Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-16-2021, 12:49 PM   #1

Upgrade to KP from K-r?

I am currently shooting a K-r with the Tamron 70-200 1:2.8 for my daughter's gymnastics, which are typically in event halls and gyms with poor lighting. Would jumping from my 10+ year old K-r to a KP give me a significant jump in exposure quality? Thanks!

02-16-2021, 01:41 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Martowski Quote
I am currently shooting a K-r with the Tamron 70-200 1:2.8 for my daughter's gymnastics, which are typically in event halls and gyms with poor lighting. Would jumping from my 10+ year old K-r to a KP give me a significant jump in exposure quality? Thanks!
For sure! I recently upgraded from the K50 to the KP. The high iso images are way sharper and way cleaner. The KP also focuses much better than the KP. It’s a great camera. That Adorama deal for $695 with the free flash is also incredible value.
02-16-2021, 01:49 PM   #3
Forum Member

I routinely leave my KP on auto ISO with 3200 as the upper limit, confident that the image quality will be consistently high throughout this range. ISO 6400 is very usable beyond this if the lights are low.
02-16-2021, 03:06 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The KP low light ability will blow you away compared to you K-r

02-16-2021, 08:40 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
YES! it is even better in low light than my K-3 which I have recently upgraded from.
02-16-2021, 08:49 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The KP will be a massive step up from the K-r in every respect. Go for it!
02-17-2021, 09:32 AM   #7

Original Poster
Okay, so you have all sold me on the fact that a KP will give me much better images in low light/high ISO than my K-r. Now, here's a question (well, maybe a few). I know a new K-3 III is coming out soon, but will that be a "flagship" model priced closer to $2,000 or so? If so, that's out of my league. Is there any talk of anything coming to replace the KP anytime soon? The current KP price under $700 is in my sweet spot so I'm thinking that might be the best deal for awhile, but just wanting to do a gut check.

Also, is there any merit in looking at a used K-3 II instead of the KP, or is the KP a better choice for what I'm looking to do? Thanks!!!

02-17-2021, 10:26 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Also, is there any merit in looking at a used K-3 II instead of the KP, or is the KP a better choice for what I'm looking to do? Thanks!!!
You would gain a deeper buffer (more shots in burst mode) and maybe better grip with your lens with the K-3 II. If you're using the in-camera JPGs, I'd still recommend the KP because of its better JPEG processing and noise reduction.
02-17-2021, 10:35 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
You would gain a deeper buffer (more shots in burst mode) and maybe better grip with your lens with the K-3 II. If you're using the in-camera JPGs, I'd still recommend the KP because of its better JPEG processing and noise reduction.
With the K-P you can still have a decent buffer if you shoot jpegs. The big issue is probably battery size and how long the charge lasts.
02-17-2021, 10:48 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You may want to consider the battery grip with the KP. It will really help balance out that 70-200. Plus, way more shots!!
02-17-2021, 01:09 PM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The big issue is probably battery size and how long the charge lasts.
The appeal of the KP (in addition to its excellent performance regarding image quality) is its form as a tough, WR, and yet compact DSLR, hence the battery grip is not for me. Norm has a good point - its D-Li109 battery has a relatively short charge duration, but you will be familiar with that, as it's the same lithium battery as fits the K-r. In my experience, it usually lasts for a few hours of a photography stroll, and I leave the camera switched on and use the LCD quite a lot. Nevertheless, I wouldn't risk setting off without having a spare charged battery in a pocket or in the bag.

Philip
02-17-2021, 07:08 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I used to have the nice little K-r, but- Wow! Not a jump, rather a huge leap!! In every respect!! I too sometimes shoot rather lengthy tournament events, and in gyms. For the kind of thing you are doing, and the kind of lens(es) you have to be using for such activity, that is- fast, large, and heavy, I also definitely recommend the battery grip. Better for being less likely to run low on juice at an inopportune time for battery-changing, and better for lengthy handling sessions, including holding when not shooting, especially with heavier lenses. The battery grip greatly expands the gripping surface, and has duplicate controls for extensive vertical shooting, and with the larger battery installed along with the smaller standard battery in the camera, will provide far more battery life not just over a KP without the grip, but far more than a flagship model without its battery grip. Yet, on-camera, the combined weight will be about the same as a K-3 II, and will be LESS than the forthcoming K-3 III without their battery grips! When purchasing, I recommend getting a spare standard battery plus at least one larger battery (the D-L190) for the battery grip.

Yes, the new APS-C flagship is expected to come in at least around $1,500 and probably higher. Be advised, the current pricing of a new KP is amazing for a camera in this class, designed as a compact field camera with pros and advanced photographers in mind. I mean, an outstanding bargain!!

