Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
02-15-2021, 03:24 AM   #16
dlhawes

QuoteOriginally posted by K2 to K50 Quote
  1. I am a frequent, semi-compulsive half-shutter press user - even when I decide not to take a shot.
  2. I keep forgetting to turn the LCD screen off when keeping the camera turned on.
  3. Ahem......I sometimes forget to switch the camera off when I finish shooting for the day!!!!
I am often torn between setting the camera to use the battery in the body first, or use the battery in the grip first (ease of replacing the grip battery vs need to remove the grip to replace the body battery, vs wanting to keep the grip battery fully charged in case I want to switch to portrait orientation.

All that said, does anyone use the D L190 battery in the grip, and if so, just how much longer does it last than the D L109??
And can the D L109 charger be used to charge a D L190, or must one buy the dedicated D L190 charger?
1. Switch to back-button focus. Half-press will still do metering but won't waste amperage on autofocus.
2. Set the auto-sleep function on - I use the 30 minute option to accomodate my long pauses between serendipitous opportunities for taking a shot or two while, for example, waking through the woods.
3. I do that too, but the auto-sleep thing seems to be effective in cutting battery current loss.

And, yes; however, I haven't seen any real data on it, and it would obviously depend on how you use the camera, but for me, using the larger battery gives you about 30% more duration than the skinny battery. And, yes, again, it does require the use of a different charger. Promaster has a set consisting of a charger along with a brand-x battery for a reasonable price.

I leave the thing on the camera as much as possible - I use the K-1 battery in the grip, set the camera to use that one first, and treat the KP battery in the camera as backup. That's because I try to avoid taking the grip off at all - I've found that if it isn't mounted exactly right, I get problems because the contacts don't always meet up correctly.

02-15-2021, 04:09 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Mmm... I like the KP 85.65% of the time with just the medium grip. I hold it like a KP not a K1 or K3 or K5. It is special.

Anyway... I bought the Battery grip for the other 14.35% of the time when I use it sorta like a K1, K3... etc you get the idea.... however.... I still leave the medium grip on when using the battery grip.... just easier and doesn't matter much.... saves 100 heart beats as well for other things (that's like 90 seconds american)

Now try as hard as I can..... I'm yet to work out how to make a K1, K3 and K5 handle like a KP.... so.... see how special the KP is?
02-15-2021, 03:11 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I purchased the grip when it was on sale a while back. I like the feel of it, but mainly use it when I will be using live view a lot. Usually when on a tripod & and focus stacking with live view. I use it with the little KP batteries, which I have four of.
The first time I used it I was using live view a lot and even though I started with two freshly charged batteries I completely discharged both of them.
The only negative thing for me is that with the grip attached it will not fit in my shoulder bag unless I reconfigure it and carry fewer lenses. I am looking for another bag.
02-15-2021, 07:31 PM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dlhawes Quote
1. Switch to back-button focus. Half-press will still do metering but won't waste amperage on autofocus.......
After nearly 18 months of owning the KP I have yet to try the back button focus. I can particularly see how it would help in composing and framing, after setting the focus, but never got around to experiment with it. Must assign myself a "back button" familiarisation session one day soon!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by Wingincamera Quote

The only negative thing for me is that with the grip attached it will not fit in my shoulder bag unless I reconfigure it and carry fewer lenses. I am looking for another bag.
Yes, it sits up quite a bit in my backpack too, but..........

02-16-2021, 01:14 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the KP battery grip, and so far I like it on more than off, if not just for easier orientation changes. I have medium sized hands, and it definitely feels pretty large. I have to stretch my fingers a bit to reach the controls vs everything being closer in the normal orientation. With the larger battery, it lasts forever. Didn't go below the 'green' battery level indicator on a 3 hour walk in -11°F taking ~300 pictures. So far I'm enjoying it greatly! Just a bit large (which some prefer!).
02-17-2021, 09:45 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Someone wrote: "All that said, does anyone use the D L190 battery in the grip, and if so, just how much longer does it last than the D L109??
And can the D L109 charger be used to charge a D L190, or must one buy the dedicated D L190 charger?"

Can anyone else pipe in on this question?
02-17-2021, 10:14 PM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kshapero Quote
I think the post no 16 by dlhawes at the top of this page answered these points - or had you seen this but are asking for more responses from others?

02-18-2021, 10:57 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

I find my KP handles perfectly with just the medium grip on my extensive collection of lenses (just the two!16-85 and PLM)

I would rather retain the original svelte lines the designer intended.Any lack of battery life is overcome by carrying a spare or two.
02-18-2021, 12:02 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

[*]Buying the battery grip got me the large-size camera body grip, which I prefer to the default small grip (which is how the KP is sold here in Australia).
That still baffles me as to why Aussies get just one grip and we get all three. Apparently they think that we can't make our minds up and that you don't care.

After nearly 18 months of owning the KP I have yet to try the back button focus. I can particularly see how it would help in composing and framing, after setting the focus, but never got around to experiment with it. Must assign myself a "back button" familiarisation session one day soon!!!
I switched to back button focus while using my K-50 and continue on with the KP, and I think it has helped my shooting skills. I think that when I was using the shutter button to autofocus it would sometimes re-focus as I pushed it all the way. Maybe that is not it, but I believe I got more shots in focus on the K-50 after switching. Of course that went up even more with the autofocus of the KP.
03-18-2021, 06:12 PM   #25

Someone wrote: "All that said, does anyone use the D L190 battery in the grip, and if so, just how much longer does it last than the D L109??
And can the D L109 charger be used to charge a D L190, or must one buy the dedicated D L190 charger?"

The larger batteries last significantly longer. Coming from a K5, I was surprised how quickly the KP small batteries lost their mojo. Adding the grip with the larger battery is a big improvement. Neither charger will accommodate the other battery. You need both.
03-19-2021, 05:13 AM   #26

Like many of the comments here, I too use the battery grip only in some circumstances. I find it quite helpful for wildlife shooting. It helps to balance the longer lenses (DFA 150-450), and having that extra battery already in place is great when you're muddy. I also use it occasionally with something like the DA 70mm, as it's useful when shooting with a portrait orientation. For walking around town or shooting wide angle landscapes, I generally leave it off.
03-19-2021, 06:20 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter

Below 0C (32F), the battery grip makes a very large difference--even with just a second KP battery.
03-19-2021, 07:06 PM   #28

Who is using this? Give me your experiences. Would be nice to have that extra battery.
I added a battery grip last November when they were on sale for $149. Given that I don't care for using my K-3's grip, I find it curious that I actually like using the KP grip. I find the KP + grip more ergonomic and comfortable to handle than the K-3 plus its grip. If you can get one at a sale price its well worth having.

Last edited by BryantCP; 03-20-2021 at 03:49 PM.
03-21-2021, 03:44 PM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by snakebite Quote
Coming from a K5, I was surprised how quickly the KP small batteries lost their mojo.
Yes, that can happen, even if just sitting for a lengthy period. The battery grip would double that time with another of the same standard battery in it, but would provide yet far greater additional time with the larger battery in the grip. The KP with its battery grip also provides a lot more gripping surface as well as very substantial shooting time without battery changes, yet is not as heavy or as bulky as the K-5 with its battery grip.

After acquiring the K-1 II also, which uses the same battery as the K-5, I was rather surprised to find battery life between changes to be noticeable less than with the K-5, though still not as short in time as the KP with its smaller battery and no added battery grip.
03-23-2021, 11:14 AM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

The grip needs the DLI90 type battery to make the combo work like a Pentax should work - long time in super cold environment.