Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
02-19-2021, 03:28 AM   #1
Forum Member

New KP

I was hoping to get the new K3-III as an upgrade from my K50 but with the announcement it was indefinitely delayed, I bought, on impulse, a new KP (silver body - UK £690 cheapest I could find).
Arrived quickly enough, ordered yesterday, arrived today. Meant to be new, but the box has been opened and looks a little tired.
Initial impressions, as I wait for the battery to charge, are - what have I done!
Given the condition of the box I need to check the shutter count but camera and battery are immaculate - never been touched - so hopefully all ok.
Even with the large grip on, and I have small hands, it isn't as comfortable to hold as my K50. The button layout is going to take some getting used to - for some reason it reminds me of my old Zenith E (though memory is really hazy).
I guess I shouldn't be surprised, it is as described in many reviews.

Looking forward to the first pictures - fitted my favorite lens a Revuenon 55mm f1.2 - I just hope it doesn't disappoint.....

02-19-2021, 03:46 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I had a similar experience with mine which I purchased in October for a similiar price. The sticker had been removed from box closure, so was suspicious at first. Everything inside however was perfect so checked out the shutter count and that just had a couple on it (which I assume will be a quick check after manufacture), so didn't return it. If it was a shop display model it should have been sold as such. I did look at a s/h one which was a shop display so effectively new, but was actually more than my new one, so didn't worry too much. You may want to send a query to the seller just in case you find any issues and complain a bit as it may have been a return. They may offer something even if its a free filter.
I think you have grounds to return it as it should have arrived in a sealed box if you are unhappy.

Last edited by stevejo; 02-19-2021 at 04:05 AM.
02-19-2021, 03:51 AM   #3
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's a good price for a UK camera, I wouldn't be too worried about the tatty box so long as the camera is good. The handling is something you first get used to and then begin to like and then love. Much more like an old 35mm film camera. I picked up my K5 for the first time in a few months and it suddenly felt quite chunky after handling the KP. Once you get used to the layout and find the customisation which suits you it's a breeze to change setings you commonly use, especially useful is the third wheel. I doubt you'll be disappointed.
02-19-2021, 04:52 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Not a good start and it just got worse - I couldn't take a picture with the Revuenon fitted. F-- flashing. Tried my FA 200m F2.8 same problem? Call to the camera shop and a few twiddles later and the camera recognised the lens. Life is much easier with the K50 it just works...
A quick snap out of my office window - nothing special but the IQ leaves my K50 for dead. With the naked eye I can't see the bolt holding the antenna up from where I am sitting but zoom in and you can count the threads.
OK I might like this camera - but I think I might just have to read the manual and figure out what does what...

02-19-2021, 04:58 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MJ43 Quote
the IQ leaves my K50 for dead.

Pardon the pun, but this /\/\/\/\/\/\ is what you should focus on! With a bit of perseverence and customisation (which is one of the KP's strongest points) I'm sure given time you will be delighted.

Last edited by timb64; 02-19-2021 at 04:59 AM. Reason: Correct spelling!
02-19-2021, 05:16 AM   #6
Forum Member

I was initially the same regarding the grip and comfort. Over time I found that handling the KP requires a subtly different approach to traditional DSLRs. As mentioned in an earlier post, it's more like a 35mm film body, in that your left hand 'cradles' the camera and you tend to rely much less on the right hand grip to solely support the camera. Hard to explain, but it makes the camera a joy to handle and operate.
02-19-2021, 07:25 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
This experience of mine may help you. There are quite a few settings on the KP (bit of an understatement). Some settings may introduce problems which can be hard to figure out. I would suggest leaving one of the customizable U modes (like U5) at the default setting. If you come across an issue, change to U5 and see if it goes away.
In my case, turning on the Clarity setting caused a delay of 3 to 5 seconds in taking the next shot until the buffer was cleared (even on motor drive mode). Still having U3 in my case on the default settings showed that this was a fault in my configuration rather than a fault on the camera.

I ended up with all of the customizable settings listed in Excel against each mode, so I could quickly check what was different.

02-19-2021, 07:38 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not a good start and it just got worse - I couldn't take a picture with the Revuenon fitted. F-- flashing. Tried my FA 200m F2.8 same problem? Call to the camera shop and a few twiddles later and the camera recognised the lens. Life is much easier with the K50 it just works...
A quick snap out of my office window - nothing special but the IQ leaves my K50 for dead. With the naked eye I can't see the bolt holding the antenna up from where I am sitting but zoom in and you can count the threads.
OK I might like this camera - but I think I might just have to read the manual and figure out what does what...
Out of the box, use aperture ring is disabled on all Pentax DSLRs as far as I know. Also with the fa 200, was the aperture ring on A? I’m not aware of any other reason for f— other than dirty contacts.
02-19-2021, 08:18 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Even with the large grip on, and I have small hands, it isn't as comfortable to hold as my K50. The button layout is going to take some getting used to ....
It won’t take long and it will an extension of your right hand. For myself going back to shooting with the K-50 seemed strange and awkward. I use back button focusing and that button placement was the biggest difference, but once I got used to that I think it is a much better place, ergonomically speaking.
02-19-2021, 08:28 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The KP is a retro camera, especially the silver version (that's what I have). It is quite different to all other Pentax cameras and that is down to the grips. I used the medium for a while, then the large. That is the beauty of it. Each grip has a purpose. Small and medium are great with limiteds and primes, medium and large for larger lenses and zooms. At some point think about a battery grip as that makes it beautifully balanced with big lenses. The IQ with limited lenses is quite superb, I personally believe the limiteds are what it was made for. With the dials and buttons I have the whole exposure triangle between my thumb and forefinger. Persevere. The vast majority of pentaxian love the KP, I know I do.

Read this
Pentax KP Review - Recommended Settings | PentaxForums.com Reviews

And watch this
02-19-2021, 09:03 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Out of the box, use aperture ring is disabled on all Pentax DSLRs as far as I know. Also with the fa 200, was the aperture ring on A? I’m not aware of any other reason for f— other than dirty contacts.
Out of desperation I started reading the manual. Yes the ring is disabled out of the box, after wading through many menus the Revuenon is working (though not as well as on the K50?). Many more hours ahead of me reading the manual trying to figure out what to configure and where it is in the menu system.

Thanks for all the helpful comments - I think I am going to enjoy the camera.

Last edited by MJ43; 02-19-2021 at 09:19 AM.
02-19-2021, 10:00 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Out of desperation I started reading the manual.
It must be dire if the situation forces one to take such actions
02-19-2021, 11:59 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

Out of desperation I started reading the manual.
Desperate times call for desperate measures.
02-19-2021, 01:24 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just for reference, I have bought many new bodies and lenses and I have never seen a seal on any of the boxes.

If I saw one, it would go straight back without me opening the box because they don't come from the factory with them.

Congratulations BTW, its a fine body especially in silver.
02-19-2021, 02:31 PM - 1 Like   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
148 pages - but I am getting there. Got the Revuenon working only needed 1 stop on the AF fine tune and that is debatable (8 stops on the K50). The lens is really difficult to focus fully open (F1.2) and it makes a difference if you are going short to long or vice-a-versa on finding the focus point. Colour rendition in the shot of my desk (excuse the mess) under a LED light with the camera on default settings is really close to actual. I am beginning to like the KP and my initial concerns are melting away.