One thing to keep in mind for best imaging results- avoid using the "Auto" setting on your mode dial, which disables the excellent controls and adjustments you are paying for, and use "P" mode instead if you wish fully automated exposure by the camera of both aperture and shutter speed. For events of this kind, however, I generally prefer to use the Tv or the Manual mode with some spot meter readings. With all adjustments and controls now being available- be sure to go into the KP's Custom Image menus to set up Fine Sharpening" especially in the most often-used "Bright" category. Access is via the "info" button. Any trouble doing this, just give a shout, we'd be glad to help.

Please go to the Pentax DSLR Discussion section and look for the thread- "Where to handle the KP in Ottawa, Canada" to take a look at my comments regarding the KP, battery grip, etc. 3 posts, nos. 12, 14, and 19 for many more details.

---------- Post added 02-17-21 at 07:30 PM ----------

Also, is there any merit in looking at a used K-3 II instead of the KP, or is the KP a better choice for what I'm looking to do?
Definitely the better choice. I also have the predecessor to the K-3, the K-5 IIs former flagship and of similar design, which stands even slightly better for low light use, but no comparison to the KP.

Last edited by mikesbike; 02-17-2021 at 07:32 PM.
02-17-2021, 07:36 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I used to have the nice little K-r, but- Wow! Not a jump, rather a huge leap!! In every respect!! I too sometimes shoot rather lengthy tournament events, and in gyms. For the kind of thing you are doing, and the kind of lens(es) you have to be using for such activity, that is- fast, large, and heavy, I also definitely recommend the battery grip. Better for being less likely to run low on juice at an inopportune time for battery-changing, and better for lengthy handling sessions, including holding when not shooting, especially with heavier lenses. The battery grip greatly expands the gripping surface, and has duplicate controls for extensive vertical shooting, and with the larger battery installed along with the smaller standard battery in the camera, will provide far more battery life not just over a KP without the grip, but far more than a flagship model without its battery grip. Yet, on-camera, the combined weight will be about the same as a K-3 II, and will be LESS than the forthcoming K-3 III without their battery grips! When purchasing, I recommend getting a spare standard battery plus at least one larger battery (the D-L190) for the battery grip.

Yes, the new APS-C flagship is expected to come in at least around $1,500 and probably higher. Be advised, the current pricing of a new KP is amazing for a camera in this class, designed as a compact field camera with pros and advanced photographers in mind. I mean, an outstanding bargain!!

One thing to keep in mind for best imaging results- avoid using the "Auto" setting on your mode dial, which disables the excellent controls and adjustments you are paying for, and use "P" mode instead if you wish fully automated exposure by the camera of both aperture and shutter speed. For events of this kind, however, I generally prefer to use the Tv or the Manual mode with some spot meter readings. With all adjustments and controls now being available- be sure to go into the KP's Custom Image menus to set up Fine Sharpening" especially in the most often-used "Bright" category. Access is via the "info" button. Any trouble doing this, just give a shout, we'd be glad to help.

Please go to the Pentax DSLR Discussion section and look for the thread- "Where to handle the KP in Ottawa, Canada" to take a look at my comments regarding the KP, battery grip, etc. 3 posts, nos. 12, 14, and 19 for many more details.

---------- Post added 02-17-21 at 07:30 PM ----------

Definitely the better choice. I also have the predecessor to the K-3, the K-5 IIs former flagship and of similar design, which stands even slightly better for low light use, but no comparison to the KP.
Thank you everyone, especially mikesbike for the great detail! I'll check out your other post. The more you all keep talking this up, the more I'm inclined to pull the trigger on the KP soon. It sounds like the deals on this right now are pretty darn good and not likely to come down much, and the KP will be a much better camera for me than my current K-r.
02-17-2021, 07:56 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thank you everyone, especially mikesbike for the great detail! I'll check out your other post. The more you all keep talking this up, the more I'm inclined to pull the trigger on the KP soon. It sounds like the deals on this right now are pretty darn good and not likely to come down much, and the KP will be a much better camera for me than my current K-r.
It's such a leap! You won't be disappointed. Consider the battery grip though, especially if you'll be using longer longer lenses. It makes it much more ergonomic.
02-17-2021, 09:57 PM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I own the K-3 and recently upgraded to the KP as I mentioned earlier. I almost bought the k-3II when I bought my K-3 - but I really wanted onboard flash and had not need of GPS and it was about $200 cheaper per copy on the special deal I had and I was buying a pair of them. In the end the decision was the right one I think.

As to replacement for the KP - no such camera is in the pipeline that we know of. And Ricoh just announced the K-3III is delayed due to supply issues. (other manufacturers are also experiencing problems with supply chain due to Covid). Even if there was a miracle and a previously unannounced camera replaced the KP it would likely be priced around $1100 or $1200 vs. the $700 the KP is offered at right now. BUY IT before someone plays Lucy to your Charlie Brown and the KP deal vanishes!