we can say that the KP battery grip is a "Conversion Utility".