Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2021, 04:03 PM - 3 Likes   #16
Veteran Member

The K-70 is a bargain camera for the advancements it offers for an entry-level DSLR. I have my little K-S2 for that style body, and like it a lot. However, I have come to appreciate many aspects afforded by the pro-grade little brother to the K-1 II, the KP's advanced metering, superior AF, and unique controls which are an even more refined design after the K-1. While the K-70 is a bargain in the amateur-oriented entry level department, with a lot of features for that department, the KP is truly a bargain for the class of camera it is!

03-11-2021, 04:22 PM - 1 Like   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't want to turn this into a KP vs K-70 thread but with the KP you do get the much quieter shutter mechanism, much reduced risk of aperture block failure, battery grip option, more advanced AF system.

As to it's value, I think a lot of it is to do with timing. As a long lived model it is now relatively inexpensive especially since over the lifetime of the product camera's have gone up in price not down.
03-11-2021, 06:42 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

The KP has several strengths that bring it into maybe not exactly the pro general use class, but definitely into the seasoned expert who takes a lot of pics class. All of the outdoor photography on both land and sea I personally am doing or am interested in trying is well within its reach and--and now here is the KP's undeniable greatest strength to my mind--it can be optimized to highly different contexts in literally 2 seconds. And where I am the need to do this is pretty much a daily occurance out on the bog, in the woods, or on the water. But I suspect urban photogs find the very same issue as well.
03-11-2021, 07:06 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I used to think they were virtually identical in iso performance. However on photons to photos website I see a bit more than half a stop of dynamic range improvements in the KP. Additionally since the KP lacks on sensor PDAF the possibility of shadow banding due to the PDAF points - not that I have heard of issues with the k70. Finally for insane iso the k70 doesn’t offer as high an iso. I’m unclear how practical the upper end iso is, but it’s there if you need it.
I was just comparing the two bodies with DPR's Image Comparison Tool... @ ISO 12800, the KP has a bit less noise, but the K-70 seems to hang onto a skosh more detail. At ISO 25600, the KP does better with both noise control and detail retention. Beyond that... it may not be pointless, but it is Pointillism

03-11-2021, 07:07 PM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Batman_ Quote
I don't want to turn this into a KP vs K-70 thread but with the KP you do get the much quieter shutter mechanism, much reduced risk of aperture block failure, battery grip option, more advanced AF system.
+1 to this. When I bought my K-70 a couple years ago, the price difference between the two models was nearly $300. Now that it's about $150, I would definitely go for the KP.
03-12-2021, 01:50 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
IQ-wise KP and K70 are quite similar I think. Build wise and form factor wise KP is the better camera. KP is the baby K1. Most important; it has a stepper motor instead of the solenoid mechanism for reliable aperture control.
03-12-2021, 09:21 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I was just comparing the two bodies with DPR's Image Comparison Tool... @ ISO 12800, the KP has a bit less noise, but the K-70 seems to hang onto a skosh more detail. At ISO 25600, the KP does better with both noise control and detail retention. Beyond that... it may not be pointless, but it is Pointillism
Sometimes I pushed into high iso territory on my k-3 for effect as much as anything. I have one shot made and printed that is 25600 iso. I wonder how far I’d have to push the k-70 or KP to get my desired effect? I have a KP so I may be able to answer the question at some point. When circumstances are ripe for it.

IMGP58932_DxO by -vanya_42nd-

03-12-2021, 10:25 AM   #23
Pentaxian

I think the thread should say "KP the latest good value Pentax". I have no doubt the K-3III will be discounted at some point....
03-15-2021, 08:09 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
I think the thread should say "KP the latest good value Pentax". I have no doubt the K-3III will be discounted at some point....
I don't think it'll reach the prices that older models did. I bought my K3 for about 750 GBP and the KP, which is a lower-level model, despite doing some things better (because it's newer), has never gotten anywhere close to that price.

The market has contracted drastically and that means lower margins, especially for items that sell fewer units, and that translates to fewer discounts.
03-15-2021, 01:25 PM - 1 Like   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
I don't think it'll reach the prices that older models did. I bought my K3 for about 750 GBP and the KP, which is a lower-level model, despite doing some things better (because it's newer), has never gotten anywhere close to that price.

The market has contracted drastically and that means lower margins, especially for items that sell fewer units, and that translates to fewer discounts.
Within euro zone and even in the UK, KP was discounted around 700 EUR quite a few times over the last 2 years. Some here probably paid even less than that when purchasing attractive bundles
03-15-2021, 02:32 PM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
My KP was £650 (brand new with two-year warranty) in the Christmas/New Year deals 2019-20. Great value indeed!

Philip
03-16-2021, 03:07 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
My KP was £650 (brand new with two-year warranty) in the Christmas/New Year deals 2019-20. Great value indeed!

Philip
I got mine at the same time from Bristol Cameras, £625 with a "bonus" spare battery, SD card and carrying case … I'll be keeping an eye on their prices when the K3iii is launched