Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-07-2021, 05:24 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Wohoo New KP! Initial thoughts and questions.

I have been using my Red K-50 since new. THe K-50 replaced my K10D. The KP came yesterday Saturday from Adorama with the really nice free flash and a sling bag which may arrive later?

First thoughts.

Wow this camera is small in my hands. I have ordered a battery grip because when holding with one hand my pinky has no grip and this KP feels heavier. Well it is a metal framed camera.

I did not realize the K50 was a plastic body. Just did not think about it. Thank Goodness it hasn't had any collisions. I went and tried on my K10D and yup similar weight but also the K10D is bigger physically so more grip.

I like the silent electronic shutter. I haven't figured out how to not turn off shake when using electronic shutter. I really like that i don't have to reset the date time with every battery change.

Im loving the extra ISO room. I am trying to use the PLM with the x1.4 and at 300mm its 420mm and f9.5 and its better with the KP - which is keeping the 150 - 450 at bay for now. Also in a pinch i can back it off to where it drops to f8 and still be around 350mm. Yes i realize it is a crop already so multiply by 1.5 again. But the point is it is reaching the Cardinals and Woodpeckers and filling more frame and the KP does a nice job with iso.

That tilt screen is awesome. I have to admit mounted on a tripod, looking almost straight up at the stars i was having a hard time with the stationary lcd. This tilt screen is such a nice feature. I understand its not the super duper K-1 screen- but still this is nice. This kind of screen should be on the K3-3. Or mayhaps they will build a KP II? Wishful thinking on my part.

Pentax if your listening. Here is an idea for you. Sell camera body styles which can then be loaded with Motherboards of differing price points -some apsc some FF and maybe one med frame board. I see a lot of Pentaxians commenting- this button is in the wrong place or I wish I could just keep my body and upgrade with a new board - well that is really my thought. I love how the K10 feels. It is to bad I cant buy KP guts to go in the K10 for instance. Except for the screen tlt. I do not thing this is a fad. It is useful and will be used many times.

Anyway we will see how far this gets. Probably not to far. oh well. I am loving my new KP. Yes reading the manual as i go.

03-07-2021, 05:41 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations on the new KP. It is an excellent tool and also an excellent value at the sale price.

QuoteOriginally posted by Risxsoul Quote
I haven't figured out how to not turn off shake when using electronic shutter.
You can't. The two features are incompatible (see camera manual p52).

Steve
03-07-2021, 06:03 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Yeah i found that page just a minute ago. Thanks Stevebrot.
03-07-2021, 07:16 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations, I also had a red K-50 before the KP. You will get used to the different grip pretty quickly, after a while you will probably prefer it to the K-50, I know I do and at first would never have believed that. I often use that DA 1.4 converter and 55-300 PLM combo or the converter DA *300 combo. The KP offers faster and better autofocus on both than with the K-50, which was no slouch.

I agree that flip screen is one of the most useful things on a camera for using a tripod. I don’t get into the Astro shooting, but I’ll often shoot from low angles and it is nice to not have to lay on the ground to see the screen. And I do use that electronic shutter on a tripod. As Steve said you cannot use shake reduction and the electronic shutter together, The electronic shutter is not ideal for motion, I will only use it on a tripod, intentionally anyway.

There is so much to like about the KP, a great tool for photography.

03-07-2021, 10:55 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congrats on getting this wonderful and very unique camera! I too like the feel of my K20D which is identical to the K10D. But I appreciate the KP for the deference it offers, which is also different than the K-5 or K-3 style. I don't do much in the way of one-handed shooting, but if I did it would be with a small lens and even then there'd be some compromise in stability. My K-S2 is pretty cool with its tiny DA-L 18-50mm and selfie feature with the camera held backwards and the wi-fi converted to a shutter release button when the rear screen is reversed to the frontward position.

For general handling, I usually hold the KP with my trigger finger up around the front dial housing where it is useful for assisting in the holding when not shooting. In my case, when using very small lenses, I prefer the broader-but-shallow smallest grip. But I also bought the battery grip so I can expand the camera's form greatly when needed, such as better balance with larger lenses, as well as when needing the much greater shooting time. The KP becomes quite a handful then, and even more so in the vertical hold. Be sure to order one of the larger size D-LI90 batteries to go with your grip, as well as a spare standard battery, which I believe would be the same one as used in your K50.