Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2021, 12:49 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
KP,the last good value Pentax?

Just come across this and thought it was worthy of a thread.Apologies if someone has posted in another thread.

03-11-2021, 02:14 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks - that was a good video and echoes my feeling about the KP - a true gem of a camera. I believe that is our own Bruce Banner. I miss Eddy's contributions.
03-11-2021, 02:38 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

If the KP is/was "good value" then the K-70 must rate as an "absolute give-away".
Apart from one or two really quite esoteric features that most photographers are unlikely to use … 1/24000sec shutter, ultra low-light sensitivity … there's very little the KP can do that the K-70 doesn't … and some things the K-70 can do that the KP can't!
I know which one I'll trade in if I decide to get a K3iii
03-11-2021, 03:30 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yes, well, the notion of what represents "good value" in cameras is shifting somewhat, across the board. Some of those who attempt to offer good value on the old scale will undoubtedly not last the distance. We'll soon see how OMD prices their product, to make a profit where Olympus could not.

03-11-2021, 06:19 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
If the KP is/was "good value" then the K-70 must rate as an "absolute give-away".
Apart from one or two really quite esoteric features that most photographers are unlikely to use … 1/24000sec shutter, ultra low-light sensitivity … there's very little the KP can do that the K-70 doesn't … and some things the K-70 can do that the KP can't!
I know which one I'll trade in if I decide to get a K3iii
I have never used the k70. Are you saying that most photographers are unlikely to use the low light high iso on the kp? That seems like something a majority can benefit from
03-11-2021, 06:41 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sidney: High-ISO IQ wasn't exactly a weak spot with the K-70. I don't think it's much behind the KP in that department.

I think the K-70 is going to be the last "good value Pentax DSLR"; as was mentioned before it's largely the same as the KP but for less money.
03-11-2021, 07:37 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I believe we will see more pentax cameras with good value, but the good value usually comes at the end of the production cycle.

But on the other hand, in a smaller market prices tend to increase. So what is good value will probably change.

03-11-2021, 07:43 AM   #8

How very odd as at the time of the KP's release the biggest complaint was the price vs features and specifications over the K-3ii.
03-11-2021, 07:48 AM - 1 Like   #9
Pentaxian

The KP may be many things but at least over here it's never been good value. For what it costs you can get other cameras that are better by most measures, though of course they don' have what makes Pentax special - the ergonomics, the layout, the image quality...

I wouldn't consider the K-70 as good value either. A good value camera has to last longer than it's dodgy aperture block and allow many years of worry-free service.

The last good value Pentax was the K-3, or perhaps the mark II, I'm not sure what price that sold at toward the end of it's lifecycle.
03-11-2021, 07:52 AM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sidney Porter Quote
I have never used the k70. Are you saying that most photographers are unlikely to use the low light high iso on the kp? That seems like something a majority can benefit from
The K-70 is actually the model that debuted Pentax's "Accelerator". High-ISO performance between the two models is very similar.
03-11-2021, 09:45 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
The K-70 is actually the model that debuted Pentax's "Accelerator". High-ISO performance between the two models is very similar.
I used to think they were virtually identical in iso performance. However on photons to photos website I see a bit more than half a stop of dynamic range improvements in the KP. Additionally since the KP lacks on sensor PDAF the possibility of shadow banding due to the PDAF points - not that I have heard of issues with the k70. Finally for insane iso the k70 doesn’t offer as high an iso. I’m unclear how practical the upper end iso is, but it’s there if you need it.
03-11-2021, 10:02 AM   #12
Pentaxian

When the KP first came out I remember people thinking it was expensive for what it was...
03-11-2021, 10:13 AM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
When the KP first came out I remember people thinking it was expensive for what it was...
Yes, due to its comparison with the outstanding (for its price) K-70.

Philip
03-11-2021, 12:33 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Sidney Porter Quote
Maximum ISO on the KP is 819,200 and let's be honest, it is a little noisy but, if you really need it, it's there to use.
Maximum ISO on the K-70 is 102400 … 3 stops slower … dammit, I remember when 6400ASA film was FAST (and grainy), but we still coped
The "majority" will probably never get to use the ISO button/switch/whatever it is, let alone want/need anything above the "normal" range of settings or even understand what they're there for!
So yes, the "majority" could probably benefit, but are unlikely to realise it
03-11-2021, 01:10 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

More like "affordable premium." Pentax looks to be angling more for budget and expensive, which make sense but I sure like the middle ground that is the KP.