Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2021, 11:00 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A specific question about the KP

As used prices are not that much less than new, unless a great deal comes along, I will buy another K-70 (with an additional warrantee) or the KP. I know the K-70 but have not read all the threads here concerning the KP. Question: Are there "issues" with the KP that rival the aperture block problem with the K-70?

03-08-2021, 11:17 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gump Quote
As used prices are not that much less than new, unless a great deal comes along, I will buy another K-70 (with an additional warrantee) or the KP. I know the K-70 but have not read all the threads here concerning the KP. Question: Are there "issues" with the KP that rival the aperture block problem with the K-70?
None that I am aware of, having read many threads regarding the KP. Others may have a different opinion.
03-08-2021, 11:25 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
There appear to be no systemic reliability issues with the KP.
If there were, we would have seen it appear in this forum by now.
03-08-2021, 12:32 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No systemic reliability issues that I know of.

This model was a mixed bag for the faithful. The main ďissuesď that repelled some -including me- from the KP until recently were:

1) Unusual grip
2) Lower buffer size
3) Reduced frame rates
4) Price
EDIT: 5) smaller battery capacity

When the deals for the KP with the Flashpoint flash started making the rounds for under $700 I took notice.

Now that I own one I can safely say item 1 - the grip - isnít a big deal. You get used to it fairly quickly and it feels natural.

As for item 5; I donít have a battery grip for my KP but pocketing an extra battery is normal practice for me with any camera.

2&3 are more about perceived need as I donít do much action shooting.

Iím very happy with my purchase. However Iíve only owned it about a month - still in the honeymoon phase.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 03-08-2021 at 03:08 PM.
03-08-2021, 02:13 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Never say never. I said I would never buy a KP. Then the rumors started about the KP going out of production and the price came down. I canít afford the K3iii but I can afford the KP. I had to sell one of my beloved K-70s to do it but I donít have to worry about aperture solenoid failure now. So, never say never like I did a few weeks ago about parting with my K-70s. I havenít seen any major performance issues reported with the KP other than the grip and small battery issues.
03-15-2021, 08:15 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Had my KP for few years now. It has been to Finland once, Florida several times.
A great piece of travel kit that has performed well, reliability has been solid so far.
edit: D-BG7 and DLi90 straight out the gate, battery capacity and handling taken care from the start.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 03-15-2021 at 08:23 PM.
03-15-2021, 10:41 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have had my KP since December 2017. (well, I bought it in late November but wasn't "allowed" to use it until after 25 December!)
No troubles at all.
In Australia the box included the small grip only, and I could have managed OK, having used film cameras without any formed grip, but I bought the largest grip and it feels much nicer.
I don't shoot sports so the frame rate and buffer haven't been a problem.
A couple of spare after-market batteries are in my bag, but I rarely need to swap batteries when I am out.

03-16-2021, 01:24 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I've had mine for over 2 years, got it at a good price during a special sale at B&H. Now the price is even lower. At only about $150 above the K-70 it is a steal for this class of camera. I have only found functional superiority, in addition to imaging superiority. Better metering, better AF even or maybe especially with screw-driven lenses, and the newer controls design is great (based on and a refinement of that of the K-1). I now have the K-1 II also. The KP does indeed make a good companion to the K-1 II, and a very viable APS-C alternative! Image quality is very close, and the design very similar. The KP serves in being conveniently compact, definitely so for tele use. I did get the KP's battery grip for better handling balance with larger lenses and when I feel I want a bigger handful, and for events where I want to avoid battery changing. I am now a happy camper.
03-16-2021, 03:15 PM   #9
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The KP uses a different aperture mechanism (stepper motor), so isn't susceptible to the solenoid problem.

The KP is just a better class of camera. In day to day use the things that will stand out are:
- 3 wheels - you can't imagine how handy this is until you have tried it
- solid feel (metal chassis)
- quiet shutter (and ES option)
- more AF points - not just good for tracking, also more to select from
- better processor
- better exposure metering
- more OVF coverage
- better dust removal (far fewer issues than on my K-S2)

There are many other features when you dive deeper too. See this thread including Eddy's video: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/203-pentax-kp/421552-kp-last-good-value-pentax.html

I can't compare with the K-70, but the high ISO performance is excellent.

If you like the flippy screen of the K-70 you might find the tilt screen limiting sometimes. The KP doesn't work with the old shutter release. But it's hard to think of any other reason to get the K-70 if the price is even comparable.

Last edited by Des; 03-16-2021 at 03:27 PM.
03-16-2021, 04:54 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
The KP uses a different aperture mechanism (stepper motor), so isn't susceptible to the solenoid problem.

The KP is just a better class of camera. In day to day use the things that will stand out are:

- better dust removal (far fewer issues than on my K-S2)

I can't compare with the K-70, but the high ISO performance is excellent.

I've noticed this as well. I had to have my old k-50 especially but also the K-70 sensor-cleaned fairly commonly. (My store does it for free under their 3 year warranty, thankfully). Once the K-50 needed multiple cleanings to get everything out. I have yet to have my KP cleaned, and I've had it for over 6 months now. Can't speak to the future, but I'd say it's a good sign.

The K-70 is comparable to the KP sensor-wise in many respects. But the KP performs perceptibly better when pushed. As well, setting optimizations instantly in the field is MUCH easier on the KP. Plus, while I cannot quantify it, the 14 bit color of both the K-70/KP seem more vibrant than the 12-bit K-50 color. Don't know if it's real or in my head on this last point

Last edited by jgnfld; 03-16-2021 at 05:31 PM.
03-16-2021, 05:11 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
OK, you have spoken. My KP is to arrive tomorrow according to the Fed ex tracking system. As spring is about to sprung I am looking forward to givng it the test from landscape panos to wild flowers (my wife insists). My thanks for your responses.
03-16-2021, 10:03 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
gump, congratulations. you will not regret it.